1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can Someone Please Help Me Understand?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Ps104_33, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Why is it when it is suggested that we start rounding up illegals and deporting them the liberals say, "Why, you just cant round up 12,000,000 people and send them back to Mexico. Do you realize what an undertaking that is? We dont know where they are etc,etc, blah blah, blah"
    But yet, we can seem to find a way to issue them all driver's licences. How is this possible? Can we not round them up at the DMV? What a message this sends to those who have been patiently waiting in line to come into this great country. The illegals get drivers licences. Sheeesh.

2. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

You have a valid complaint. Only, we aren't "finding" them to license them. It's more like them "showing up."

3. North Carolina Tentmaker

We don't have to round them up. The only reason they are here is because we have created this second tier economy where they can work and make more money than they have at home. If we were to just enforce existing law, take away the government benefits they are getting and prosecute businesses and individuals who hire them then they would go home on their own.

4. North Carolina Tentmaker

Does anybody really want to solve the immigration problem?

Here is a real solution. Annex Mexico and make it part of the United States. Open up their economy to the free market. Let the US start using their oil. Give them the economic freedom that we have here in the US and the problem would be solved.

Oh, wait, then we would still have immigrants from other countries.

Why don't we pass our freedoms on to them as well?

Does nobody on the left side of the political world wonder why the United States, with our measly few hundred million people, out produces the rest of the world. Why does everyone want to come here and why are we so much more successfull? We have only been around a couple hundred years, other countries have been around longer, have more people, have more resources. Yet here we are.

Oh, wait, I forgot, they think we stole it all.

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I got a better idea. Give Massachusetts and New York to Mexico and corral them there. Then Hillary could not run for President.

6. richard n koustas

richard n koustas New Member

i think that the best way to round them up is to tell them we will issue drivers licenses to them...no documentation required, just pay a nominal fee (like the cost of a one way airfare to their country of origin). tell them the meeting place will not be at the local DMV (because there will be way too many of them), but at the local international airport. once there, collect the fee, herd them into planes and send them home. :) they can reenter the country legally next time.

7. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

We don't outproduce squat anymore. We are a nation of consumers, not manufacturers. Go to any small town where the downtown is devastated, where industrial factories and warehouses stand vacant and decaying. We have sold our birthright and outsourced our jobs to slave labor. We are way down the list on life expectancy, and it looks bleak.

8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I seriously doubt that "outsourcing" shortens our lives. :rolleyes:

Try not to get carried away.

9. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Oh me oh my! Let's all go out back, eat some worms, and die!

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Sounds like one of your hobbies.

To get back to the op, a comment on MP's post. Maybe over dramatized, but the United States is not the country of 30 years ago and back with electronics, appliance and many other types of factories. The textile industry is practically non existent. This country is missing a vital part of economic strenght without these jobs that make things.

Everyone working in the customer service industry is not a good balance, and the pay is hardly what the manufactoring jobs were, thus the decline of the middle class.

There is no reason we cannot get these jobs back with the right leadership.

11. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A good number of them in the automobile business have been "insourced" already...at reasonable wages instead of outrageous business destroying union wages.

12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

That is a very true statement. Toyota has a great balance between wages, profit, and morale of the workers without unions.

13. s8147817430

s8147817430 New Member

CAn you imagine the logistical nightmare?

And then certain people would never get elected. *S814 runs and hides*

14. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

It is not just the unions driving companies out. It is regulation and excessive taxes.

15. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    California provides a good example.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2004/02/24/BUGUN56L9L1.DTL

Jobs moving out of state
    Cost, complex regulations cited by firms

Sam Zuckerman, Chronicle Economics Writer
    Tuesday, February 24, 2004

EXCERPT

Discouraged by high costs and strict regulations, just under 60 percent of California business leaders interviewed for a new study said they have policies to restrict job growth in the state or move jobs to other locations in the United States.

SNIP

About 40 percent said their companies have an explicit policy to move jobs elsewhere in the United States, with Texas cited as the most frequent destination. Not counting those companies that must stay in California, such as retailers or health care providers, the proportion of businesses that said their policy is to move jobs rose to 55 percent.

16. Dagwood

Dagwood New Member

Excellent posting! :thumbs:

17. North Carolina Tentmaker

Nice little rant, but I am afraid that’s not true.

According to the US bureau of labor statistics there are several measures we can use to compare the United States to other countries. The best two are gross domestic product (GDP) per capita and per employed person.

According to the USBLS report comparing the United States to 15 other countries (Canada, Australia, Japan, Korea, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, and the United Kingdom) guess who comes in first in GDP per capita for 2006? No, it was not the United States, it was Norway. The United States was second. The United States has been first for 37 out of the last 46 years but has come in second to Norway nine times (1996-1998 and 2001-2006). So you are right MP, we don’t outproduce Norway. Of course we do outproduce those other 14 countries. I guess in your words those countries aren’t squat. For GDP per employed person the United States is on top every year but 3 going back 46 years (1960-2006). We actually came in second to Belgium in 95-97. I guess we just need to give up on the United States and all move to Norway. I wonder what their immigration policy is?

You can view the full report at:
    ftp://ftp.bls.gov/pub/special.requests/ForeignLabor/flsgdp.txt

As far as the life expectancy statement, I really don’t see how that relates to productivity unless you are figuring on longer careers. I found the United States Census bureau’s information from 2000 at:

http://geography.about.com/library/weekly/aa042000b.htm

According to their list of 190 countries (do you really want me to list them, go look at the report if you want to see them all) the United States came in 28th at 77.1 years. I guess we are just at odds again MP but 28th out of 190 is in the top 15%. I would not call that “way down the list.” At 77.1 years we are within 7 years (8%) of Andorra’s top rated 83.5 years and have a life expectancy 8 years longer than Cape Verde’s median of 68.9 years. To be honest, with our wealth comes many poor lifestyle habits including eating, drinking, and smoking too much. I am surprised we are not lower on the list.

18. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

If "everyone" wanted to go to the United States, why is there a problem with illegal immigration here in the UK? At least some folk want to come here, rather than the U.S.

19. North Carolina Tentmaker

Good point David, the problem of immigration is not limited to the US but is common in all countries where freedom and opportunity exist.

Of course the problem in the UK is a little different. For starters you don't need a fence. Also is not much or your immigration from nations that were at one point part of the commonwealth?

20. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I don't have the figures, but to judge by press reports I've heard recently, we seem to be getting more and more immigrants from Eastern Europe, some coming in "legally", others not.