1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can I vent?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by thegospelgeek, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Shortandy

Shortandy New Member

These are the same people that teach if you don't wear a coat and tie on Sunday you are disrespecting God and they are the relatives of those that think clapping your hands or raising your hands is wrong. And all of it comes from the same place my friend....arrogance.

We are foolish enough at moments to assume that we have it all figured out and if people are not just like us then something is wrong with them.

It has always been this way and it always will until Christ returns. These people breed and are in every church.

So hang in there.

2. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I think that is a little too harsh and with to broad a brush. I have know many wonderful Christian brothers and sisters that have held to the view of men wearing their hair short. And in my last post I posted a verse that at least support why some feel this way.

It really comes down to a heart thing. I have absolutely no problem with someone who believes he should keep his hair short and feels like he should dress nicely out of respect for God. It is only when people start lauding it over others or look down on others for not doing the same does it become a problem. We have to be careful not to do just that to them as well.

3. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

It's hard NOT to be arrogant when we see ignorance on display like that, but I guess it's just as ignorant if we mock people instead of trying to teach them.

I'm just as guilty as the next person. I don't like to admit how much stuff I'm ignorant of, but I like to take pride in thinking I know a lot more in some areas than others.

So I guess we all breed and pass on our faults and often even our ignorance.

I wonder how much less of this would be going around if we all just focused on teaching the basic story of Christ. Of all the things we talk about in our spare time, is the one and only reason for our existence a main topic?

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Arrogance?? Why be so quick to judge? You assume you know the hearts of individuals or churches that have set for themselves standards of different sorts.

Is that any different than the corporate world? Do most corporate businessmen have a standard of dress that they adhere to? Does the sales person that comes to your door representing his company dress in a t-shirt and jeans. I haven't noticed that. The world knows better. The world knows how to gain the respect of other people in the way that they dress, and yet the Christian doesn't care when it comes to respect for God. Pitiful isn't it?!

Perhaps it is a matter of holiness. By holiness I mean one strives to be as close to God as possible and as far away from the world as possible. By "world" is meant a love of worldly ways, things, leisure, etc. Things that take the place of God. Thus the warning of Paul:

"Be not conformed to this world, but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind..."
    Elsewhere he says that:
    we are to "be conformed to the image of Christ."
    They are polar opposites.

The accusation of arrogance is all together wrong. You cannot judge the heart of individuals you do not know.

5. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I am posting this once agin because I feel it just go lost in my last post,

"Does not even nature itself teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a dishonor to him,
    but if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her? For her hair is given to her for a covering. "
    -1Cr 11:14-15

While I personally don't care much either way about a persons hair length. There are verses to support those that feel strongly about it. Let us not act as if they have pulled this idea out of thin air.

6. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

That's a good one, although it leads me to wonder about the sin nature of water buffaloes!

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Yes, good Scriptural evidence for the position taken.

8. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Everyone knows buffaloes don't spend enough time in the word :laugh:

#28 Steven2006, Dec 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2009
  9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

That is the nature of soul liberty. You have the perfect right to wonder about anything you want, even red herrings.

10. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Just to clarify, the topic was not started out of some sense of arrogance. If that were the case I would leave rather quickly. These are loving people who have been taught something and are slow to change. I would rather they be like that than change with every doctrine that blows.

I just get frustrated from time to time with things that are said without scriptural support. I have no problems with a personal conviction about hair, clothing, or such. I just don't think we should preach those convictions without support from scripture.

Has anyone gone through this as an Assistant? The Pastor has taught me much about what it takes to Pastor a Church, but how much can one disagree with the teachings and remain in harmony?

11. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

As far as dress. I don't know of any churches that require the men wear jacket and ties, only those that require the staff to do so. I also know of many places of employment that require their staff to adhere to certain dress codes.

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

See, if you're teaching the right things, you won't need to get to the nitty gritty. Additionally, if you're taught to read the Scriptures instead of letting someone tell you everything that's in there, and you have the Spirit in you, you will follow what the Scriptures say or atleast begin to dig and find out more.

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I think that would be a normal standard in many of the churches I have gone to. I don't know of any church that would require all their members to wear a tie. You sure wouldn't get many visitors that way. But the staff are required to hold to a higher standard, as official representatives of the church.

14. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Exactly!

I had to add this to make it long enough to submit :laugh:

15. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Something tells me that neither Peter,Paul or Jesus read from the KJV. especially since it would have been one of those new, wierd versions that came 1500 years later.

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Their version was three letters short of an mv it was the MT.
    In Hebrew, much more accurate.

17. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

But I wasn't wondering about fish!

I meant the comment as a joke...I don't know the interpretation of that verse and whether it means nature as in animals or nature as in what comes natural to humans, so I was trying to think of animals that had lots of hair and I thought of lions and buffalos, then I thought of Veggie Tales singing "Everybody wants a water buffalo" and so I thought of those because they're really hairy, and that made me think about the possibility of animals sinning, and...well, now you have me thinking about whether a buffalo would eat a red herring if it was really really hungry, and if the buffalo's would have survived their near-extinction if man had taught a buffalo to fish...SEE? I can barely help myself!

18. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Yep. I do understand. We've just been agreeing so much lately that I had to mix it up a bit and see how it would go. :thumbs:

I noticed that when I went from one of those types that try to teach and pound into you every tiny part of your life, focusing on what you should wear, look like, and all that and joined one that just taught, I quit stagnating and grew. Church meetings were no longer an obligation, but something I looked forward to intensely. I feel like I'm drowning if I'm away from a church teaching church. I never felt that way in the ones that went nuts trying to get us all to come in looking and acting like drones.

19. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why? Do you want long hair?

20. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I would be happy with any hair.