1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can saved people drink alchoholic wine and really be saved?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Jan 2, 2008.

?
  1. No, wine is evil and those who drink show that they have not really been saved.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Wine is evil and those who drink are PROBABLY not saved but it is possible.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Wine is Evil and it reflects a carnal Christian but does not effect salvation

9.8%
  4. Wine is good for medicinal purposes but not for anything else, but has nothing to do with salvation

13.1%
  5. Wine is a blessing from God that should be used moderately.

47.5%
  6. We have Christian liberty and can get drunk or whatever we want.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I don't like any of the options so I will post my own on the thread.

29.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

If we live as the Bible commands and do not make extra Biblical rules, then no problem. If we say something is wrong and then do it anyway, then we will be seen as hypocrites.

Yes, that is wrong. it was fine for Jesus and it was fine for Rod Bell (whoever he is, never heard of him)

2. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

I believe this to be really close to blasphemy and I get really tired of hearing it. Christ stands between me and God's judgement. I will be judged soley on the fitness of His sacrifice for my sins. I will NOT be judged on the basis of what I have or have not done because even my best is but a pile of filth in God's eyes.

Some here need a better understanding of the word grace.

3. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

deleted post after reading the other post again.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus drank alcoholic wine in moderation and the Bible does not forbid a Christian from drinking alcoholic beverages in moderation. Therefore, anyone can drink alcoholic beverages in moderation.

5. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Agreed, MK.
    While I do believe that we are all responsible for our actions, it is Christ who justifies us.
    If anyone thinks that he can add one bit to his holiness by not ever drinking, he is rather mistaken!

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

You are incorrect. Many here supported and support Dr. Bell. He resigned as pastor and did things biblically right. He has been restored to fellowship though he has moved.

I see yu joined last month. I am glad to see that after reading here for so long you finally decided to join.

7. KJVkid

KJVkid New Member

I stand corrected. I didn't realize there were so many standing with Dr. Bell. However my question still stands, why is it ok for Jesus to drink and not Dr. Bell?
    The answer is that the Lord Jesus didn't and Dr. Bell did and suffered the consequences.

8. Joe

Joe New Member

But that's the problem, what is moderation? We all agree the Bible says not to get drunk (intoxication).

Even if you prove alcohol is ok in the Bible, how much is considered drunk/intoxication?

Again, it is proven with 1/2-1 glass of wine EVERYONE looses inhibitions. I posted a link, there were many websites which offer this as fact. It peaks your sexuality. More than a glass or so begins to diminish it. This doesn't mean actions or words change. Does the Lord consider this amount intoxication?

1/2-1 glass of alcohol is just enough to follow through with some type of a sexual encounter with a very familiar face probably not committed otherwise. Had the alcohol been illegal, thus unattainable without a prescription, the sin wouldn't likely have occured.
    And no, not everyone will sin anyways, that is an excuse. Most people don't have the nerve, while in a sober state of mind, to take their clothes off in front of their good friend they now plan to commit sin with, even if they have a nice body. Almost all cases of adultery occur with the assistance of alcohol. It only takes 1/2-1 glass of wine to ruin someone's life, and possibly, send them to hell. God gave us natural instincts for a reason, not to drug ourselves to suppress them.

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Dr Bell would be the first to admit that his error was to go from "take a little wine for your stomach's sake" to disqualifying himself from the pastorate by becoming "given to wine."

Dr Bell had the wisdom to see the Bible's viewpoint on the issue.

10. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I thought I already answered that question. It was ok for Jesus to drink moderately, even though whatever He does is right.
    If Jesus did something then it was right. End of the discussion.
    Whether this Bell guy was given to wine or not I don't know.if he was then he was wrong.

11. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I don't remember having a discussion about a Dr. Bell???

Do we have a reference thread Roger?

12. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Oh? And just who posted these words?

You are calling Jesus a winebibber. I do know that Jesus was without sin and just as the lawyers here they were trying find a sin to falsely accuse Him. Is this your intent as well?

#52 Palatka51, Jan 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2008
  13. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Its been a while Bitsey. I don't know where the thread was, but everyone was very gracious to Dr Bell.

He was prescribed wine for a long standing stomach issue. Eventually he used the wine for more than that and resigned his pastorate to deal with the sin. Since he has received prayer and counseling and been restored to fellowship with his church.

Two lessons - the inherent danger of dabbling in wine and an example of biblical repentance and forgiveness.

14. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Which is why one should never dabble in it. Why lead yourself down that road? Avoid it period.

15. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

No, I did NOT call Jesus a winbibber. It is a blatant lie for you to say that I did.
    I have denied it twice now and you still insist that I did.
    it says quite clearly that He came "eating and drinking" that part is fact.
    Then it says that the pharisees accused Him of being a winebibber.

PLease read that again. I said he drank alchohol. I did NOT say he was a winebibber.
    Please do not be so dishonest with our representation of others people's posts.

16. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

You are adding to the Bible.

Gluttony is also a sin.
    Why not avoid it altogether by not eating?
    I realize that for some people it would be wise not to go to certain restaurants where they would be tempted to eat too much. It is also wise for someone who can't control themselves not to drink at all if they have no control.
    BUt to impose your own set of rules on others is exactly what the Pharisees did.

17. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's utter nonsense. It may be true for some people under some circumstances, but it is not true of everyone. Not by a long shot.

Nope. A person who is intoxicated in not in control and they are a danger to themselves and others.

Most people don't need any wine at all.

1/2 to 1 glass of wine will not have that effect on hardly anyone.

I find that very hard to believe. Sexual lusts and actions don't need to be fueled by alcohol.

Where did you get this statistic? It is laughable.

Wine must be very powerful to separate us from the love of God...

You mean the natural inclination toward sin? I don't know about anyone else, but I don't need alcohol to fuel my appetite toward sin. I do that on my own. Alcohol doesn't act as a mediator or gateway to sin either. Whenever my wife and I enjoy a small glass of wine, we are spending quality time together as a couple or with friends in good conversation and relaxed fellowship. It has NEVER turned into a drunken sex orgy like you seem to indicate.

It is clear that you don't know much about wine or alcoholic beverages.

18. KJVkid

KJVkid New Member

It is clear that you don't know much about wine or alcoholic beverages. by baptist "believer"
    Respectfully sir, it seems to me you don't know much about the Sinless Son of God.
    Do you know the qualifications of the High Priest?
    Do you know that in Christ there was no sin nor guile found in His mouth?
    Do you know He didn't even accept the "vinegar" offered to Him on the cross?

Yet you say The Lord Jesus drank alcohol? That's despicable!!

19. standingfirminChrist

In defense of BaptistBeliever...

I believe he does know much about the Lord. He just has not grasped the reality that Christ did not drink, nor produce, nor condone the drinking of alcoholic beverages.

#59 standingfirminChrist, Jan 3, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

After this post, it seems obvious you have never truly studied the 244 mentions of alcohol in the Bible, but only the flawed opinions of man.

Questioning the salvation of others is in violation of BB rules. You have been reported.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.