1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can BACKSLIDING/DISOBEDIENT Christians be DEMONIZED?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ROBERTGUWAPO, Sep 25, 2005.

1. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

I'm sure it's from the outside ,a demon can't dwell"IN" a Christian.I am sure that a demon can have great influence by working from outside. ;)

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

To be "Demonized" is a word coined by modern spiritual warfare teachers who are off base. They try to make a case for it by saying that the Greek word is "demonize" but what they fail to point out is that in all cases when this is used in the NT, the demon is "cast out" of the person, indicating the demon was inside and controlling the person. The word for "cast out" means literally to take out of.

To use the word "demonize" and make it close to being possessed is not a biblical concept. Most of these so-called teachers (who actually often do not even have theological training) try to blur the line between being influenced and controlled by using "demonize." They say a Christian can "have" a demon and be influenced by one but not "owned" or controlled by one. It's a distinction without a difference. These teachings started with Jessie Penn Lewis and went through Dickason and then Mark Bubeck and Neil Anderson (and others). These teachings do not come from the Bible. I have read Bubeck and Anderson and they fail to make a case for these teachings from the Bible.

Believers according to the NT are able to submit to God, resist the devil and he will flee. Yes, we can be tempted and sin, but that is not the same as being possessed or controlled.

3. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Any answers? :confused:

4. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

Marcia,

I think that about sums this subject up.

thank you,

[​IMG]

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Any answers? :confused: </font>[/QUOTE]I think Rom. 1.28 is clearly about the lost. God never "abandons" those whom He has adopted as children through Christ. And we are "sealed" with the HS.

There is even a song based on this verse:
    "For I know whom I have believed,
    and am persuaded,
    that He is able,
    to keep that which I have committed,
    unto Him against that day."

6. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Thanks Marcia.

Those are my feelings too, but I have seen so many Christians backslide into depravity and I have heard Preachers apply that verse both ways.

I have also heard Preachers say that if a Christian steps 'over the line', God will do one of three things:

1) God will take him out to stop anymore reproach on the name of Christ
    2) He was never saved in the first place
    3) God will turn him over to a reprobate mind

This board has taught me that, not only do all Christians not believe the same thing, Baptists don't even agree on all the issues... :eek:

§ue

7. Samplewow yeah OUTSIDE makes more sense than INSIDE.

Marcia great insights. I too believe that once saved God will not ALLOW you to go too far. If you do you probably were never really saved to begin with. Too many professing the name of Christ because of some prayer they prayed or church attendance they had or upbringing et. God will keep those who are really his.

I too have heard preachers preach that if a believer lives in sin God will take him out. But how often have you seen that happen. I never have. I seen alot of faithful Christians die sooner than expected, but not ones who said they were and lived in habitual sin :confused:

As far as turning them over to a reprobate mind Romans 1 is very clear that is refering to UNSAVED people.

8. ROBERTGUWAPO

ROBERTGUWAPO Member

SampleWow, Marcia, I am Blessed, Right From Wrong,

Can you cite me a verse which DIRECTLY, I repeat DIRECTLY says that a Christian cannot accept another spirit? Please do not give me a verse that HINTS AT or THEREFORE MEANS THAT, or LOGICALLY IT FOLLOWS THAT.... [​IMG]

For example this verse, 1st Cor 3:16 HINTS AT but is not a DIRECTLY SAYS THAT verse, "Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and the spirit of God dwelleth in you?" So you say, ahaa!, the Holy Spirit and an evil spirit cannot occupy the same place! But where does it say so? But look at the next verse and it says that the temple can be DEFILED and eventually DESTROYED. [​IMG]

Now, can you rebut this verse which DIRECTLY SAYS THAT Christians can harbor another spirit? :D

2nd Cor 11:3-4, "For I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent's cunning, your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ. For if someone comes to you and preaches a Jesus other than the one we have preached, OR IF YOU RECEIVE A DIFFERENT SPIRIT FROM THE ONE YOU [ALREADY] RECEIVED, or a different gospel from the one you ACCEPTED, you put up with it easily enough."

