1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Can one hold to non Biblical views on the Trinity and yet be saved?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Yeshua1, Jan 22, 2014.

1. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I think maybe some clarification is in order. In my estimation, the word "nature" denotes substance.

In case that wasn't clear, let me use a few examples to better demonstrate how I understand "nature"

The nature or substance of water is hydrogen and oxygen.

The nature of plywood is wood and glue

The nature of a ball bearing is metal

And since the scriptures teach that the "substance" of God is Spirit, then what does nature have to with Trinity? Now, all I am doing is asking for clarification of one word.

Kenneth Copeland believes that God is a Spirit being with a body, who is about 9 feet tall. But He affirms a 3-in-1 Trinity of coequal Persons. How this would work, I cannot pretend to know

I would consider that he has missed the nature of God, but affirms the Trinity as described in the creeds.

So, I would surmise that someone can affirm what is considered a "biblical" Trinity, yet also miss on the nature of God. I don't see "nature" as necessarily corresponding to any concept of Trinity. It is possible that the two can be mutually exclusive

So can you clarify exactly what you're asking ?

2. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Joseph Hart (1712 – May 24, 1768) was an 18th-century Calvinist minister in London. His works include "Hart's Hymns", a much-loved hymn book amongst evangelical Christians throughout its lifetime of over 200 years, which includes the well-known hymn, "Come ye sinners, poor and needy" ....."

Don't know if Hart was Anglican or Methodist, he was converted by George Whitefield and the song does appear in Methodist hymnals.

It's called 'I Will Arise and Go to Jesus' in the Old School Hymnal used by a lot of Primitive Baptist churches.

Invitation hymn? Lol, the first time I was ever in a Primitive Baptist church they sang 'Just As I Am' during the normal song service. Blew my mind.

#22 kyredneck, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2014
  3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IF you hold to say Modualism, and believe that there is ONLY Onbe being known as God, who manifested himself as Father/Son/Spirit in history, but NOT as 3 seperate persons, just SAME person each time, how can you have a bilical God, how can THAT God actually save you?

And if , as Oneness do, see jesus ALONE as father/son/spirit, denying there are 3 seperate persons, how can TAHT jesus save you, as he is no different than a JW/Mormon one?

I agree do not need to understand the trinity to be saved by God, but can you believe in any other God but the One laid out in Bible, and still be saved by that falso god, that you created to worship?

4. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Kenneth Copland and his Word of Faith heresy is a poor one to reference! It seems to me that you are "nit picking" over the word Trinity with no valid reason. That there are three different persons in the Godhead is clearly taught in Scripture as is the truth that there is one God. It is beyond mans capability to understand and must be accepted by faith as is the truth of salvation wrought by God!

#24 OldRegular, Jan 23, 2014
  5. sag38

sag38 Active Member

:thumbsup: We need a "Like" button here.

6. Jacob_Elliott

Jacob_Elliott New Member

I second that!:thumbsup:

7. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

8. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

OK gentlemen....I am expecting royalties.

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IF you hold to a non trinitarian viewpoint, hard to see how jesus could talk tot he father, and have Him respond back in a voice all heard!

And IF God was incarnated as jesus alone, who ran heaven while God was away?

#29 Yeshua1, Jan 23, 2014
  10. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why is Kenneth Copeland a poor example? I chose his case to make a specific point. It's not my fault if you didn't see the point.

I was simply asking for clarification from Yeshua1 on the word "nature", and how it relates to "Trinity". It seemed as though "nature" was being used to say that "Trinity" is God's nature, while I don't think everyone would use "nature" in that way.

Then, I used a specific example to demonstrate that it is possible to embrace the "orthodox" definition of "Trinity", and at the same time have a warped view of God's nature.

So, since a person can have an orthodox view of Trinity, yet a heretical view of God's nature, then the two can be mutually exclusive. I thought a little clarification was in order

And I as not nitpicking any notion of the Trinity, as I did not comment one way or another about it.

