1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can Fred Debate In South Carolina ?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Rippon, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since Fred Thompson got even fewer votes than Ron Paul in New Hampshire will that prevent him from participating in the Jan. 11th debate in South Carolina ? Of course he came in with a squeaker of a third place finish in Iowa with 13% . Maybe that will help him .

At any rate , this is just the beginning , but it's crucial . If Fred wins on the Republican side in S.C. all previous bets are off by those who currently do not even mention him anymore as a viable candidate .

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Considering Fred spent five minutes and ten bucks in NH, I thought it was a miracle he got the votes he got. Paul was there much, much more and spent way more.

As probably the most consistent conservative and Reaganesque of the bunch, I had no problem thinking NH wouldn't accept him. Wont be true of the South. Whether he can best the rivals is still up in the air. A top 3 finish would be good enough to keep him alive. Remember, Feb 5 is the key day. Anything can happen with the contenders that day.

3. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

I'm watching Fred as the possible dark horse in SC, and i wouldn't be surprised if he pulls out a win. And as crazy as this political season is so far (2nd only to the recently finished college football season), anything is possible.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I found out he can participate in the debate in South Carolina . I too think Fred T. can pull off a big win in South Carolina . S.C. is not Iowa . The folks there will examine Huck and the others more and draw a big contrast with Fred. That will work in Thompson's favor .

5. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

Fred Thompson doesn't need to debate. He will be Huckabee's Vice President. ;)

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

If people are looking for substance, Thompson should do well.

7. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

Agreed, TomVols. But I don't think most people in the Romney/Huckabee camp are looking for substance so you can count them out. McCain is sorta on issue when he speaks, Paul is always talking about the issues (though in the minds of most taking the wrong positions), and Rudy almost exclusively talks about Romney.

FT is the only mainstream guy who consistently talks about issues.

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Can Fred Debate In South Carolina" ? What kind of silly question is that ? ... O , I was the one who asked the question . And the answer is -- Most certainly ! He dominated in a grand way . I hope South Carolinians are paying attention . They need to prove they aren't Iowans . They have greater discernment . ( No offense to any who may be from Iowa .)

9. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

What are the lastest polls in SC and Michigan looking like?

10. Ivon Denosovich

Considering that his prior levels of enthusiasm have been nonexistant, it's a serious question you posed. One must, presumably, be a living being to engage in dialogue and he only barely qualifies as that sometimes.

#10 Ivon Denosovich, Jan 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2008
  11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fred hates the process . He's not a great campaigner as such . He has to be more effective though it's not his style . Once he's in office as the Chief Executive then he will take command and do what those rare statesmen do .

Fred knows that he has to do well in South Carolina to stay viable in the race . So he came alive in the last debate -- and how !!

Senator Thompson just has to keep the ball rolling . Once he has gathered some positive momentum ( which I think has happened because of his "stellar performance" -- according to Rush )he has the ability to garner a landslide in South Carolina .

I trust he has the same intensity in future debates despite some off-nights now and then . It's hard to be at the top of the game with the rigors of a grueling campaign .

12. Ivon Denosovich

Yeppers. And if he does it some more he could come in second in either Michigan or South Carolina. Finishing less than second in both of those states means he's through.

13. redbelt

redbelt New Member

Does stellar performance mean reading a list of things against Mike Huckabee? Wow... How about he tell us what accomplishments he had in the Senate? Hmmm.... Well..... Someone who has to read a list to attack an opponent doesn't speak to me of qualities or of the Way Ronald Reagan would have done it. Sorry folks.... Thompson is done. I want reasons to vote for HIM, not reasons why I shouldn't vote for someone else!

14. faithcontender

faithcontender New Member

RCP average out of 4 Recent polls:

Huckabee - 27.8%
    McCain - 22.5%
    Romney - 16.5%
    Thompson - 9.3%
    Giuliani - 7%
    Paul - 5%

15. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I would love to see him win, but lets not get crazy. I do not see anyone winning in a landslide.

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pardon my gusto .

17. Dagwood

Dagwood New Member

What state is this information about, South Carolina or Michigan?

18. faithcontender

faithcontender New Member

- South Carolina

And here is for Michigan:

McCain - 25.8%
    Romney - 22.4%
    Huckabee - 16.8%
    Giuliani - 8%
    Paul - 6.6%
    Thompson - 4.8%

For more polls go here

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well , the polls in New Hampshire were way off . Something tells me this poll is way off as well . Add about 20 more points for Thompson . Yeah , 29.3% is about right . And he's just getting warmed up . He'll get about 40% in the actual vote . Huckabee's favorables are dwindling in my estimation . So put him down to about 18.5% for now . Yes , it's wonderful to do political prognostications !