1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can the non-Calvinists explain what is wrong with this question...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, May 19, 2011.

1. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

I am a calvinist who happens to believe that there are things that are directly caused/determined by God, His divine Will being exercised, and there are others thing that he permits/allows to happen/ His permissive Will...

Are you saying that you see God as being direct causer ALL things? Including Sin/Evil/Fall?

#61 JesusFan, May 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2011
  2. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Good luck figuring that one out! Quotes from Edwards might help, but I doubt it. :smilewinkgrin:

3. Skandelon

Now Aarony, you didn't answer my question, did you? :)

Oh, I'm sorry, I don't know why I would think you were ridiculing me by suggesting that to discuss these things with me further would be "casting pearls before swine." How silly of me. :rolleyes:

I don't care of his popularity either, I care about the argument he clearly lays out in his article to which you have continually ignored. I only quote him because he is known to be a respected Calvinist and you might have the decency to objectively consider his points while ignoring and patronizing mine...but, obviously not. At least you are as dismissive and rude to all brethren without discrimination. A fruit of the tree, no doubt.

What conclusion would that be exactly? That there are two wills of God (the title of the article)? That there may be a distinction in what God sovereignly decrees and what he finds pleasure in? Do you think he doesn't confirm that basic premise...you know the one you refuse to acknowledge?

Yet, they are destroyed, so according to your OWN conclusions regarding my statements: "You are still describing a desire (pleasure) of God's that remains unfulfilled."

Enough said. Thank you for finally showing the error of the question posed in the OP. You must distinguish between what God pleasures in and what he sovereignly determined regardless of whether you are a Calvinist or a non-Calvinist. Thank you for you contribution, your services are no longer needed. :)

4. Skandelon

That is blatantly false Fredrick. I did affirm in my very first reply that nothing can thwart God's sovereign unchanging decrees, but I correctly drew the distinction between those decrees and his desires/pleasures.

What is telling is that after all this time you either can't or won't acknowledge that clear distinction. Why?

5. JesusFan

maybe viewed as being one and the same?

6. Skandelon

Do you view God's desire (i.e. "do not lie") the same as His sovereign decree (i.e. "let there be light")? Is there not a difference in what God takes pleasure in and what might actually come to pass (i.e. the destruction of the wicked)? I don't see how any one can not see that simple distinction, regardless of where they land on the issue of soteriology.

7. JesusFan

You misunderstood me...

saying that the person that you are adressing with that questrion may see them as being same thing...

I hold that God has 2 Wills...
    Call them determined/decreed and allowed/permitted

Or even more basically

General/Specific!

8. Skandelon

No, I knew what you believed, I just asked so that you could clearly state if for them to read someone who is able to objectively see this clear distinction. Thank you.

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does God repredestine everything. If so, then Calvinists redefine "allow" to mean compel. Lets say a person has his heart hardened, such that he will only and alway choose to sin, and never seek God. Now does it reflect the actual meaning of the word "allow" to say God allows the person to sin, when in fact what is "allowed" is to pick and choose between various sins, all with the same outcome for the wages of sin is death. Does this condition pass the smell test for "allowing" someone to choose life or death? Nope.

10. JesusFan

Are you saying that God is not allowed to be able to complete the hardening process in someone already bent to disobey God, by their own willful choices, ala Pharoah?

people are persuade in their own hearts and monds to rebel against God, to sin and go against Him...

Does God compel or harden them, or is it just the "fruit" of the sin nature/flesh?

11. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I did not ask about all that stuff...

I asked a very simple question, which could be answered by most any Sunday school kiddo with a yes or no.

12. Skandelon

You are not fooling anyone, except maybe yourself brother. Defining what you mean when you speak of God's "DESIRE" is necessary (as Piper and Sproul both point out).

You asked, "Are you saying that if God desires something that a mere mortal human can stymie or otherwise cause His failure?

I pointed out that God doesn't desire the perishing of the wicked or for you to sin, yet those things happen. Did God fail in these cases?

How would the Sunday School kiddo answer that question, Fredrick? Yes or no?

13. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

God's overall plan can not, and will not, be thwarted. His overplan was to send His Son to die on the cross to pay the "sin debt" in full. He did just that. His overall plan includes the saving of those who put their trust in Him(those who choose to believe). He did just that. His overall plan also includes sending those who fail to believe(those who chose not to believe) to the lake of fire, to torment for eternity, and those who chose to believe, take home to Heaven to rejoice eternally.

God desires to see people saved, and I guess He also desires to see that sin should not, and will not, go unpunished. But, I can find no where in scripture, where He desires to presdestine anyone from "eternity pat" to an eternity in the lake of fire.

i am I AM's!!

Willis

#73 convicted1, May 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2011
  14. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Again, I did not ask all that stuff. You are welcome to keep trying, however. I suspect by now, that you are somewhat convicted by the nature of the question and where your personal theology is leading you. Especially since you are now arguing in another thread about the plain meaning of "every tongue confess..." Perhaps you would like to talk to God about some of your rebellion issues?

15. Skandelon

That is like me asking you if you still beat your wife, yes or no? And when you try to explain the fallacy of the question me responding, "I didn't ask all that stuff, just yes or no." You asked about God's desire, which can be seen from two distinct perspectives even from the Calvinistic perspective. Why is that so difficult for you to see?

By that reasoning so is Sproul and Piper I suppose? This is getting absurd.

What? Is this your effort to shift into a personal attack so you don't have to deal with the obvious deficiency of your own arguments?

16. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I have made no arguments in this thread... Just reiterated my question. You, in a sense, are arguing with yourself here.

17. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    *sigh* I said no pleasure, but no dissatisfaction, no disappointment, no unfulfilled desire.

Anyway this thread is dreadfully long, what with Skandy's tap dancing and all. See ya!

18. Skandelon

I'm referring to the arguments and off handed comments you have made here and in the original thread.

Just answer the question I've posed to you Fredrick. I think that it is revealing that I've answered your question with great clarity, but you have yet to respond to mine.

19. Skandelon

Oh, so now you want to draw a distinction between pleasure and desire? I'm fine with that. It would still prove my point regarding the original problem with Fredrick's question and his presumption that God's desires/pleasures/unchanging decrees are synonymous. Thanks for help him to see that!

And how can you suggest God is never disappointed with all the many passages where He expresses disappointment and anger? Just anthropomorphic language, uh? Even when they are direct quotes from God's own lips? Interesting.

I don't blame you for bowing out. It is quite clear you have no ground on which to stand.

20. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

That is intentional... Notice a pattern?