If I were nitpicking anything, it would be ambiguity. I don't think it's fruitful to discuss anything if the words don't all mean the same thing to everybody. If people understand the words differently, then two people holding opposite views can agree, not knowing that they actually disagree

This is what I was trying to get at in the Trinity video thread before it was closed - cut through the ambiguity, and clearly define all the words, or don't ask for agreement. I refuse to unwittingly nod with someone who I disagree with

What good is it if two people agree with what is said, yet have different understanding of what was meant? And I have seen this hundreds of times on another board. Two people nod in agreement, then months or years later find that they never did agree because they didn't define the words the same as each other

11. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I admit the how of the Trinity is beyond human comprehension. However, it seems to me that the definition of the Trinity is quite clear and based on Scripture. The 1644 [1646 Edition] London Baptist Confession does a very good job of defining the Trinity though that word is not used in the Confession.

12. thisnumbersdisconnected

What do you mean, "if"???

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hart was a Congregational preacher at Jewin Street Chapel,London. It was packed with people. And apparently his hymns were also packed with doctrinally sound,practical,biblical words. His works have been neglected as have some others.

14. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I mean "if" because i wasn't. But that seemed to be the perception - the running assumption.

Nitpicking has a motive to find baseless fault. I don't think the OP meant to be ambiguous, I think he assumed that everyone uses the same words in the same way.

I was simply asking for clarification, and gave an example, so that he could see the point I was trying to make. In other words, the basis for my request for clarity.

Are you content with giving a nod, even if you're not sure what someone meant? Are you not aware that our president won an election with an ambiguous promise? CHANGE was the promise. And there were many conservatives asking for clarification, so that voters would know what that meant, before they were asked to give him the nod.

I guess all of us conservatives were just nitpicking. How dare we ask for clarification, right?

Have you ever seen the warning that though a Jehovah's Witness uses the same words as Christians, they don't intend the same meaning? It is easy to think you're speaking the same language because you agree with the words, not knowing you disagree with the content of the meaning

Would you consider it to be nitpicking if I were to ask a JW to clarify his use of the word "saved", or to clarify what he means by " Jesus died for my sins" ?

Why should I be labeled a fault finder, just for trying to make sure we're speaking the same language? Maybe I'm different from most, but I find it impossible to agree or disagree if it's unclear what someone else means

15. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I agree with this, and say this it is very scriptural.

But, if you'll notice the bolded part, it does not say that there are three beings which comprise a Godhead. It says that there is in this Being there is Father, Word, and Holy Spirit

And this is why I asked in the other thread if anyone would define "Person":

Percho gave this answer, seemingly denoting three beings:
    Though he didn't say it in plain words, it seems that he defines "Person" as a being. Thus, three beings. On that basis, I would reject his "Trinity" of "One God in Three Persons"

You quoted yourself with:
    But I wasn't asking for a definition of "person" as it relates to a man. I was asking for a definition as it relates to Three Persons of God

You also wrote:
    But I wasn't asking about how the bible defines person, because it never describes God as "Person" or "Persons". And you never answered whether you think "Person" is a being, a personality, a manifestation, a mode, a will, or something else?

It seems, from your answer, that you might understand "Person" as a personality. Maybe I'm wrong and you could correct me. But you were more ambiguous with your explanation than you were without it, so who knows what you meant?

Pray tell, what in the world is wrong with being clear as to our meaning? I know that none of us are perfect at it, but isn't clarity a vital aspect of honesty?

16. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks Rippon.

17. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...'ya all know I ain't no Yale Graduate but to me, understanding the Trinity is quite simple. To me, it's not mysterious at all.

Compare said Trinity to that of any loving and kind parent toward their young children who provide all of the child's physical and emotional needs. Albeit, a brief period of time but enough time to raise the child in the admonition of the Lord. :thumbs:

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God is ONE eternal being, and residing within His One being are co existent/co eternal persons, father/Son/Holy spirit, as each one of them are God, yet God is still JUST One being, one God!

NOT 3 seperate Gods, nor just a single person, who manifests Himself at different times as the father, Son, or Spriit!

Nor id jesus Himself all the 3 persons in One!