1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Can someone WANT to be saved but not be?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, May 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winman

Winman Active Member

Oh yeah? What if a fellow stuck a gun in your face and demanded your wallet? Do you truly desire to be robbed?

I would give the guy my wallet to save my life, but I would not desire to give him my wallet it all. My greatest desire would be that a police officer would come along and catch this guy in the act of robbing me and arrest him.

2. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Actually, you are making a choice based on your available options, which is determined by your greatest desire. While you certainly would like to keep your wallet, your desire to preserve your life is greater. Thus, you choose your greatest desire.

3. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Not at all. Mercy is not a matter of boasting. Being wiser, or more righteous IS a matter of boasting. One is saying that God gave you something, based on nothing inherently better in you. The other is saying the opposite; that God is giving something to you that He did not give to others, because of a self induced status of greater _________ (intelligence, wisdom, righteousness, etc..whatever caused you to choose, when others did not).

4. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Yes you would desire to give the man your wallet if you gave him your wallet. You, in that moment, want to give that man your wallet more than any other option that's available to you. You only choices are: Die or give the man you wallet. Your desire to give the man your wallet is much greater than dying, so you give the man your wallet.

5. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Ah, I should have checked to see the other replies. :) well said and very true. we always choose our greatest desire at any given moment of the options available to us.

6. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Moral wickedness cannot be equated to mental illness.

Not an excuse. You are not excused from something, simply because you want to do it.

Not at all. You give man a free-will greater than God's, and a sovereignty that overrides His, and call MY view a "high view" of man? Funny.

7. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Winman, he virtually believes we are mere animals who react to stimuli. Like a lion offered a salad or a steak. He will always choose a steak because that is his greatest instinctive desire. Animals don't have the ability to discern between available options and choose among their desires. Animals don't make determinations, as a free moral agent would, but yet there are some, like HD, who reduce us to mere animals who do as we have been preprogrammed to do.

In his system the desire is the agent, not the person. The desires are set up as the determiner who makes the determinations. But in our system, WE, the PEOPLE are the determiners who choose from among our many desires and influential factors.

8. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

So WHY do you choose one option over the other?

9. Skandelon

No, but they can be compared and your view lines up directly under that comparison. A person born with a mental illness who commits a crime is declared 'not guilty' by reason of insanity. Why? Because he was born unable to do otherwise. The same is true of your dogma. Men are born unable to willingly do otherwise thus giving them the perfect excuse for their wrongdoings. Your view of man is much much too high.

I would be if I was drugged and made unable to willingly do otherwise. Again, that is ultimately what your view does. It has God punishing mankind for the sin of Adam by making them unable to willingly come to Christ and be reconciled even when God is supposedly genuinely inviting and appealing for them to come. With one hand God is making an appeal for reconciliation and with the other He is condemning them in blind unbelief by making them unable to be willing.

What is funny is that straw man. God's will is always greater than mans. In our view it is God's will that man be responsible (response-able) for his own choices. In HIS Sovereignty HE chose to allow for men to make free choices, so there is no OVERRIDING of God's will. You are assuming your premise and applying to our doctrine, which creates a false straw man fallacy....that is funny.

#49 Skandelon, May 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2012
  10. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

O.k., you are too all over the place, and I am too sleepy. I want to concentrate on this statement. You say that God's will is "greater than man's."

That being said, could you please define what you mean by "free will" in one sentence that I can respond to? Thanks.

11. Skandelon

What determined that I choose one option over another? I do.

You may not realize it but this question is the fallacy of "question begging" because you assume a deterministic response is necessary. We believe an actor determines an action. A chooser determines a choice. A determiner makes a determination. Thus, to answer WHY a determination is made presumes something besides the determiner makes the determinations.

This fallacy can be easily seen by simply asking you what determines God's determinations. I think your answer would be the same as mine. HE does. He is a free moral agent and makes his own determinations. Nothing determines his choices except HIM. Likewise, mankind, created in His Imagine, are free moral agents who have the ability of first cause choices, which is what separates us from the animals. That is why we are punished for our crimes and they are not.

12. Skandelon

Sure. I believe in contra-casual freedom..."A choice to act is free if it is an expression of an agent's categorical ability of the will to refrain or not refrain from the action (i.e., contra-causal freedom)."

