1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can Creation according to Genesis be honestly taught as Science

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Chemnitz, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I disagree with this. The Genesis account does not speak of God in the first person but in the third person.

Yes, God observed creation and saw what went on. But no, Genesis is not a first person account of what God observed.
    </font>[/QUOTE]But all Scripture is God-breathed, and therefore is the account of God.

2. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I also think it is pretty amazing that God included humans in creating his account as well and didn't simply drop it from the sky.

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

It would indeed be really amazing, but that's not what he did. Moses was writing what God revealed to him. There is no evidence of any third person information being passed along.

4. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is God including humans in creating his account.

5. D28guy

D28guy New Member

We certainly can. There are many organisations filled with highly education men and women...educated in science, anthropology, hydrology, etc etc...who hold to the literal interpretations of Genesis.

6 days meant 6 days as we know them, things basically sprang into existence as the scriptures say they did, a literal world wide flood, approximetly 6-1000 years of existance of earth and mankind, etc

Its completly reasonable and works just fine from a scientific point of view.

God bless,

Mike

6. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    He made creation and observed it was good.

However Genesis is not a first person record of that observation but a third person one.
    </font>[/QUOTE]The apostle Peter has debunked that view.

7. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Of the Trinity?

In the beginning was the Word ...

That should be enough SAID ...

8. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Pastor Larry took the words out of my mouth, also!

9. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    He made creation and observed it was good.

However Genesis is not a first person record of that observation but a third person one.
    </font>[/QUOTE]The apostle Peter has debunked that view.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Peter said that Genesis was written in the first person? I'm pretty sure his hebrew wasn't that bad.

10. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    For those of you who say you read the bible using the historical-grammatical hermeneutic, it should be pretty clear that the literary structure of Genesis 1 and the entire book is written as a third person narrative and not a first person one, as much as we would like it to be a first person one to make it sound more like scientific writing.

Some examples of first person narratives in the Bible are Isaiah and Ezekiel where the narrator describes their visions using the words I and me. In Genesis, first person pronouns are found in the words of the characters being narrated about but not in the narration itself.

This doesn't mean that Genesis is less trustworthy than a first person account. It just means that it isn't one. Most of the bible is written in the third person. And the God-inspired bible is completely authoritative and trustworthy as God's scriptures to mankind.

[ September 27, 2005, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: Gold Dragon ]

11. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

Whether or not Genesis can be taught as science has nothing to do with the personal beliefs of scientists.

True science is based on observational and empirical evidence gathered in experiments. Genesis does not offer this kind of evidence, it merely records what happened and in what progression. This is why I say Genesis should be taught as history and not science.

12. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

While this statement sounds 'good', I doubt that very many 'evolutionists' will like it.

So why should a 'scientific' believer in Genesis be expected to through out Genesis as 'Scientific'?

13. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

14. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

According to the definitions in the OP (II.2, II.3) The study of Genesis is a Science.

15. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

The Genesis account hardly qualifies as scientific method. It contains no reproducable data or experimental processes. By the definition of scientific method which requires a reproducable experiment with verifiable results, Genesis lacks all of this.

16. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you! You have just effectively stated that "EVOLUTION" is no less a theory than "creation" as far as actual proof is concerned.

Once again, it boils down to who you choose to trust; God or man!

17. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Agreed, I definitely trust God and his account in Genesis, and not man's interpretation of that account found in YEC.

18. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Chem

But, by your definition, Genesis is Science.

Neither Genesis, nor evolution, can be studied using scientific method.

But, we are being asked to teach evolution as fact and Genesis as historical 'myth'. If the culture around us would be fair, then BOTH would be taught as historical 'myths'.

19. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Ergo,

Genesis can be taught as honestly as evolution in a scince class ...

20. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

JWP,

Someday ... sooner than most expect ... we will all study Genesis in a reproducible manner ...

... when we are all reproduced as new creatures some to GLORY and others to eternal DAMNATION ...

The irony to me, is that Scripture never focuses upon that in Heaven, but it does seem to focus upon the 'LAMB THAT WAS SLAIN' ... I thank God that His death is not reproducible ...