1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can baptists Hold To Some Charasmatic Theology?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JesusFan, Oct 27, 2011.

1. CF1

CF1 New Member

It seems that most Baptist Churches that call themselves by the attribute "Charismatic"

a. do seek an ecstatic religious experience
    1. encouraging raising their hands for anyone who is led to do so, but this is not required by anyone who is not comfortable doing so.
    2. intentionally encouraging and fostering strong emotions of love and awe in worship, and occaisonal verbal expression (it's ok to say an audible response of worship during worship, ranging from "Amen" to "Hallelujah" or "Praise you Lord Jesus!")
    3. intentionally seek to invite the Holy Spirit to create an atmosphere of His presence to Teach, illuminate, and fill the hearts of the congregation during worship

b. but don't practice
    1. speaking in tongues
    2. instantaneous healing.
    3. new revelation
    4. visions and "a word" or specific message from God, rather than having the Spirit speak through the Bible to our hearts
    5. prosperity gospel, that God will give you prosperity if you do something for Him

Churches that go further to practice speaking in tongues and instantaneous healing, are usually then considering themselves more Pentecostal, Assemblies of God, etc types of churches than Baptist.

Has anyone heard of any "Charismatic" Baptist churches that go further to practice speaking in tongues and instantaneous healing?

To me, Baptist churches that don't consider themselves somewhat Charismatic as described in point a. 1,2, & 3 are missing a blessing that is expected to be part of a normal Christian's life.

#21 CF1, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2011
  2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Those that do claim to practice such things as tongues and healing are in error and living a lie.
    Show me one church that is practicing the Biblical gift of tongues?
    Hint: Why do Charismatic/Pentecostal church missionaries have to learn foreign languages before going to the foreign mission field if the gift of tongues/languages is in operation today? Why doesn't God just give them the gift? They are living a lie.

Show me one church that is practicing the gift of healing as it was used in the apostolic age. Here is how it was used:

There came also a multitude out of the cities round about unto Jerusalem, bringing sick folks, and them which were vexed with unclean spirits: and they were healed every one. (Acts 5:16)
    --I detest frauds.

3. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

The current charismatic movement is without respect to doctrine or practice which Biblicaly defines it as Satanic in origin and power. The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of TRUTH. Counterfeith miracles, signs and wonders confirm false doctrine and practice.

I have been investigating the charismatic movement for 30 years and I have yet to find one Biblical example of speaking in tongues. What I have found is the common ordinary estatic utterance variety that characterizes all false religions in the world from the most ancient times until the present.

4. CF1

CF1 New Member

It appears I confused people by saying "point a. 1,2, & 3."

With my comment I meant to clearly Exclude "point b. 1,2,3,4,5"

Here is what I meant by "point a. 1,2, & 3." (see the letter "a") I should have probably made it bold.

Sorry for the confusion. I am in full agreement with the above two posts.

5. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

"Can baptists Hold To Some Charasmatic Theology?"

Some Baptists can and do hold to some Charismatic doctrine. That in itself does not mean they are not Baptists. Just ask them. However it can mean they are wrong in their doctrine depending on what they believe. Just because someone has an experience does not make it is God.

6. CF1

CF1 New Member

As we see, there are risks and challenges with using the word "Charismatic"

There is so much "baggage" and connotations of error attached to the word from the Pentecostal and other movements, that many Baptists want to distance themselves completely from all the doctrinal error, and practical error (history of carnality in a public way, prosperity gospel abuse, etc).

The challenge is to seek to worship with both our head and our heart, not with so much caution that we only worship with our head, and a tiny heart. Not with so much sensation, that sensation because the object of our worship rather than Christ.

If calling a Baptist church "charismatic" helps give them encouragement to have a bigger heart, more emotion in worship, then it is a good thing to bring the body to that level of worship and love for God.

I'm sure the word "charismatic" means other things to other people and they can only see it as the erroneous connotations it represents in Pentecostal type churches. For those people, the word is so loaded with baggage it should not be used I guess.

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

JesusFan I have a question and I am not trying to trick you here. How do you know the 2 times you did "prophecy" it was from God based on what scripture says prophesy is for in 1Cor 14? How did it edify the church?

#27 freeatlast, Oct 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2011
  8. CF1

CF1 New Member

I grew up in a church that greatly discouraged worshiping while raising your hands in worship. We did not want to be associated in any way with the Pentecostal movement.

This visible and unique practice was so associated with the Pentecostal movement that nobody wanted to do it in Baptist churches.

Now many evangelical churches allow people who do this practice, which is actually Biblical, whether or not it appears to be a Pentecostal invention.

It seems that some people would call churches "charismatic" or "somewhat charismatic", simply because they allow, or don't discourage people from raising their hands in worship.

What we are lacking is a term for the part of "charismatic" that Baptists agree with, that is not associated with the error of the Pentecostal movement.

What term would describe that?

Spirit Filled? Heart Felt? Not Stiff and Formal?

Maybe the best way to use the term Charismatic is to qualify it and say something like

"Charismatic in our affections"

Which would show a Baptist Church is only charismatic in a limited sense.

#28 CF1, Oct 29, 2011
  9. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

been saved by the Grace of God 30 years now, and these 2 "experiences" ONLY time that God worked in this fashion in my life!

case 1 was the daughter of the wife of one of the Church elders, we were assembled for Wed night prayer, and she asked for the group to remember her daughter in pray. That was it, I did not even know her, nor her name!

After we had prayed to God for her daughter, felt "led" tp say to her and the group that her daughter , calling her by name. was getting touched and healed by God at this very moment.

Found out that following Sun in the service, that her daugher had a high risk pregency going on, as she was a recent diabetic/high blood pressurt etc, and her vitals shot off the roof on way to hospital.
    She suddenly became calm, and her vital were normal once arrived at hospital , both mother and child wereto be fine!

Case 2 New member of the church was in the nursery with her kids, right after the praise and worship time, had a "message" to the church that her ex hus was trying to kill himself at this moment, but that God was intervening and would grant him to live

kelly heard that thru intercom in nursery, called her ex found out that he been trying to cut his wrists that morning, but knife was 'dull" and he could only cut superficial levels, and was on way to hospital to get fixed up

Both times, I did not know the names of the people beforehand, nor what they were going thru!

I did NOT claim any healing, justwas announcing what the Lord was in the process of doing at the time...

Would say that was NOT normitive, only happened twice in 30 years, and both times I hasd the "willies" even saying stuff like that, knowing scriptures concerning false prohesy/prophets is NOT of/from God!

#29 JesusFan, Oct 29, 2011
  10. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Interesting, thank you for sharing.

11. CF1

CF1 New Member

Yes, thank you for sharing. Sometimes things happen that really make me wonder if I know yet all the ways how God works.

12. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Those 2 times ONLY time that ever happened, and whenever people would come to me to try to get a "word from the Lord", I would say tell them to open up their Bible and pray and ask God Himself on that!