1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can only BJU grads preach?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by PackerBacker, Jan 17, 2002.

1. PackerBacker

PackerBacker New Member

Here was Little Lights comment on the thread that was closed.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> If some one who went to MY school and no other institution came to your church could they preach, or would they not meet the education standard needed to fill your pulpit? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For the benefit of those who did not see it, Little light gave us a picture of the Bible on the other thread and said that was his school.

I'd let someone preach at or pastor this mission work I'm at, without going to BJU or any other college. I've met some who have spent years in school and still seem clueless about God's Word. If they have been a student of the Word in or out of college is the real question. I was in many BJU grad churches during deputation and never had them turn me away because I was not from their school.

I'm curious where your school (the KJV Bible) tells you that Satan is using BJU as you mentioned on the other thread.

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Having graduated from a college whose roots are in the Northern Baptist movement, these are some observations concerning the quality of a BJ graduate's homiletics.<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>The University is going on 80 years in existence. (If someone has a exact number please post it.) This means there are three to four generations of its graduates in in the field.<LI>Being founded in the 1920s, the school's homiletic style predates the rise of radio, talking movies, and television.[/list]I have to stop for the moment but will be back to revise and extend my remarks.

[ January 18, 2002: Message edited by: The Squire ]

3. Siegfried

Siegfried Member

That reminds me of a big problem with BJU. Way too many of the faculty are alumni. Since they're very picky about the type of people they'll hire, and most PhD's in a field of biblical studies aren't in their camp, hiring from within may be their best option.

The problem is that if there are areas of deficiency, they are only going to be magnified over time. I suppose the same might be true of strengths, but people are quicker to notice the weaknesses.

4. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think this is the proper framework for this discussion.<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Why are BJ trained preachers perceived as being our benchmark?
    This reminds me of the slogan, "Equaled by some, Surpassed by none".<LI>Where does this perception meet reality?[/list]The following is a continuation of my previous post.<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>In the schools early years, there were those present who had actually heard Moody, Spurgeon, Torrey, et al. <LI>Bob Jones, Jr set a high standard for homiletic practice.<LI>Like or dislike their theological positions, historically BJ has taught theology with a fair degree of intelectual rigor.[/list]

[ January 18, 2002: Message edited by: The Squire ]