1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

can anyone or everyone sujest a book to help me?

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by starkeymom, Aug 7, 2007.

1. starkeymom

starkeymom New Member

Last Sunday I was saved and will be baptized next week.I am hungry to learn all I can and do all things through Christ . Can anyone or everyone suggest a good study guide for me to start with? I appreciate the help and guidence.:godisgood:

2. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

I would be glad to list a few, and I thank the Lord you are hungry to learn.

First, of course would be the Bible. I would start with the New Testament and read all the way through, and then begin at the beginning. I do not wish to make this thread a Bible version debate, but if you were to ask what version I suggested, I would say a King James Bible... others can suggest what they wish. I will try to set these up so that these are books you can read online so that I am not violating the advertisement rule ;)

Some other good books are:

The first book is exactly what the title states, a book for new Christians concerning foundational doctrines of Christian principles from the Bible. It is a quick and easy read, but very helpful, probably one of the best "beginners books" I have seen.

1. "Bible Foundations: Doctrinal Lessons for the New Christian"

You can read it online at http://www.springcitybaptist.org/index.htm
    Just go that page and it will be on the left in the column, titled as "Bible Foundations". I believe it is the third link from the bottom. It will open up in a PDF format (adobe).

Secondly, I was going to mention "The Next Step: For Growing Christians", but I could not find a link where you could read it online, it is available to order though.

Lastly, I suggest a book my pastor co-wrote, "About my Father's Business". This book deals with the Christian working for the Lord and being about His business. You can read all of this book online for free as well.

3. http://battlefieldbaptistchurch.com/about_my_father's_business.htm

3. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

With all due respect, Bro. W, when I go to your link and see pictures like this, well...it is just so wrong on so many levels.

[​IMG]

4. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Magnetic Poles opposed to Christians standing in the gate, displaying scripture?

"Oh, there's a big surprise. That's an incredible... I think I'm going to have a heart attack and die, from that surprise." - Lago, Aladdin

#4 Rufus_1611, Aug 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2007
  5. Magnetic Poles

No, I am opposed to using little children dressed up like little automatons, waving bibles in peoples faces and shouting to passersby, when they are not old enough to even understand what they are being forced to do by adults entrusted with their care. IMO, this is definitely abusive. The little boys appear to be about 3 and 5 years old.

This type of "Phelpsian" behavior belongs in cults, not in the church of Jesus Christ.

6. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

The boys are wearing ties, does this represent the uniform of an automaton? The girl is wearing a long flowing garment, is that bad? You have no evidence of them waving a Bible in peoples faces but raising up the word of the Lord on the street for all to see surely can not be considered a bad thing to a Christian can it? Shouting boldly the gospel of Christ would seem like a good thing as well to a Christian wouldn't it? If it's an age thing, you have no idea what those young boys do or do not understand. It is remarkable the things that children comprehend when fed the word on a daily basis. Do you believe Jesse was "abusive" for allowing the young David go to that camp and mix it up with that Philistine in the name of the Lord?

Regardless, my Lord is going to reward those parents one day for training those children up in the way they should go and my Lord is going to reward those children for being obedient to their parents in the Lord for this is right. The worst thing that could happen to those children is to listen to the world or carnal Christians telling them they shouldn't be on the street preaching the gospel of Christ because it is "abusive". I would desire that you find that street and hear their message so you might join Christians rather than always opposing them.

Finally, there is nothing "Phelpsian" about this picture or this body of believers. There are no "God hates fags" messages on those signs, just scripture. They are not protesting funerals as the Phelps clan does. The Phelps clan is Calvinistic, Battlefield is quite opposed to Calvinism. The Phelps clan has their women walking around in pants and shorts, this photo shows a young lady in modest apparel. Thus, I see no comparative evidence to come near to your libelous efforts and if you're going to make such a heinous statement, you might consider backing it up.

7. Magnetic Poles

The parents of these kids are using and exploiting them. I do not oppose Christians...I oppose evil wherever I find it, and sometimes that is in the nutty wing of the church. Do you honestly think anyone will be drawn to God by children, barely out of toddler stage, screaming on a street corner and holding up placards? This does just the opposite of the intended result...it drives people away from God. It tells the world that Christians are a bunch of crazy people that they should have nothing to do with.

Also, I never said the message was Phelpsian...but that the tactics were. This is shameful. Those kids should be playing cars, dolls, or whatever...not acting the role some church has assigned to them. I pity these children. They are innocent victims of the wacky end of the spectrum of Christianity. Child Protective Service needs to intervene in cases like this. I would imagine the parents of these kids probably didn't "spare the rod" to get the result seen in the picture. This is not normal behavior for such small kids.

8. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

"And said unto him, Hearest thou what these say? And Jesus saith unto them, Yea; have ye never read, Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings thou hast perfected praise?" - Matthew 21:16
    Not crazy...peculiar.

"But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;" - 1 Peter 2:9

You said "behaviors" without identifying what those "Phelpsian behaviors" were and without supporting your statement.

It's never too early to labor for the Lord. I wish I had been doing what those children are doing at their age.

Perhaps, you and Ex-Fundy can start your own ministry selling out Christians to antichrist governments / antichrist government agencies.

If they didn't, then according to scripture, that would indicate they love them.

"He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes." - Proverbs 13:24

This is the first thing you have said that has a modicum of truth to it. It isn't normal behavior for children to labor for the Lord. What is "normal" today is to have children hoped up on television, movies, video games and pump them full of ritalin or other narcotics. Praise God for peculiar families that serve the Lord, rather than the world or self.

