1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Can unbelievers have spiritual gifts?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jedi Knight, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Under the New Covenant, believers are spiritually placed in Christ, then sealed in Christ with the Holy Spirit forever. As we grow more like Christ, following the leading of the Holy Spirit, we discern and learn spiritual meat. We exhibit the fruit of the Spirit. And all of this is restricted to born again believers.

However, under the Old Covenant, the Holy Spirit came upon individuals, and they exhibited spiritual gifts. But this relationship was not permanent, thus the Holy Spirit might withdraw from Saul and come upon David.

Scripture is clear that the next entity who will come upon the scene with be of Satan and he will exhibit "spiritual" gifts. We should stick with the teachings of Christ and His disciples, learning all He has commanded of us and making disciples of Christ. That is the greatest spiritual gift of all.

2. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I wouldn't waste my time posting if he didn't say it. I am from Houston and catch Him in the morning and in context it was exactly what he said.

3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, I don't doubt you at all.

However, i was just pointing out that my only source is your report, so I am only going on what you have said that he said. There are some around here who consistently accuse me of bashing more "conservative" Baptist figures, so I was just qualifying my answer in case something came out about the context in which this was uttered.

Strictly speaking, I disagree with him but I think I know what he was trying to get across - people who are not believers can be used of the Spirit to do mighty works. That's what the Matthew 7 passage I quoted earlier seems to indicate.