1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Can people be saved after they are dead?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by mandym, Mar 10, 2012.

?
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

100.0%
  1. mandym

mandym New Member

Can people be saved after they are dead? Please use scriptural support.

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    27And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

24I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.

24And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

25But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.

26For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

27But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries

38Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.

39But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.
    23And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

28Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,

29And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

There is an unbelievable amount of false teaching and belief...or should we say...UNBELIEF...being posted here lately....an enemy has done this.:thumbs::thumbs:

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

NO! :BangHead:

(See above post for scripture)

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Revelation 20:11–15

The Judgment of the Dead

11 Then I saw a great white thronex and him who was seated on it. The earth and the heavens fled from his presence,y and there was no place for them. 12 And I saw the dead, great and small,z standing before the throne, and books were opened.a Another book was opened, which is the book of life.b The dead were judgedc according to what they had doned as recorded in the books. 13 The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hadese gave up the deadf that were in them, and each person was judged according to what they had done.g 14 Then deathh and Hadesi were thrown into the lake of fire.j The lake of fire is the second death.k 15 Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of lifel was thrown into the lake of fire.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Lk. 16:19-31, "Now there was a rich man, and he habitually dressed in purple and fine linen, joyously living in splendor every day. "And a poor man named Lazarus was laid at his gate, covered with sores, and longing to be fed with the [crumbs] which were falling from the rich man's table; besides, even the dogs were coming and licking his sores. "Now the poor man died and was carried away by the angels to Abraham's bosom; and the rich man also died and was buried. "In Hades he lifted up his eyes, being in torment, and ^saw Abraham far away and Lazarus in his bosom. "And he cried out and said, `Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus so that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool off my tongue, for I am in agony in this flame.' "But Abraham said, `Child, remember that during your life you received your good things, and likewise Lazarus bad things; but now he is being comforted here, and you are in agony. `And besides all this, between us and you there is a great chasm fixed, so that those who wish to come over from here to you will not be able, and [that] none may cross over from there to us.' "And he said, `Then I beg you, father, that you send him to my father's house-- for I have five brothers--in order that he may warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.' "But Abraham said, `They have Moses and the Prophets; let them hear them.' "But he said, `No, father Abraham, but if someone goes to them from the dead, they will repent!' "But he said to him, `If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be persuaded even if someone rises from the dead.' "

6. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I won't answer yes or no because I am not God. But based on my belief in freedom and God's character and the following scripture, I will say I believe it is possible:

1 Peter 3:18-20

7. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

Naturally dead???????????
    or
    Spiritually dead???????????

You did not specify!

8. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

Ditto the dives and Lazarus story.

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

You have ripped this completely out of context, added to it, and formed your own opinion.

There are different interpretations but I believe these "spirits" in prison were demons who were put into this prison during the 120 years that Noah was building the ark. But regardless of who or what they were, they had already been judged as only 8 people were saved from the flood and the rest were judged and condemned. So it by no means makes a case for the "freedom" of God to give those already condemned a second chance after death to repent and believe, especially in light on many other verses which clearly say that after death one is judged.

10. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

Jesus preached through Noah to those who are now in prison. They weren't in prison when Jesus through Noah was preaching to them. They were still alive.

11. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

I will answer no. Not because I'm God, but because I do have His Word.

12. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

Can people be saved after they are dead?

The Mormons think so. Actually, if you raise them from the dead, then preach the gospel, yeah they could be saved.

13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Sure you can be saved after death. Upon waking up after dying, look in the phone book for the "2nd Time Around Store", and Mitt Romney will be glad to set you up with salvation.

14. Mark_13

Mark_13 New Member

Well someone should start splitting hairs here - do you mean clinical death, brain death - physicians say its actually very difficult to rigorously define what death is. There have been numerous people who died on the operating table, came back to life, attested to some experience in a real hell, and then were subsequently saved. So based on that, I would say, yes - people can get saved after dying.

15. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

ok hair splinter...:) I think you are splitting split ends. :D

16. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not know however a question.

If they died and this is their state as dead people:

the rich man also died and was buried. "In Hades he lifted up his eyes, being in torment, and ^saw Abraham far away and Lazarus in his bosom. "And he cried out and said, `Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus so that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool off my tongue, for I am in agony in this flame.

What is the purpose for this???

even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

17. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rev 22:11 He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.
    Rev 22:12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.

Jas 5:8 Be ye also patient; stablish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh.
    Jas 5:9 Grudge not one against another, brethren, lest ye be condemned: behold, the judge standeth before the door.

No, I do not believe in post-mortem evangelism. The verses Iconoclast posted above more than prove the answer. Those who try to argue otherwise do so because of wishful thinking and emotion.

18. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

And you are getting very good at spouting falsehoods -- been taking lessons from EWF and Iconoclast?

BTW, what is my opinion? I simply said I believe it is possible. Unlike some on here, I don't pretend to know everything about the afterlife.

19. ACF

ACF New Member

Just some thoughts.

1 Peter 3 mentions Christ's descent into Death, or Hell, or Hades (depending I suppose on which translation is used.....

The "Reformation" naturally opposed certain doctrines of the Catholic church, otherwise there would be no reason for a reformation in the first place.

The Apostles creed, is something with a history going back to the second century of the Christian Church.

Today it is too easily dismissed as something only of the RCC, but it has been a part of the Christian Church, much longer than any of the teachings of the reformers, and that is of some consequence to me, though I have been a Baptist all my life, and am anything but "Creedal".

In a more traditional translation, The Apostles Creed states;

"I believe in God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth.

And in Jesus Christ his only Son our Lord; who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead, and buried; he descended into hell; the third day he rose again from the dead; he ascended into heaven, and sitteth on the right hand of God the Father Almighty; from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Ghost; the holy catholic Church; the communion of saints; the forgiveness of sins; the resurrection of the body; and the life everlasting. AMEN."

So, the early Christian Church believed that Christ descended into Hell.

The Bible supports this.

The only question is did He do so in Triumph, Victory, and Defeat of death, as has long been a fundamental Christian belief?

It is commonly called "The Harrowing of Hell", precisely because of the purpose ascribed to it. A harrow is a harvesting tool.

I believe that Jesus Chirst preached the gospel to, and brought redemption to, souls imprisoned in Hell.

Which souls is another discussion entirely.

John Calvin taught that Christ descended into Hell to suffer.

He taught this to support his view of penal substitution.

I reject this teaching of Calvin entirely without any hesitation.

20. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree.
    Because it says that Jesus "preached to the spirits in prison [by the Spirit that raised Him from the dead]," even if this passages is talking about Him going to hell, rather than Him preaching to the spirits with are now in prison through Noah while he was building the ark, how can it be rightly said that He was "suffering" in hell while "preaching"?