Isn't Paul simply saying that a Christian who already has the Holy Spirit can receive another spirit BESIDES?

I'm waiting to hear your answer (and it better be a good one). :D

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

The bible says God can not be in the presence of sin because He doesn't it. How can He dwell in a person with an evil spirit? Do you honestly see God sharing a person with a demon as a dwelling place? No. Show me scripture where that is. No where in scripture do we see a christian, indwelt with the Holy Spirit also have a demon indwelling them.
    On the other hand, can you honsetly see a demon wanting to live side by side with a holy God? There wouldn't be any demons if that were true, they'd al still be in heaven.

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The OP asked the question: Can BACKSLIDING/DISOBEDIENT Christians be DEMONIZED?

A Christian is filled with the Holy Spirit even when he's disobedient and/or backsliding. So I would venture that the answer is "no".

11. ROBERTGUWAPO

ROBERTGUWAPO Member

Donna, Right from Wrong, JohnV,

We are baptists here and we argue using verses as our support. No sweeping generalizations from our preconceived notions, please. :D [​IMG]

Now again, 2nd Cor 11:4, "...if you receive a DIFFERENT SPIRIT from the one you [ALREADY] RECEIVED..." [​IMG]

Now, what is it in the above verse that you three do not understand? :D [​IMG]

Verses please. Give me DIRECTLY THAT SAY SO verses, no IT HINTS AT, IT FOLLOWS THAT, or IT SEEMS TO SAY THAT verses.

12. Robert lets take the verse you are quoting and look at it in it's context.

2 Cor. 11:4
    For if one comes and PREACHES another Jesus whom we have not preached, or you have received ( entertained or accept ) a different spirit which you have not received, or a different GOSPEL which you have not accepted, you bear this beautifully.

The main focus of Paul was to warn them against fasle teachers. No where does it say they had both Gods Holy Spirit AND Demonic Spirits.
    You are taking the word RECEIVE to mean entering into ones self. When all it means is ENTERTAIN or ACCEPT.

You need to find somewhere in scripture where a true believer has BOTH Gods spirit and Demonic spirits in them at the same time to justify your stand. I couldn't find any.

13. ROBERTGUWAPO

ROBERTGUWAPO Member

Right from Wrong,

2nd Cor 11:4 is so simple to understand. [​IMG]
    Did you RECEIVE the Holy Spirit or did you ENTERTAIN it? :D Look at the parallelism here: you receiveD the Holy Spirit--you can receive a DIFFERENT SPIRIT. If what you are saying is that by receiving the different spirit, you are just "entertaining" it, then, by your faulty logic--the Holy Spirit that was received in the first place, was just entertained and has not entered our bodies! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Let us please be baptists in our line of reasoning. [​IMG] :D [​IMG]

14. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

Ha Robert, how about this, you show mein the bible where a Christian can except a nother spirit. I have school work to do so as I can keep up with you guys on this board! :cool: [​IMG]

15. ROBERTGUWAPO

ROBERTGUWAPO Member

Samplewow,

Now what is it in 2nd Cor 11:4's, "receiving a DIFFERENT SPIRIT other than the one [Holy Spirit] that you have received?" DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?

[​IMG] ;) :D

16. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

this verse doesn't say both.

17. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

2 Cor 11.4 is about accepting a false teaching. I do think Christians can be deceived.

I think the burden is on those who believe that Christians can be possessed to show it clearly from scripture. That one passage in 2 cor. is not doing that.

There is not a single example in the NT of a believer being possessed.

18. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

Marcia, your RIGHT !

19. Robert when one entertains a thought if he dwells on it long enough he will soon ACCEPT it. that is what this is talking about, plain and simple. Entertaining false doctrine dwell on it long enough you will soon accept it as TRUTH

Robert if you can FIND just ONE other verse to back this one up you just may have something. If you can't then you are taking that verse to mean something it DOESN'T mean. That is how ALL false doctrines get started.