1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can Calvinists explain this verse?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Skandelon, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I agree, but you apparently don't see the gospel as being divinely powerful then do you?

2. Skandelon

Monergist, one thing is very clear from you response and that is you are not at all fimiliar with what I believe.

I speak of God's judicial hardening quite regularly. I agree that it is God that is doing the hardening of Israel here. In fact, that is what Romans 9-11 is all about. But the fact is had they not been hardened they MIGHT HAVE SEEN, HEARD, UNDERSTOOD AND REPENTED.

God didn't want them to repent. He wanted them to be sealed in their unbelief so that He could accomplish His purpose on the cross and in the ingrafting of the Gentiles as Acts 28:28 and Romans 11 clearly indicates.

The problem you are having is thinking that when Romans 9 says, "He will have mercy on whom He will have mercy," it means the elect individuals throughout the world and when it says, "and He will hardened whom He will harden" that is means the non-elect individuals in the world, but IT is very clear by the context that is not the meaning of Romans 9.

Paul is talking about God showing mercy to the Gentiles in general and hardening the Jews in general as is clearly seen in the summary of that passage when he writes:

30 What shall we say then? That Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness of faith; 31 but Israel, pursuing the law of righteousness, has not attained to the law *of righteousness. 32 Why? Because they did not seek it by faith, but as it were, *by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumbling stone.

3. Skandelon

My guess is that you probably didn't always believe in Total Depravity, you probably always believe in the doctrine of Original Sin, which teaches all men are born in sin because of the fall of Adam and therefore are guilty before a just God even from the womb. Total Depravity takes that biblical teaching a step beyond the teachings of the scripture by instructing us that because of that fallen nature we cannot respond in faith to the powerful Holy Spirit wrought gospel, which God sent as a solution to our natural condition.

Calvinists use passages such as Romans 3:10 that teach about men's natural condition to prove that we cannot respond in faith to God's powerful solution, but that is not what the text teaches. Proof that we can't call on God own our own, or seek after or even understand God own our own in no way proves that we can't respond to him when we are no longer on our own. Afterall, he did send the Word in flesh to dwell among us, the apostles, the scripture and the Holy Spirit. I don't think we have been left own our own.

There are no passages that teach that men are unable to respond in faith to the Holy Spirit wrought message of the cross, WITH THE EXCEPTION of those passages such as the Acts 28 that speak of the Jews temporary judical hardening. The Jews, during this time, could not believe because the message was being hidden by God from them in parables and they were being sent a spirit of stupor so they couldn't understand or repent (Mark 4; Matt. 13). This was done for a unique purpose at that time.

No one here, to my knowledge, believes that the unregenerate would come to a saving knowledge of Christ apart from God's intervention. You seem to have missed the fact that God has and is intervening all around us. Just because some of us believe that His intervention in not alway irresistable in the lives of the lost doesn't mean that we don't believe He must intervene for the lost to be saved.

4. Eutychus

Eutychus Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry to disappoint you, but I have believed as far back as I can remember studying the topic that the scripture teaches that the unregenerate have no ability own their own to come to or even want to come to God, our proclivity is to nod at God but worship at the shrine of the flesh. IOW, we don't have the ability to conjure up saving faith because it isn't within our cold, dead spirit until it is given.

5. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By the way, Skandelon, what makes you so sure that these were unregenerates ? First, this was a reference to Isaiah 6:9. Was God threatening to wipe out[/b] His own people ?[/b] As in the judgment of the wicked unregenerate in eternal fire ? Were they being told to open their eyes so they can become Israelites ?

They were already Israelites, disobedient Israelites, if you will, but, Israelites just the same. God's chosen nation, in the physical sense.

Likewise, in the spiritual sense, one does not become a child of God by virtue of any action he makes, but, by virtue of divine election !

Obedience or disobedience is a choice one who is already a child of God has.

Therefore, these are elect children of God, who refuse to hear counsel, who chose disobedience and therefore miss out on the blessings they could have had.

6. UMP

UMP New Member

Amen !

7. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is the verse again:

8. Skandelon

Could you quote the passage that teaches we are unable to respond in faith to the powerful Holy Spirit wrought gospel message? Thanks

9. Skandelon

Oh, that is an interesting interpretation. You believe the hardened Jews are elect? Can you name any scholars who hold to that view so I can study up on it.

Also, I guess you believe Romans 9 means something different than most Calvinists because I guess it doesn't mean the non-elect when he says he can hardened whom he wants to harden. Can you explain. Thanks

10. Skandelon

This sounds like they are unregenerate to me:

23 So when they had appointed him a day, many came to him at his lodging, to whom he explained and solemnly testified of the kingdom of God, persuading them concerning Jesus from both the Law of Moses and the Prophets, from morning till evening. 24 And some were persuaded by the things which were spoken, and some disbelieved. 25 So when they did not agree among themselves, they departed after Paul had said one word: "The Holy Spirit spoke rightly through Isaiah the prophet to *our fathers, 26 saying..."

Some were persuaded but some "disbelieved" and then Paul comments about them with the passage in question. Tell me, is it possible to be an unbelieving regenerated person? If so, can you show me that in scripture.

11. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who departed ? Both those who were persuaded, and those who still disbelieved.

Seems to me like Paul was exasperated at this point.

Hasn't that happened to you yet when you conduct a Bible study, and many profess to understand and believe, and many say they are not persuaded, and both exit, and you've been going back and forth ?

