1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

can Someone Commit Blasphemy Against the Holy Spirit?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JesusFan, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    reply to all

It is pointless to continue this discussion as far as I can see, I have provided my view and hopefully supported in scripturally. There are not two unpardonable sins, so if you think trash talking the Holy Spirit is it, and you can obtain salvation and forgiveness without believing Christ's miracles were by the power of the Holy Spirit, good luck with that.

Folks, there is only unpardonable sin, and that is not believing Christ's miracles were by the power of God.

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Here is the facts. You DID NOT prove your assumption with scripture. The scripture proves your assumption incorrect.
    And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the [world] to come.

The sin is because of speaking against the Spirit.

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I cannot continue to discuss this absurdity.

If I speak against the Spirit every day for my whole life, and then on my last day, I put my trust in Christ, believing His miracles were by the power of God, and God credits my faith as righteousness, my trash talking the Holy Spirit will be forgiven.

You seem not to trust Christ alone for your salvation, but also must rely on not doing something bad. In a word, Absurd.

Goodbye

4. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

So Jesus was wrong?

5. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

First off yuo belief contradicts the lord. he says no you would not be saved, but there is a bigger problem, you don't get it. If you blaspheme the Spirit even once you will never want to come to Christ. Only God calls men to Himself. No man ever wanted God on his own. If you blaspheme the Spirit God would not call you so you would never be saved.

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Webdog has summarized this best IMO.
    The sin cannot be committed today.
    Jesus was God in the flesh, doing miracles right before their eyes by the power of the Holy Spirit. They, seeing those miracles, attributed them to Beelzebub, or to Satan. Continue to read Jesus answer to them. This situation cannot be duplicated today. Neither can the sin.

7. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So it is the will of man that leads one to salvation?

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You have made desire the hinge in salvation.

9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

darrell I consider anyone who takes part of a statement I make and try and make it say something other then what I said as being satanic in nature. I have no problem answering an honest question about something I say, or if someone has a specific question about what I believe in a matter, but if someone purposely twists or changes what I say to make a false accusation then I am not interested.
    Now it is possible that you some how only read part of my statement so I would encourage you to return to the post and read the whole thing.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Freeatlast has just stated he knows the intent of Darrel's question and attributed it to satan.

You can now chalk up at least one sin for today!

11. Joshua2415

Joshua2415 New Member

What do all of you think about someone who was saved, renounces Christianity in favor of atheism for a short time, and then God moves on them until they realize they are wrong and return to Christianity? Is that blaspheming the Holy Spirit? Or merely being led astray?

12. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

The quick answer is that it is not blasphemy. I consider blasphemy as attributing the work of the Holy Spirit to Satan.

13. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

It is neither. That is a person who was never saved in the first place. They are not returning to Christianity, they are coming for the first time if they get saved that time.
    Here is the reason. We talk about having a personal relationship with the Lord or knowing the Lord. It is impossible to know someone and then deny they exist. Once we know Him we will never unknow Him. I don't think He is I know He is and I personally know Him. It is the same for all believers.