1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can we sin by the way we dress?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by PreachTREE, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

I think a lot of people are missing the real point. Standards of modesty cannot be applied to people who do not have the Holy Spirit leading their lives. The problem I have is the people in the church are now dressing the same way as the lost people outside the church. Aren't we commanded to, ". . . be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." (Romans 12:2).

There is a common practice in my church (and perhaps yours) that teenagers and now some s wear flip flops to church. It is not uncommon for these folks to leave their flip flops in the pew and walk around with bare feet. It drives me crazy.

My wife was asked to teach a class to our church women including teenagers, on modest dress. You can cover your body and still be dressed immodestly. Remember, worldliness is not an adjective, it is an attitude.

Men are visual creatures, women are not. That's how Satan uses ography to get men hooked. Notice the proliferation of men's magazines verses women's magazines.

There must be a balance and you can't get legalistic about dress. In my first church, women were required to wear a skirt or dress to all church functions including practice for church functions. For example, my wife sang in a women's quartet. She was required to wear a dress or skirt when they practiced together. Additionally, women were required to wear koolots when we played softball. Pretty silly.

There have been several times when I have been teaching (I teach more than I preach) that I had to avert my eyes from a woman. I don't believe many women intentionally dress to entice in the church, but they surely don't think about their dress. The thought of a woman that says she can dress any way she wants to and the sin is on the man who s after her has missed the mark. I agree she can't make a man look at her, but why tempt him knowing he is attracted by visual means? There's a heart problem there.

What is accepted in other cultures is not acceptable in the US. That doesn't mean we should participate in other cultures. The old addage, "When in Rome, do as the Romans." I was in Romania on a mission trip and visited the Black Sea. I would not go to the beach during the day. Why? beach. Not a good idea for me. It was accepted by the culture, but not by me so I wouldn't participate. My translater didn't really understand.

Modesty is an attitude. People should take responsibility for their dress and not place blame where it doesn't belong.