1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Can Someone PLEASE Define Cussing/Profanity?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Apr 2, 2013.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I was in high school I got ahold of a tract that said, "Why must God d**n it?" I tried that line on a friend at school when he tried that curse, and it floored him. He said, "You know, I never thought about that before!"

2. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

John, That is the problem many of us have, we don't think before we open our mouth.

3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, you too? Or here on the BB, before we put fingers to keyboard. :type:

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now I want all my money back for actually supporting funding schools and I want the lighting controls back I donated to you folks...boy was that ever a mistake. You are continuiously proving to me just how right I was about you character's. Thanks very much for this eye opener. Sincerely appreciate the education.

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You misunderstand. The kneeling bow in Japan is the most respectful way possible to greet someone. Everybody does the standing bow, few do the kneeling. :saint:

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have been in that wilderness far to long...Americans don't bow to any human beings...well perhaps Obama...but I don't even believe that he is an....well you know.

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If he ever comes over here, we'll see if he bows to the Emperor. Probably would, huh.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is there anything in it for him

9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aptly put.

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Folks, I want to share an incident from Baptist history in Japan which is open to interpretation from either side. It may muddle things even more, but my hope is that it will cause both sides to think more deeply. It's from Southern Baptist Mission in Japan, by Calvin Parker (1989). This is an excellent read, and I recommend it. One thing it does is refuse to glorify us missionaries and refuse to put us on pedestals, and that is part of a good trend in missiology in recent years. (See especially From Jerusalem to Irian Jaya, by Ruth A. Tucker (2004 edition), a biographical history of missions.)

Here's the story: "At a Convention annual meeting, when a Japanese pastor said that churches could not be started without land and building, Garrott (Missionary Maxfield Garrott--JoJ) shouted 'Bakayaro!' So offensive is this term, usually translated "You fool," that its one time use by Prime Minister Yoshida in a Diet debate almost toppled his government. Yet Garrott's use of the obscenity--he could be excused as a foreigner--and later it was praised by Convention president, Shoji Okamura, as a shock that eventually won Convention wide support." (Parker, p. 197).

Here are some comments. First of all, the term's literal meaning is "foolish country bumpkin." Doesn't sound bad to you Americans, does it? This illustrates how epithets (not really an obscenity as the author says) are culturally connected. If the society around you thinks it's offensive, it is. If I were to go downtown on a Friday night and call someone this, I could get in any number of street fights!

Next, it is offensive to me that the Japanese overlooked the offense. It's paternal and prejudiced--"Well, the poor foreigner can't learn our language properly. He doesn't know any better." I've faced this prejudice many times, and it hurts. You might say, "They thought it helped." That was probably what is called tatemae (puttingup a front) in Japanese, trying to help the missionary save face.

Finally, I guarantee that the Japanese pastor who was called this name never forgot and never forgave. Plus, I'm sure the friends of the Japanese pastor took his side.In this way the missionary (really a good missionary who just made a mistake) actually limited his future ministry.

There you have it: cross-cultural experience with taboo words. Make of it what you will, just let it make you think.

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  12. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Thought about this quite a bit before replying.

EW&F, while I may disagree with your "actions", I'd be dishonoring Our Saviour, if I bore any connotations of the word "despise" in my heart for you, my brother in Christ.

There is one gauge that I've learned to apply in my life. One that helps me examine what's in my heart with regards to others. Especially, when there is disagreement. Especially, when ............ pause ......... no, I won't go there with what I've experienced, personally, from the words of others.

A simple yardstick.

If given the opportunity would I wash your feet, Brother EW&F?

yes

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you an Old School Baptist? We wash feet....consider it a Christ mandated ordinance.

Today I give thanks for the fellowship that we have if you honestly feel that way.

Most of all, I thank God for the grace he extended to me and I give thanks to my Lord and Saviour, for giving his life as a perfect sacrifice to save a wretch like me.

Peace and prayers to you and your family

#93 Earth Wind and Fire, Apr 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2013
  14. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Don't know how to answer your first question. I guess the best answer is I'm just a Baptist, whatever that may mean. :flower: Our church doesn't consider it to be an "official" ordinance. Only baptism and communion.

Briefly, I had an encounter with another person, shortly after I returned to church. One that could have led me to "dispise" that person for what was said. It's hard to put into words. I had a choice to make. While wrestling with this, I believe the Holy Spirit led me to "understanding", for the first time, of what Jesus did when He washed the feet of others. That in turn led to some soul searching. Can I willingly wash John Doe's feet? When I answered that question all things associated with "dispise" and that person disappeared. A "yardstick" was born.

Yes, Brother, if given the opportunity to wash your feet, I'd reach for a pan of water. You and I may disagree to the point of :BangHead: with each other. Just as better half and I do from time to time. :smilewinkgrin: In either case all I have to do is remember Jesus with a towel in His hand to put "dispise" right where it belongs.

Pause.............. to offer a prayer of thanks that can only be fully expressed by the Holy Spirit when my words fail, once again, to convey what wants to be said.

May our Saviour be with you and yours.

15. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Now wait a minute Zaac, if the words are good enough for President Nixon on his tapes, then they have to be good enough for us. LOL

[​IMG]

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbs:...again "Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel."—Matthew 23:24.