1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can Woman teach Sunday School

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Bob Colgan, Sep 25, 2004.

1. Sularis

Sularis Member

Nope that dont wrap it up - I havent finished nitpicking yet. [​IMG] :rolleyes:

I would like you to describe the role of a prophet

I would like you to clearly define: church

I want you to clearly state the Eunice and Lois - did not teach Timothy a lick of biblical principle or scripture after he turned adult in Jewish eyes which if I recall is 13 - however he being a halfbreed and uncircumised - because of his until then unbelieving father

but two verses

hrm Deborah and well lessee Lydia

wow I got two women leading house and nation - which made up the church in their area for a time

does that mean yer wrong or is it whoever finds the third verse wins? [​IMG]

Larry - you should know by know that if another verse opposes you - that you have to incorporate it into your viewpoint - it may mean softening yer stance - but hey I still dont like women pastors - nuttin but problems - but women Sunday School teachers - nuttin but good things - although the women tend not to volunteer that often - unless they're married

However since its been wow almost 15-20 hours of conciousness - i lose hours now and then - plus im trying to get this computer up to snuff Bible wise - Im heading off - but trust me I have more nitpicking I can do. :rolleyes:

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I agree ... always have. But I have yet to see any verses that demand opposition. Everything so far fits right into what Paul said in 1 Tim 2. Deborah was in OT Israel, not in the church which is the subject of 1 Tim 2. I am not sure why you would refer to Lydia.

I agree that women teachers are very good for women's classes. But the Bible expressly says what it says, it gives no clear (or even suggestive) indication of anything else. Why not stick with that? Let men teach men and women teach women.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

If a church WANTS TO DO THAT, they're scripturally allowed to. However, if a church DOESN'T DO THAT, they're not scripturally forbidden from not doing that, either.

4. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

But women are forbidden to teach men in the church.

5. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

But women are forbidden to teach men in the church. </font>[/QUOTE]You are correct, women are forbidden from teaching men; however, in today's modern church the Scripture often takes a back seat to what is politically correct.

6. Craigbythesea

There must be some typographical errors in this message :confused: ! Read as it does, it says Terry agrees with me. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

7. Sularis

Sularis Member

Because you are defining Sunday school as church and it is not

OT/NT the gender roles didnt miraculously change the verse still applies Larry

I guess those prophetesses just danced around and looked pretty?

8. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

If a church WANTS TO DO THAT, they're scripturally allowed to. However, if a church DOESN'T DO THAT, they're not scripturally forbidden from not doing that, either. </font>[/QUOTE]Yes they are. The Scripture say so.

9. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

SS is a part of church in every church I know about. "Church" is not some service that meets in the big room. Church is the body of believers.

No, but the command of God in 1 Tim 2 is clear and it is given to the church. We need to follow the explicit teaching of Scripture, no matter how politically incorrect it might be.

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Can anyone show us in the early church where they had Sunday School? I see none.

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Robert Raikes founded what we think of as "Sunday School" in 1780. The idea that the church didn't "educate" prior to that is untrue. Education (called "discipleship") is foundational to the Great Commission!

Churches formalized education, but is still a "church" function. As a "church" function, the leadership of the church should follow the biblical injunctions.

12. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

There must be some typographical errors in this message :confused: ! Read as it does, it says Terry agrees with me. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]On this issue I agree completely with what you are saying.

Even a broken clock is correct twice a day. :D

13. Craigbythesea

14. Sularis

Sularis Member

So you define church as a body of believers greater in number then 1 - be it 2 or more

Good definition - but we have a problem folks

them female missionaries - them female prophetesses - and that Deborah - cause any one who says its OT it doesnt count should be stripped and beaten

Unless you can tell me they (OT folks) were saved without Jesus (which is a filthy dirty lie)

then women have a authoritative role within the body of Christ - and not just over other women.

And to those who say the concept of Sunday school was prevalent in the church - prove it!

I believe they tended to have one service - and left the educating of the kids up to the mothers at home. The concept of Sunday school was not only to give the youths something to do - but it was also form of training for the those in the church who might not have had an avenue for their gifts.

15. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

So long as they do not have authority over men there is no problem. There is no NT indication that "prophetesses" ever had authority over men. Given teh NT revelation we do have, we would have to say that they did not, since God does not call people to disobey him.

And anyone who doesn't understand that the Church is a NT organism different from anything in the OT needs to study the Bible. These things are not similar and cannot be made to be similar.

You haven't shown one place where this is true. Deborah has no role in teh body of Christ whatsoever. There is no indication of a woman ever having authority in the body of Christ over men.

SS and small groups are modern innovations to carry out the NT mandate of hte church. They both serve vital roles in the church.

16. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Nope, they ain't.

17. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree. Just take a look at Acts 2:42, "They were continually devoting themselves to the apostles' teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer."

18. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope, they ain't. </font>[/QUOTE]John - think the implication is that "teaching" men is de facto "having authority over" men and fits the biblical injunction.

It is a good point of discussion whether these truly ARE the same. I personally do not believe they are.

19. Craigbythesea

No, this is not a de facto agument.

1 Tim. 2:12. But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet. (NASB, 1995)

[​IMG]

20. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I've posted this a few times now, but it clearly bears repeating:

To understand this verse in teh context it was written, we must look at the Greek. Gunh and Anhr are the words in koine Greek for "wife" and "husband" respectively (not "man" and "woman" in general), and being guided in this verse by the passage which is its wider context, we can see that this context is referring to a home-marriage-family situation, not a church context. Paul is saying that he does not allow a wife to exercise authenteo over a husband in the marriage relationship (authenteo = control in a domineering manner).

This verse has to do with the marital relationship. It was not intended to refer to all men and women in a church setting.