1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Can I Learn To Love (Or At Least Like) St. Paul?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Crabtownboy, Jan 1, 2014.

1. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Yep, I really enjoy reading NT Wright. Another great thinker, who yes "thinks for himself" :) Don't know for certain though, I have never encountered him "wondering if he could learn to love Paul". But I am thankful for his scholarship, yes even though I am not in the same theological box as he is.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep that kind of liberalism

3. quantumfaith

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even though he denies the inerrancy of the bible, and his views on Pauline justification run counter to what paul clearly stated in Romans?

5. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Apparently you do not believe in the inspiration of Scripture. I would be interested in knowing, and I am sure others would also, just what criteria do you use in determining which Scripture is inspired and which is not! Just what did Paul write that conflicts with what Jesus Christ said? What criteria do you use to determine what are the Words of Jesus Christ? I want to know if "Saved by Grace and Justified by Faith" are inspired or are they figments of Paul's imagination?

The following is beyond sick for a professing Christian!

I never heard of the person you reference and who wrote the above but I question his relationship with God!

#25 OldRegular, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2014
  6. OldRegular

Well said Icon. I agree 100%!

7. OldRegular

Don't know that I have heard of NT Wright but the problem with some "Scholars" is they believe they are smarter than God. Bishop Pile comes to mind. I believe he died looking for the Historical Jesus in Israel!

#27 OldRegular, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2014
  8. OldRegular

That passage came to mind while reading your first sentence. This person, and many others, would do well to seriously consider that passage. There is much in Scripture I cannot claim to understand but what I cannot understand I still accept and love as the Word of God. I also agree with your question about the man's relationship with God.

9. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Wright made a statement that the church has had salvation wrong for 2000 years. He's come to straighten all that out. :sleep:

10. OldRegular

Does that leave you and me out, or does it leave Wright out?

11. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Both, he's on the out with us, and we're on the out with him for not believing his nonsense. But, you know, at least he's humble in realizing everyone else had it wrong until he came along. :laugh:

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have had many conversations with him over the years on this issue. He takes Jesus words, interprets them through the lens of liberalism (which is wrong) and then agrees or disagrees with the rest of the Bible through that lens. But he place personal experience over scripture anyway.

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  14. Stegley

Stegley New Member

Lol. What you are doing here is setting yourself up for every patronizing and condescending Church person in here to unload upon your needy heart all of their milque toast aphorisms. They live for questions like the one you just asked.

Ask them if they follow Jesus, that is, do they obey His Commands. Ask them if they can even remember what half of His Commands are. But be careful when you do. They do not like to depart from their prepared and scripted "answers," and from their spiritual comfort zones where they think they are "resting in Jesus."

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, he claims that the church has misunderstood pauline theology of justification, so what Calvin, Luther, andall the rest of the reformers, and men like like Spurgeon, McAthur, et all, he has come to starighten out!

16. OldRegular

It is obvious that the carries a huge burden of "humility"!

17. quantumfaith

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  19. OldRegular

Many years ago I read a very good book by Clark H. Pinnock, "The Scripture Principle". He states in the Preface:
    Shortly after Pinnock wrote The Scripture Principle he began teaching at the New Orleans Baptist Seminary.

Writing in Christianity Today,http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2010/augustweb-only/43-22.0.html, of Pinnock's death in 2010 Doug Koop states:
    Koop writes further about the career of Pinnock:

So what happened to Pinnock that he went from a proponent of the Inerrancy of Scripture to Open Theism? The Roman governor said of the Apostle Paul: Paul, thou art beside thyself; much learning doth make thee mad.[Acts 26:24]

I said in an earlier post that some "Scholars" apparently get the idea that they are smarter than God and referenced the demise of Bishop Pike. Though the Apostle Paul was a man of great learning his writings in Scripture are the Words of God. But are the "Scholors", N. T. Wright and Clark H. Pinnock, like Bishop Pike?

#39 OldRegular, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2014
  20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Didn't Clark move from inerrancy, to limited view, to full blown Open theism, and even that salvation could be found in other world religions, not just in jesus and biblcal christianity?

Another smart mind was karl barth, who seemed to come right up to universalism, but shied away...

And Rudoplh Bultmann was expert in linguistics/theology, could tell you in German and greek what paul and John said about jesus, but did not believe in what they said!

maybe can be to smart for ones own good!

#40 Yeshua1, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2014