1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can this become our sin

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Servent, Sep 19, 2005.

1. buckster75

buckster75 Member

the construction site:

maybe a place to witness.

if any of them claim Christ.....

correct, rebuke, you know...

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

You can't control other peoples' actions. Sometimes simply leaving the situation is the best thing. Other times, simply leaving can be a bad witness. It really all depends on the situation. I'm not the kind of person who will ever leave a situation unless it's grossly abusive. I like to think that my own demeanor and how I handle myself in the presence of such will leave an impression on others, thus becoming a Christian witness in and of itself. Though, I've been known to occaisionally say "dude, you're hurting my ears" when someone is using excessive abusive language (I say it with a jovial and respectful attitude towards the other person). If it continues, at least it is known that I don't like it. But typically, the other person will tone their language out of respect for me. It's never been an issue where I've had to excuse myself.

3. buckster75

buckster75 Member

I agree with that. I was talking about when your are in (remote) control (TV). (with me now?)

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I'd say the same thing would apply. I have a few DVD's of good movies, and don't feel the need to "skip" through every g.d. or f. word. Likewise with broadcast tv.

Heck, if I skipped though every potentially questionable scene or reference in "The Godfather", I'd be stuck watching a 10 minute infomercial on the mob.

5. buckster75

buckster75 Member

keeping the original question in mind. so if I have control it is ok that I play these movies and listen to them. How far is litening to them willfully and "ridding" myself of these words.

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I know I'm going to sound like a broken record, but it really is a case by case issue. Indeed, if a movie is gratuitous is it use of, say, abusive wording, then I would avoid that movie.

I think this is a good arena to apply the word of Paul: Let each be convinced in his own mind. Barring the moral absolute, every person, I think, knows his/her limits. When your own limits are pressed, time to pop out the DVD, methinks.

7. buckster75

buckster75 Member

does it matter if your kids or grandkids are watching(listening)? what do you let them rent? PG? ,PG-13, ?

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Yes, it matters greatly. I have no problem watching "The Godfather". I would never let a 4yo see it.

9. buckster75

buckster75 Member

Maybe that's is my problem when it comes to some things and for me language is one of those. I want to exposed like you would the 4yo especially if it is self exposure.

10. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Would you keep watching it if the Lord were present?

11. bapmom

bapmom New Member

My kids watch G rated, and not all of those.

12. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

I haven't owned a tv for about 6 years now and I don't miss it a bit.I wish that I'd been more careful about what I let my children watch.Yes,I do believeit can become sin.

13. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

The same way that a pastor's wife leaving the pastor for another woman disqualifies that man from being a pastor in the eyes of too many. :eek: