1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can God have Any original Thoughts now, or has He fixed them?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Yeshua1, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can God still have any new/original thoughts, since he has indeed "fixed" from eternity past all that will ever happen?

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There appears to be an assumption in the question that things can be "new" to God - as in His never having considered it that way before. I don't think that characterizes the mind of God at all.

The following verses - Isaiah 14:24 - "The LORD Almighty has sworn, "Surely, as I have planned, so it will be, and as I have purposed, so it will happen." and Psalm 33:11 - "But the plans of the LORD stand firm forever, the purposes of his heart through all generations." ....

... these verses don't imply that God is wearing blinders and has never considered alternate plans of actions merely because He is focused on the only Holy plan of action. God is not ignorant of any other plan or purpose - natural or supernatural. His singleness of plan and purpose doesn't make Him unaware of anything.

God has no epiphanies, no revelations, no eye-opening discoveries and no divinations.

Why not? Because He IS epiphanous, He reveals, He opens OUR eyes, and He is all that is divine in the first place.

#2 Scarlett O., Mar 16, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

There is a difference in God's thoughts/knowledge and ours.

God possesses de se knowledge which means His knowledge in absolute, complete and doesn't require experience to know something.

Mankind possesses in re knowledge which means our knowledge is limited, incomplete and does require experience to know something.

God's knowledge and man's knowledge are entirely different, just like God and mankind are entirely different beings.

God has complete, absolute and infinite knowledge of all things. All things are original in Him and originate from Him.

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Since one of God''s attributes is immutability, the answer to the OP question is No.

God cannot have a new thought, for that would represent a change.
    God cannot know something he didn't know before, for that would be a change.

What God knows he has always known.
    What God decides he has always decided.

When we change our mind, we change our will.
    When God changes his mind, he wills a change--a change he has willed from eternity.

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True story.

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Very well put.

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

You have a good ability to think outside the box. I have seen some threads started lately relating to eternity, theology, and God. One said, where did God come from? Another asked when did God write the names in the Book of Life? I think there were a couple of others also. My point is, eternity has no time or space as we know it, or understand it. Words like when and where do not apply. Certainly, the hardest one to ponder on some of these subjects is why. Good post.

8. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

The purpose of posts is not excitement.

10. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

That must mean the world, and every event that takes place therein, was never a new thought of God, so we and absolutely everything we do never had an origin in the thoughts of God... which is equivalent to God never having a choice about us. It is, perhaps, the mental illustration of "If God can do anything, can he create a rock so big the can't li[SIZE=3]ft it?" Hy[SIZE=3]per[SIZE=3]calvinism wou[SIZE=3]ld be an infinite understa[SIZE=3]tement for this.[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

11. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I agree that God does not have any new or original thoughts, but, I think we overuse immutability somewhat. God is Omniscient and Timeless, and knows all things, but I do not think that an original thought would contradict his Immutability. Immutability, as I understand it is his inability to change his essential nature or the essence of his being. IMO we are better to appeal to Omniscience and his eternality than Immutability. Just a thought. <----but not an original one :laugh:

#11 HeirofSalvation, Mar 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2013
  12. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

God knows all because He has seen all. There's nothing for Him to learn, because He already knows it....my finite mind can not wrap around what I just typed, but it's the truth.