1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CAN CHRISTIANS GO ON STRIKE?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by ROBERTGUWAPO, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't say one word about protests... although the best protest would be the boycott of products and services from companies that treat employees badly.

It isn't the exercise of a contract that is wrong but the means by which the contract was secured. It is an act of extortion to say that you either "buy" your labor from this monopoly or else you go out of business. This can only be legitimate if the employer can say "no thanks, I will get my labor elsewhere."

Karen: ONLY is a little sweeping. Would you make no allowance for the size of the company and the number of workers?</font>[/QUOTE] Most small companies can't afford to work with unions at all. But no, to answer your question.

If you were told that you could only buy gasoline from one station and that you would pay 2 times more for the same product, what would you say? Would that be a fair deal for you? NO.

You would demand another option, competition, to keep your cost in line with the value of what you are purchasing. It is no different for a business owner.

You should never underestimate the power of the pen. Not one printed expose but many so that the public at large could react... and so that potential employees could avoid the employer. A company cannot run without its employees whether they are united by an organization or a body of commonly shared information.

No. But that is the best place to start.

2. Karen

Karen Active Member

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If it was not for unions, then we would be working in third world country conditions in these United States. And with this outsourcing of jobs taking place, I would not be surprised if some people in high places are trying to create those conditions in this country.

4. Karen

Karen Active Member

There are times when unions can be beneficial to companies. For example, I just read in the newspaper that Continental Airlines is cutting 1% of its work force, mostly through attrition. It is losing money, partly because airlines are still reeling from the cumulative effects of 9/11.
    It may have to lower wages and benefits if things do not turn around.
    The unions involved seem to want to cooperate from the tone of the article.
    Presenting a plan that the union concretely agrees to will lead, I think, to more cooperation and hard work on the part of employees than if individual employees only hear bits and pieces from management and the newspaper and have no individual recourse other than to go along or quit.

Karen

5. Bro.Bill

Bro.Bill New Member

We are moving toward a third world economy.When Bill Clinton was in office he used to brag about the millions of jobs he created.They were generally very low paying jobs. The joke was Bill clinton crated 7 million jobs and I have 3 of them just to get by.
    We need to train for new markets and new technologies.Strikes ,unions,sometimes useful,sometimes not.
    If you go to work for a company with a union,that company has a contract with the union.The company understands the chance that strikes can occur.If you go to work for a company with a union you usually do not have a say in if you pay dues or not so you tend to go with the union.