To Starkeymom,

Praise God for your decision. I apologize for the direction this thread has taken as it should not have gone this way in a fellowship forum. The word of God covers what is happening here in Matthew 13. I pray this conversation has done nothing to hinder your walk.

9. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

Rufus, do you think these kids went out to street preach by their own will? I highly doubt it. I remember being raised in a Christian home, being fed the word from a young age, and I can testify that I never had the desire to stand as a spectacle on the road side and scream at passerby's. In fact, I was not only a babe in Christ, but a babe in years. I don't think people would have paid much attention to me when I was younger.

Why not nurture the kids first? Train them, so when they are teenagers they can preach the Gospel, and do it faithfully, not as a spectacle so the parents can boast in their childrens 'devotion'.

A good article on street preaching is found on google, go to google.com and then search for 'street preaching + way of the master'. It has many ways how to 'draw' a crowd, and it definetly is not dressing up in suits and ties and holding a Bible and screaming at people.

10. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Children are not subject to their own will, they are subject to obeying their parents will, which should be aligned with the Father's will. I suspect it gives the Father pleasure to see children who are not ashamed of the gospel of Christ. Just as parents can rebel against the Father, the children can rebel against the parents, so yes I do believe the children are there by their own will.

Why do you presume they are not being nurtured? Why do you presume them to be spectacles? Why do you presume their parents are boasting?

I don't intend any disrespect, but the Lordship salvation of Comfort and Cameron is heretical. I'm only going to go to their site to learn to expose them, not to be taught how to street preach by 'em.

#10 Rufus_1611, Aug 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2007
  11. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My haven't we given Starkeymom a true welcome into Christianity! :tonofbricks:

There is a site that does basic Bible lessons for Indian churches in CA if you want some good basic stuff. I would never suggest other than the Bible as a first step, but some helps as to what the books are about might help. http://www.aibi.org/

You might try the Navigators site as well, they may have some basic Bible studies. Their site seems to be down right now. http://www.navigators.org/

www.bible.org has a lot of heavier stuff if you get the desire.

A Bible handbook might be of assist as well or a bible dictionary. YOu can find free Bible software which includes dictionaries at http://www.e-sword.net They have a pocket computer version as well.

12. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

I regret such animosity is being displayed on a thread which has nothing to do with the sort.

Thankfully, although many will disagree with the stand my church takes, Baptists have long been proponents of liberty, especially liberty of conscience. It is also a blessing that we are not part of a "mother" church, but instead that each church is an independent entity governed by God and therefore each will have it's own place in the body and in serving our Saviour.

For those who with an issue with our church or myself, please direct your disapproval at any other given thread than one involving a new believer, I beseech you.

I pray that the actions of some on this thread will not become a hindrance to you Starkeymom. Thank you Rufus_1611, as always, for the support.

13. starkeymom

starkeymom New Member

study guides and books

I apologize for coming and asking I never ment to make a issue out of asking for names to study guides or books so I can learn. But what it seems I started was a fight. Thanks for the scripture given to help explain this result Rufus by offering mathew 13 to read.
    I only wanted help and perhaps some direction to learn.

14. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

There is no need for you to apologize Starkeymom, some other folks need to develop some tact and learn that there is a time and a place.

15. faithgirl46

faithgirl46 Active Member
    Site Supporter

What does this have to do with the question asked?
    Faithgirl

#15 faithgirl46, Aug 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2007
  16. faithgirl46

faithgirl46 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I am sorry about the way you were treatred.:1_grouphug: :1_grouphug: I don't know of any good book to sugestto you but the Holy Bible. There are Bible dictionaries to help youwith words you may not understand. These can be found in a Christian BOok sotre or any book store for that matter.
    Faithgirl

17. Psalm 95

Psalm 95 New Member

Actually I would suggest a good study Bible. This would be a great tool to grow in faith and knowledge.

I would suggest that these Study Bibles might be good for a new believer:

1. NIV Study Bible. Easy to read, a lot of commentary, maybe to much commentary (I have chosen to use a real commantary instead, Bible knowledge Commentary and Matthew Henry is good for me). About the same features can be found in the NSAB translation)

2. Ryrie Study Bible. Can be found in several translations, examples are NASB and KJV. More consistent theology. Many helps, a synopsis of Bible doctrine.

There may be other good choises. I often use The Thompson Chanin Reference Bible and I have just started to use a Scofield.

#17 Psalm 95, Aug 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2007
  18. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You might also take a look at www.e-sword.net for computer and ppc bible programs that have different Bibles, Bible dictionary and commentary. Many of the resources are free.

19. Psalm 95

Psalm 95 New Member

I have thought about the topic some more, and I have became even more sure that a good Study Bible or a good Bible Software for the computer is the way to go for a new believer. It is important to learn to trust the Bible, it is important to learn how to find answers in the Bible and it is important to learn to study the Bible in a more systematic way besides devotional reading. I think both a Study Bible and Bible Software will help you.

It is very good for a growing christian to know that what you belive is anchored in your own reading of the Bible. You should trust your Pastor, but I think it is a good habit to do study in your own Bible also.

As a mac user I have the Bible software accordance besides Bibles in paper and leather.

20. ByGracethroughFaith

ByGracethroughFaith New Member

If I could recommend just one book beside the Bible it would probably be this one. Everyone will find it of immense help.

R.A. Torrey’s New Topical Textbook
    Online Here-http://www.bible-topics.com/

BGTF