1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can God commit an Evil Act?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Eladar, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Thank you Margo.

Eladar, I am saying the opposite.

I am saying that, although the word "evil" carries with it, today, that the "evil act" was sinful or wrong, the word's meaning when it was written was implied to be more of something cataclysmic or catastrophic.

I would not apply the word "evil" to the act today because it would lead some to wrongly believe that God somehow sinned.

2. Eladar

Eladar New Member

What about the words translated from the original language? Did those words simply mean catastrophic?

3. gopchad

gopchad New Member

I think everyone is missing the point. God has ordained the killing of people for certain offenses. The Canaanites were wicked people who worshipped false gods in the land that God gave His people. God passed judgement on them, and the sentence was death. I still submit that killing people is only wicked/evil when it is done outside of God's prescribed plan. Thou shalt not kill is a command to not UNLAWFULLY take human life. Genesis 9:6 is a command to LAWFULLY take human life. The premise of the original post is completely and utterly without merit logically and theologically because it assumes that the taking of human life is ALWAYS evil.