:sleeping_2:

13. Winman

Winman Active Member

I most certainly would not desire to give him my wallet, and neither would you. You will do it to save your life, but in no way do you desire to give him your wallet.

If your view is correct, there would be no such thing as robbery. You could tell the judge, "Judge, I didn't rob this man, he wanted to give his wallet to me. He wanted to give his wallet to me more than anything else in the whole world!"

Try that out in court sometime and see if it works for you.

Another example of how Calvinistic thinking warps the brain.

14. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

you do desire to give him your wallet and it's evident by the fact that you gave him your wallet.
    Now, leave the childish comments out. We are discussing basic logic. You always choose that which you desire the most with the options that you have available to you. You have two choices when being robbed.

choice 1: keep you wallet and die
    choice 2: give him you wallet and live.

So yes, you desired to give him your wallet when the gun came to your head because your desire to live was much greater than to die. so in that sense, yes you did desire to give him your wallet more than any other option available to you at the time.

btw, you "anything else in the world" shows you didn't understand/read what I said. Which may be why you are not understanding what is being said. Nobody is saying that someone wanted to be robbed, but while the gun is pointed at their head, you desire to give him you wallet more than keep it.

Let's look at another example.

A parent sacrificed for their children. They may want the new TV, but they desire to have something for their children. So they put their money on the children instead of the new TV. they choose that which they desired most. In this case, their desire for their children was greater than the TV.

#54 jbh28, May 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2012
  15. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Yes, you do. And your choice was based on what you desired the most in the given situation with the options available to you at the time of the choice.

16. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Everyone wants the blessings- only the regenerate want the Blesser.

17. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

The regenerate HAS the Blesser. :jesus::godisgood::jesus::godisgood:

18. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Now to answer the OP's question, I say emphatically NO.

I love the last three stanza of the song, "Beside the Gospel Pool",

But whither can I go?
    There is no other pool
    Where streams of sovereign virtue flow
    To make a sinner whole.

Here then, from day to day,
    I’ll wait, and hope, and try;
    Can Jesus hear a sinner pray,
    Yet suffer him to die?

No: He is full of grace;
    He never will permit
    A soul, that fain would see His face,
    To perish at His feet.

19. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You missed the point.

The sinner who cannot receive the things of the Spirit of God, who "WILL NOT come to the light," whose imaginations of his heart is evil only continually, who "is not subject to the law of God neither indeed can be," who even his "plowing is wickedness", who even his RIGHTEOUSNESS is but filthy rags-
    HE DOES NOT WANT GOD AT ALL.

He hates everything about God.

This is EVERY SINGLE PERSON ON EARTH until the Spirit of God by the Word of God brings life to the dead spirit of such a sinner.

ALL sinners want the blessings of God- but only those made alive by the Spirit can ever WANT the Blesser.

20. Winman

Winman Active Member

Like I said, go rob someone and use this argument as your defense in court and see if it works.

And I am telling you I would not "desire" to give him my wallet at all, though I would give it to him.

Their greatest desire is a choice. They want both, but they reason the child's need is more important than having a new TV. Their greatest desire is determined by reason, not brute passion.

If I hand my wallet to the robber, it is not because I have this overwhelming desire to give him my wallet. I don't desire to give him my wallet at all. My desire is to keep my own wallet. But I reason that it would be wise to give the robber my wallet to preserve my life.

A person controlled by their desires would be nothing but an animal. A man would attack every beautiful woman he sees. You would steal whatever you desired, etc...

Go down your street and ask every neighbor if they desire to go to hell. Not one will tell you they desire this. The problem is their thoughts have been deceived by lies from Satan. They believe they are good enough as is to merit heaven.

It is like the old children's rhyme,

One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, all good children go to heaven.

Folks believe this stuff. They have been taught this lie since childhood. They are taught you have to earn heaven, to merit it. Try convincing a Roman Catholic that salvation is simply a free gift, they won't believe you. They have been taught by whom they trust the most you must merit heaven, their parents, and their church since they were born. They have been taught that as long as they don't commit serious sin they will be ok.

The reason these folks don't believe the gospel is not because they desire to go to hell, but rather because their minds have been blinded by falsehood.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.