1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can Reformers Really NOT Be Calvinists?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by DrJamesAch, Jun 25, 2013.

1. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

http://www.biblebelievers.com/Vance4.html

Excellent section taken from Laurence Vance's book, "The Other Side of Calvinism" that shows a DoG, SoG, Reformed Baptist, etc..can not separate themselves from the doctrine called "Calvinism".

Those who dogmatically claim they are not followers of John Calvin always show up on threads where a Non Calvinist is refuting Calvinism. If they are not really Calvinists, then why so defensive against those who write threads against Calvinism?

The Reformers, DoGs, SoGs, etc..are quick to defend the doctrines of a man they claim they do not follow, and then when John Calvin's murder of heretics, sprinkling of babies, heretical view of the sacraments, as well as the evidence of his heavy reliance on Augustine for the development of his views are addressed, these groups are quick to attempt to disassociate themselves with the person of Calvin.

Reformers, DoGs, SoGs, embrace the label of Calvin when it suits their debate tactics, and then ditch the term when it is inconvenient when the fallacies of Calvin and Augustine are brought up.

CALVINISTS (oh yes they are) do not consider it important that their entire belief system was derived from a heretic. What I wrote on another thread bares repeating:

2. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

Crickets! LOL

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

#3 saturneptune, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2013
  4. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    EWF seemed to have a ..."strong opinion" ...on this but seems to have headed to the hills about the time this thread showed up.

[​IMG]

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many who embrace some of the TULIP say they are not Calvinists, meaning they do not embrace John Calvin, they embrace Christ. However, when asked which of the TULIP doctrines they disavow, they dodge the question.

It seems the common characteristic of Calvinists is they speak in code, not a Calvinist does not mean not an advocate of the Doctrines of Grace. God is sovereign means God has predestined whatsoever comes to pass. Both "love" and "draw" means "irresistible grace." Chose includes meaning non-choice.

Jesus said our yes should be yes and our no should be no, meaning we should speak clearly without guile. Telling us what they are not to hide what they are. Shuck and jive.

6. clark thompson

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with you.

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

God bless those crickets... that's all you're going to get out of me.

8. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

Win/Win because I wasn't expecting anything from you :)

9. jonathanD

jonathanD New Member

I'm an Augustinian Calvinist. I got more points than a trophy deer.

:tonofbricks:

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ian Paisley:

"I've got five points,and all of them are SHARP!"