1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can only access 3 sites

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Alcott, May 3, 2013.

1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does anyone know why, with AT&T U-verse, it has gotten to where I can only access a very few sites? Otherwise I get a diagnostics page, which never helps if I go through any troubleshooting steps. This site is not one of those few, but I am on a company computer now.

Once I got on a help chat, and the guy said it should be my phone lines. But that does not make sense, or how can I access anything at all? Those few sites-- Facebook, ScotTrade, Youtube-- are probably among the 5 that I most often used before this gradually came to be, and the other 2 that I now cannot access would be this site and lycosmail.

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I learned a long time ago to 'clean up' and clear such things, so I do that regularly. But thank you; if I can't solve this my presence won't grace this site over the weekend (but hold the tears :laugh:).

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Didn't mean to insult your intelligence; always start with the simple, and work up from there. Knew a guy once that charged someone $75 to fix a printer problem; turned out, all he did was connect the printer cable to the computer. I thought he ripped the guy off; he didn't see a problem with it.

I'm leaning towards the DNS solution. And take a look at resetting the TCP/IP (a link to that is in the article).

#4 Don, May 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2013
  5. Winman

Winman Active Member

For a DNS problem, often you can simply right click on the computer icon at the bottom of your page for Network Connection and choose "Repair". It will disable your Network Connection and then enable it, flush DNS and several other steps. Sometimes you have to do it more than once.

6. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

For DNS problems, another solution may be to use OpenDNS rather than your ISP's servers.

7. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I'm logged in from home for the first time in 9 days or more, and I still can't figure this whole thing out. I tried moving my whole setup to another room to use a different wall jack-- same results. Yesterday I did a complete system restoral-- same results. Within the last half hour I was trying some more troubleshooting with the Properites->Connections and there was an option to browse, which I clicked on which just brought up a Bing page. So I searched for one of the pages I knew I have been unable to access, and.......here it is.

Maybe in the cyber world at least it's not always a mark of stupidity to keep trying the same things and to expect different results.