And yes, it is possible to be a regenerated person and unconverted IF you are willing to grant that the "Lord's hand is not shortened, that it could not save". It is possible for an unregenerate to be unconverted and still go to heaven because his conversion is not what determines his eternal salvation.
    It is the Lord who seeks His own, and regenerates him in His own time, with no help from man.

Belief is a product of conversion, and conversion follows regeneration.

Ezekiel 34:11-15

Now. A question, Skandelon.

I am curious. Why is it that I can probably fill two pages of this forum with Scriptures showing that man is so immersed in sin from inception to adulthood, in practice, in all his faculties, and show you (although you know) that God has declared natural man dead in trespasses and sins, and has himself said no one seeks after Him, and no one understands, yet here you are trying your best to prove that there is at least one iota of good in man that will cause him to voluntarily turn to God ? That he is not truly spiritually dead ?

I am truly curious, and absolutely amazed.

12. Eutychus

Eutychus Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could you quote the passage that teaches we are unable to respond in faith to the powerful Holy Spirit wrought gospel message? Thanks </font>[/QUOTE]You like to ignore what I wrote and revise it in your mind to say what you want? :rolleyes:

NOTICE MY QUOTE: "until it is given." I'll paint a picture if it'll make you happy: Saving faith is given by the powerful Holy Spirit.

Better now? ;)

13. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Erratum:

Further clarification.

While it is possible for a regenerate not to be converted in every sense of the word, it is impossible for him to remain unbeliever in every sense of the word.

14. Skandelon

And I am equally amazed that you have to ask this question with the numerous posts that I have written clearly explaining that I affirm the doctrine of Original Sin which confirms that all are indeed born guilty of sin in a fallen nature and in need of a Savior.

Again, proof that men cannot and will not seek or understand God ON THEIR OWN in NO WAY proves that men cannot seek or understand God once they have been confronted with the powerful Holy Spirit wrought gospel message, which was sent as a means of intervention in the lives of otherwise hopeless people. You guys keep proving over and over that men on their own can't do anything, but you fail to recongize that God DIDN'T LEAVE US ON OUR OWN.

He sent (in no particular order):
    1. Jesus Christ
    2. The Apostles
    3. Prophets
    4. Signs and wonders
    5. Scripture (gospel)
    6. People carrying the message (gospel)
    7. The Holy Spirit

What more do you need to prove that we are not ON OUR OWN. We are responders not initators and proving that we don't seek doesn't prove that we can't respond.

If God had a phone and we had a phone and God told us, "You cannot call me." Would you then assume that we also can't answer the phone when he calls us? Of course not, yet that is exactly what you guys do!

Please show me where the scripture teaches that all men are born unable to respond in faith to the gospel and I'll concede. Until then you have no case.

15. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Skandelon said:

Okay. I think I'm getting the drift here. I think neither you nor our side are operating on the same wave length.

When the gospel, by virtue of a missionary, preacher, pastor, or lay worker, confronts an individual, I will agree that its powerful message can indeed convert men, but only those whose ears have been unstopped, whose eyes have been opened, and who have been quickened by the Spirit [/b] previously [/b], before the gospel reaches them (John 1:12-13), they received Christ because they were born from above.
    But, if what you are saying is this receiving happens before regeneration, then we part ways, because the gospel will not work to spiritually dead men.

16. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also, those whom God did not leave on their own were only His people. For them He provided those things which you enumerated.

His salvation was planned and executed for them only, not for the entire fallen humankind. His grace was directed towards His people. Jesus' blood was shed only for His people. Justification by faith, and thru the blood, is clearly shown by Scriptures to be for His people.
    Regeneration is for His people. The names of His people, and only His people, are written in the Lamb's Book of Life, and they were not written there at the moment they 'accepted' Christ as Savior, or heard the Gospel preached to them, they were written before the foundation of the world.
    The atonement was for their benefit, and that atonement is final, complete and secure, and not 'progressive' or 'sequential'.

17. Skandelon

Ok, so you admit the gospel is powerful, just not powerful enough to enable any and every man who hears it? Where is that taught in scripture? Where does it ever say men are born unable to respond to the gospel?

18. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

God morning Pionybaptist;
    All This is saying is that God is responsible for our creation. Notice it says "which were born", We are all God's children we were all created by Him.
    We weren't born by that of blood. Meaning our parents didn't bring us into the world God did. It goes on to say not by flesh repeating again that we are not born as a result of what our parents did. It wasn't mans will but God's will that brought us into the world. These two passages are not talking about being reborn spiritually. Go back and reread the entire chapter and take it in context of what is being said.
    May God Bless You;
    Mike [​IMG]

19. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Hi Pionybaptist;
    All of this might have been true except for the one thing you may not haven't considerd. Because of the rejection of Christ by the Jews Salvation is sent to the Gentiles instead, and it is the Jews who are blinded not the Gentiles. It is the Jews that need to have there eyes opened.
    Act 28:27 For the heart of this people is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes have they closed; lest they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.
    Act 28:28 Be it known therefore unto you, that the salvation of God is sent unto the Gentiles, and that they will hear it.
    It was a sad day for Christ when His own rejected Him. One thing for sure God will deal with the Jews again. He will open there eyes and there ears and will make it so they understand.
    May God Bless You;
    Mike

20. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I appreciate your comments, Mike, but it will do well for you to study the term Israel as used when referring to God's chosen people.

There is a true Israel, and there is a false Israel. There is a spiritual Israel, and there is a national Israel. The latter is used often to illustrate truths for the former.