1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can omniscience choose?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Apr 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Like your brother's conversion recently (or not)...

2. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

What about "monster god"? Is that a violation, too? I've only been lurking (very lightly) the last several weeks, so maybe you pointed the same thing out to Van in that one thread which grew and grew and I quit following after a couple days.

Anyways, congrats on becoming a moderator - you'll do a great job. Excellent choice, IMO.

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now that was a really GREAT Day!:thumbs: (Or YEA)...

#83 Earth Wind and Fire, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2011
  4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    JF..... I thought you are a Calvinist? Am I wrong?

5. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I agree. The same treatment of Van's use of "monster" should be reigned in. If I see it, I will provide the same correction for the same reason. Thanks for pointing that out.

I think we can have really profitable discussions if we leave that type of attack out. After all, one side is probably wrong which means one side is going to be accusing God of being something he is not. Something that shouldn't be taken lightly. :godisgood:

Thanks for saying so. I respect you too and think you would likewise serve well in such a roll if the need arises. Proof that two believers can disagree without being disagreeable. :thumbsup:

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Which day, the one from months ago are just recently?

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good Friday.... a splendid day actually! It truly has been in all honesty, a time for celebration around here. Now since he is a pastor, i might ask for his assistance with a church plant in NW New Jersey....fantastic right. Ive been speaking to a Primitive Baptist group just yesterday actually. What do you think?

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

About what, primitive baptists? Not my cup of tea, but to each their own.

You never did get around to clarifying the fact you stated months ago about your brother already being reformed. Do you have more than one brother?

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No....I NOW believe he was heading in that direction due to the fact that his head Pastor is a Calvinist but he wasnt there at that point, just teetering. It was my impression at the time that he had committed to Calvinism but he really didnt commit at that point. I was like that for a while, an Arminian or better yet, a 4 point Calvinist till I studied it more & prayed for enlightenment. Then "Bada Bing" regeneration. Sometimes it happens slowly & gradually and other times (I guess dramatically). Im only guessing that thats where he was also. However, he did finally profess his conversion to me Friday.

He did clarify it as he was involved in Arminian indoctrination by his College & later by his IFB Pastor who is still very Arminian. I also think that because he has been very heavily studying Greek, that may have also influenced him.

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Feigned civility is like too much honey—sickening. It makes for a poor reply. Auditions make for even poorer replies, and that one was dripping and obvious.

This is paganism.

11. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

depends on which calvinist you talk with!
    just kidding, going by what is meant by that ternm on BB ...

I dont know!

Strongly believe in 4 points of TULIP, not sure on concept of limited/unlimited atonement

even If I go for all 5 ponts, probably not one in the "clasdsic" sense of the term, as I believe in believer baptism, hold to dispy eschatology, and believe in spiritual Gifts operating today (NOTE ALWAYS must function in Biblical operation/order, NEVER adds to/instead of the Bible!)

So my understanding would be qualified as such by salavtion, but disqualified due to other points listed!

12. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

What you called "feigned civility" I call an honest attempt to get along with a brother with whom I disagree. The fact that you can't recognize that through this medium is unfortunate. I imagine that if we could sit down over some coffee in person we could be friends. But, maybe your hatred for what I believe prevents that? I can't do anything about that except say a prayer for you and hope for the best.

I will point out that I get along swimmingly with several other Calvinistic believers on this board and in real life, so I don't think the problem is with me. If it is I sincerely apologize. I really do want to be at peace with all men if I can, but you have to be willing to meet me half way brother.

Plus, as a former Moderator yourself, I think you would understand the need for civility, even if you have to "fake" it at times in order to comply with the rules.

There is nothing non-Christian about believing God is a spiritual being who can manifest himself in bodily form. God is spoken of as wrestling with Jacob and walking in the garden...however one wants to explain those texts there is nothing pagan about what I expressed in the context of my discussion with Luke.

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is where I was up till a year or so.....have you read "The Doctrines Of Grace" by James Montgomery Boice?

14. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

nope, might look at that book, know about the author!
    My main theologies read/studied have been milliard Erickerson/Hodge/Calvin Institutes

So do lean towards calvinism as regards compared to Armenion theory of atonment/salavation but still into dispy/gifts/believer baptism, all not part of 'classic" calvinism!

#94 JesusFan, Apr 28, 2011
  15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Still auditioning? You've been cast already.

I can't imagine why you'd bother. Your God just hopes for the best, too. Your best bet would be to try to persuade me. After all, that is where my hope lies if I have any. Gotta hand it to the Catholics, they followed free will to its logical conclusion during the Inquisition. Maybe if you threaten me with being flayed alive you could provide the proper motivation for me to choose rightly.

We don't not get along. I'm simply straightforward with what I think of your doctrine.

Enough with the auditions already!

Only Calvinism would allow that someone with such a small and carnal notion of God is still known of Him.

#95 Aaron, Apr 28, 2011
  16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Aaron, is all of that hate and hostility "trolling for Jesus" you had on your signature recently? UNBELIEVABLE! I thought the doctrine you hold so near and dear to your heart contained obedience? Is the way you treat Skan and the rest of us non-cal's consistent with how Jesus would?

Eternity is a long time...you better start liking and getting used to us now.

I reported your post,btw. Cannot believe you were a moderator at one point :eek: was that the Crusader era of the bb?

#96 webdog, Apr 28, 2011
  17. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Aaron, Skandelon is trying to be nice. No reason to mock him with comments back about being a moderator. We can disagree over doctrine and that's fine. I have many friends that are not calvinistic as I am and get along with them just fine.

18. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

How completely immature, in all ways.

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats the last book Dr Boice wrote prior to his death. He was committed to providing the information. I dont even think about Covenant or Dispensational theology....I see them both as problematic.

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    you know Ive been called Apostate, Heretic, Troll, Told I worship a Monster belief system, told I wasnt a Christian. This place can be quite rude & downright scummy at times. But I've never ratted anybody out. If I have a problem with someone I PM them & speak man to man. Oh Ive thought about it & even once threatened someone but Ive never been the hall monitor. So really if thats what its coming down to, well as we say in Jersey...."forgetta boud it"...... Baba Bing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.