1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can Christians still cast out demons?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Link, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Link

Link New Member

I believe they can, or at least some can under certain circumstances.

For those who say, 'yes' but believe miracles have ceased, what do you say to this verse?

38. And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us.
    39. But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me.
    40. For he that is not against us is on our part.

Notice Jesus calls this a miracle (sign.)

2. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Yes I believe Christians can cast out demons. I also read in the bible you'd better make sure your a Christian before you try or the results may be uuuum....errrr...revealing. :eek: :D [​IMG]

Act 19:13-16 Then certain of the vagabond Jews, exorcists, took upon them to call over them which had evil spirits the name of the Lord Jesus, saying, We adjure you by Jesus whom Paul preacheth.
    14 And there were seven sons of one Sceva, a Jew, and chief of the priests, which did so.
    15 And the evil spirit answered and said, Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are ye?
    16 And the man in whom the evil spirit was leaped on them, and overcame them, and prevailed against them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded.

3. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

Yes Christians can absolutely cast out demons today!

Mark 16-17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils;

Acts 16-18 And this did she many days. But Paul, being grieved, turned and said to the spirit, I command thee in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her. And he came out the same hour.

Praise the Lord, my Gods arm is not shortened, He can and does do the the same things He did 2000 years ago. [​IMG]

Peace,

Tam

4. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

Nope, not any more, but I've always liked the story in Acts 19.

5. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As far as I know - there is no text saying that "Casting out demons" is a Spiritual Gift.

But we do have the promises listed on this thread showing that success in those cases is promised to Christians and we certainly see them doing it in the NT text - the model for Christian churches today.

The demons did not go on vacation in the last 2000 years - and neither did God.

I think it is all still in play.

In Christ,

Bob

6. bapmom

bapmom New Member

my preacher has done it, so those who are saying it cannot be done today are mistaken. Ive heard of several men in our church who over the years have been met with this issue, and have seen Jesus conquer the demon.

Its not common, but it does still happen.

7. bmerr

bmerr New Member

Link,

bmerr here. I'm going to say "no", and I'll try to make my case.

In Zecharia 13:1-2, we find a prophesy referring to NT times. In verse 2 we read,

"And it shall come to pass in that day, saith the LORD of hosts, that I will cut off the names of the idols out of the land, and they shall no more be remembered: and also I will cause the prophets and the unclean spirit to pass out of the land."

As we read through the book of Acts, we find several accounts of unclean spirits being cast out of people (Acts 8:7; 16:18; 19:12). There is even an instance of an unsuccessful attempt (19:13-16).

It is interesting to note that each of these cases was widely known amongst the populace of each region. These were not things done in a closet, or in secret. There was no denying that something remarkable had taken place. This is not the case with modern-day "miracles" or the men who claim to work them.

What it gets down to is this: miraculous gifts have ceased (1 Cor 13:10; Eph 4:13). There is no more use for them. The word has long since been confirmed (Mark 16:20).

Miraculous gifts of the Spirit were given by laying on of the apostles' hands (Acts 8:18), and could not be passed on by those to whom they were given (thus the sending of Peter and John to Samaria).

Since there are no more apostles, there are no more apostle's hands.

Prophesy was a miraculous gift of the Spirit. Prophesy has long since ceased. If the prophets are gone, so are the unclean spirits (Zech 13:2).

I don't expect all to be convinced, but there's my case. How'd I do?

In Christ,

bmerr

8. tamborine lady

sorry--glitch---post later

Tam

9. tamborine lady

[​IMG]

Zec 13-2 And it shall come to pass in that day, saith the LORD of hosts, that I will cut off the names of the idols out of the land, and they shall no more be remembered: and also I will cause the prophets and the unclean spirit to pass out of the land.
    3 And it shall come to pass, that when any shall yet prophesy, then his father and his mother that begat him shall say unto him, Thou shalt not live; for thou speakest lies in the name of the LORD: and his father and his mother that begat him shall thrust him through when he prophesieth.

I really do think it is talking about false prophets. Read the whole chapter.

And in Acts 19, those guys had just heard Paul talking about Jesus, they had not accepted Him as their savior. God had not revealed who He was to them and that's why their attempt failed.

Peace,

Tam

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Yes, I believe this as well (though I personally believe it's probably a gift given to few, not to all). However, Christians are often unabkle to discern between the demonic and the benign. In fact, just a few hundred years ago, we were living in the Dark Ages, where everything and its mother was believed to be an omen of one sort or another.

There are tons of Christian charlatains out there today making a lot of money casting out "demons".

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I have a cousin that drove out a Demon. He spent years restoring it, and was finally able to drive it out of the garage and around the block.