1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can Unequally Yoked refer to Different churches?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Yeshua1, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NOT saying that it has to, but can it be wrong to marry another beliver, but one holding to differing church/beliefs?

for examople, you are baptist, but financee is presby, and you would have to deal with differing views on baby baptism, theologu etc?

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, Billy Grahmn was Bap and his wife was Presy.
    Such a marriage can make things harder ....
    I remember our Methodist chapalian in Zweibruecken was married to SBC. When we had a baptism, the chaplain sprinked his older son, but immersed his younger son....

3. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    that is what my best friend might have to face, as he is baptist, married a reform, whose church does infant baptism!

To me, MOST important issue is that both have been saved, but after that, does seem to be easier if both are 'like minded" as to their faith/doctrines/practices!

4. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh yes. I'll use my first marriage as an example. I was/am Baptist and she was (and still is, I think) pentecostal. While that wasn't the main reason our marriage ended, it certainly didn't help. We had more than one go-round when it came to matters of church attendance and the like.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I assume you mean whether to attend a Pentecostal or Baptist church?
    did you attend separate churches, where did you attend while dating?

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

My wife was is a Baptist, and I was a PCA (Presbyterian Church of America). We have been married 37 years. I am not sure if that is enough time to prove it will work, but will let you know when it starts deteriorating. I becamse a Baptist two years after being married.

I will say this, the further apart the denominations are theologically, the bigger challange it is. Presbyterian and Baptist has proven not to be a big deal, but I can see where SDA, Pentecostal, C of C, or RCC would present many challanges.

7. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Towards the end we started attending separate churches. When we first got married we attended her church mostly (see below). After one particularly "emotional" service when the assistant pastor proclaimed "we're gonna have us a Holy Ghost fit," I stopped attending her church and even stopped going to church all together for a while, until I could find a good Baptist church to attend.

As for where we attended while dating, ours was a long distance dating relationship (not recommended, btw) so when I went to visit her, I went to her church and when she came to visit me, she attended mine. After we were married, I moved to her city (about 220 miles from where I had been living), and since I didn't know the "lay of the land," so to speak, I started attending her church while looking for one more to my liking.

We did have discussions about our differing views, and I thought we had worked everything out by agreeing to each attend the others church, so I thought we had the "bugs" worked out before we got married. Turns out we didn't, and that did lead to some rather (at times) intense and heated arguments.

At least this second time around I got it right. Made sure the woman I was dating was Baptist and we were on the same page before marriage.

#7 HeDied4U, Apr 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2013
  8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    when the lord brought my wife and i togther, I had recently come out of/from AoG church, and was attending Evangelical Free Church...

She was attending an independent pentacostal group...

What kept me going forward was knew the terminology/practice/doctrines of that church, having been in one for years...

We had some going arounds, but agreed to go to that church, and kept praying to the Lord, both of us did to have his will worked out, and within a few years, they had a bad church split, and we joined a local baptist church due to following some of our friends there!

now both attend and member local Baptist church, so can work out, but haveto major on what the 2 agree on, NOT the disagreements!

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    i think that conservative baptists/presby can work that out, IF baptists can see second coming issues as not major, as one would be pre mil, other A mil, but BIG problem would be how each viewed the role and act of water baptism!

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What really matters is not what the church believes but what the person believes. We attended (and my husband was an elder) of a PCUSA church yet we didn't believe in baptizing infants. But then again, this church didn't baptize infants as any sacrament but instead, it was similar to a dedication and they also then practiced believer's baptism when one was older. So it was fine for us.

But if one stood hard and fast on the rules of their church, feeling that everyone else is wrong, then there may be a problem.

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    key is that both of you agreed upon what water baptism was intended to represent!

but if say you held tot he baptsit view, and your husband the tradional presby view on it, could be some fireworks!

Or else, inafant baptized, and redone as a believing adult!