1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can you be a Christian AND (insert sin here)

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by James_Newman, May 25, 2007.

1. Accountable

Accountable New Member

Very, very good question! Thank you for the opportunity to share with you!

This could take a while for remember we are to study to shew thyself approved but we could start with the basics.

Let's start at the beginning. Why are we here?

In the beginning, God put Lucifer as ruler with authority reigning the Earth. Lucifer wanted more. (Isaiah 14) Because of his sinful desire for total dominion over the Universe, he disqualified himself from ruling and reigning. God then, during the restoration of the Earth, mad man and told him to have dominion. Man was made to replace Lucifer as having dominion on the earth. Satan didn't want to reliquish his crown so he brought about a circumstance in which Adam also became disqualified to rule. Satan now strill reigns as Prince of the Earth.

To make a long story short, Christ came and died that we may be saved and then qualify to rule and reign with Him. One day HE will tae the crown from Satan and Christ will rule with his bride.

REMEMBER!!! What is the gift of God? A mansion, a crown, a harp, and a robe of white? NO The Bible says the Gift of God is Eternal Life! This is the gift. Ruling, reigning, (entrance into the Kingdom) are rewards and not gifts. We must do the will of the Father for Rewards, they are not a gift.

What is the will of the Father? They are many aspects here but I will choose to start with Romans 12:1 and 2. We are to present our bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

You see.... this verse brings many things to the surface.

I don't want to bog you down wo=ith too much at one time.

I will answer further according to your next blog.

Thank you.

2. Accountable

Accountable New Member

3. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Basically that is what the entirety of the NT is all about. It is showing us what the will of God is and how we are to conduct ourselves as children of God, so that we can one day be adopted as sons of God.

4. His Blood Spoke My Name

I have already been adopted by the Father, I don't have to wait.

5. Accountable

Accountable New Member

Scripture?

6. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. (Romans 8:15)

To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons. And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father. (Galatians 4:5-6)

Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved. (Ephesians 1:5-6)

The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God
    : And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together. (Romans 8:16-17)

Looks like adoption is a "done deal" at salvation.

#66 Linda64, May 31, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2007
  7. His Blood Spoke My Name

Try Galatians 4:6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.

We, who are in Christ, are sons... the adoption has already taken place.

8. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Looks like we have a bit of a problem, because Romans 8:23 speaks of "waiting" for the adoption. And Galatians 4:5 speaks of the possibility of adoption.

And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.

To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.

9. His Blood Spoke My Name

Romans 8:23 is not speaking of the adoption of the soul... that has already taken place at the time of Salvation. Romans 8:23 is speaking of the redemption of our bodies is speaking of the future when our bodies shall rise from the grave or shall rise after the dead in Christ rise first.

It is talking about the resurrection.

Romans 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. Are... present tense.

1 John 3:2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. Are... present tense.

Those who were not, but now are sons of God have been adopted into His family.

#69 His Blood Spoke My Name, May 31, 2007
  10. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Actually James declares that to be a false statement.

1:21 - Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.

Are souls are not saved when we believe on the Substitutionary death and shed blood of Jesus Christ, the Lamb of God, on our behalf a sinner.

11. His Blood Spoke My Name

When we believe, when we place our trust in Jesus Christ, we are saved. And because we are saved, John declares us to be the sons of God. We have been adopted into His family.

12. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

John is not speaking about status within the family, but is saying that we are - present - in the family. Adoption as firstborn sons is talking about a position of status within the family.

These are not talking about the same thing. The NASB says now we are the children of God, which is more theologically accurate, but sons is okay if it is understood what the context is.

13. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Spiritually saved that is 100% correct.

See post above. We are sons in the way of being part of the family, not adopted into the family. Being a part of the family and being adopted are not the same thing. Adoption can only happen to family members.

Adoption is not taking one outside of the family and making them a part of the family, although that is the way the term is used today. That's not the way the term was used when translated. And theologically it is not what is being spoken of.

14. His Blood Spoke My Name

Hellooooo...

The Gentiles were adopted. Those who were not sons were made sons.

If they are family members, there is no need for adoption.

15. His Blood Spoke My Name

Adoption

ADOPTION Is an act by which a person takes a stranger into his family, acknowledges him for his child, and constitutes him heir of his estate. Jacob's adoption of his two grandsons, Ephraim and Manasseh, Ge 48:5, was a kind of substitution, whereby he intended that these his grandson should have each his lot in Israel, as if they had been his own sons: "Ephraim and Manasseh are mine; as Reuben and Simeon, they shall be mine." As he give no inheritance to their father Joseph, the effect of this adoption was simply the doubling of their inheritance. But Scripture afford instances of another kind of adoption-that of a father having a daughter only, and adopting her children. Thus, 1Ch 2:21, Machir, grandson of Joseph, and father of Gilead, Nu 26:29, gave his daughter to Hezron, "who took her; and was a son of sixty years," sixty years of age, "and she bare hi Segub; and Segub begat Jair, who had twenty-three cities in the land of Gilead," Jos 13:30; 1Ki 4:13. However, as well he as his posterity, instead of being reckoned to the family of Judah, as they would have been by their paternal descent from Hezron, is reckoned as sons of Machir, the father of Gilead. Nay, more, it appears, Nu 32:41, that this Jair, who was in fact the son of Segub, the son of Segub, the son of Hezron, the son of Judah, is expressly called "Jair, the son of Manasseh," because his maternal great-grandfather was Machir to the son of Manasseh. In like manner we read that Mordecai adopted Esther, his niece; he took her to himself to be a daughter, Es 2:7. So the daughter of Pharaoh adopted Moses; and he became her son, Ex 2:10. So we read, Ru 4:17, that Naomi had a son-a son is born to Naomi; when indeed it was the son of Ruth.
    At the present day, adoption is not uncommon in the East, where it is made before a public officer with legal forms.
    In the New Testament, adoption denotes that act of God's free grace by which, on being justified through faith, we are received into the family of God, and made heirs of the inheritance of heaven. It is "in Christ," and through his atoning merits, that believers "receive the adoption of sons," Ga 4:4-5. Some of the privileges of this state are, deliverance from a fearful and servile spirit; the special love and care of our heavenly Father; conformity to his image; a filial confidence in him; free access to him at all times; the witness of the Holy Spirit, whereby we cry, "Abba, Father;" and the title to our heavenly home,
    Ro 8:14-17; Eph 1:4-5.
    American Tract Society Dictionary

16. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Actually quite the opposite. Again adoption is son-placement. It is placing a child into a position within the family. It's not talking about taking someone outside of the family and placing them in the family. Again that is the way the term is used today, but that is not the way the term was originally intended.

English words have changed meanings over time, unfortunately at it has led to some great confusion when Scripture is concerned. But that should come as no surprise since we have an active enemy that wants to challenge God at every turn.

17. Accountable

Accountable New Member

You are mixing two different actions together as one. There is a distinct difference in being "born from above" and being adopted.

18. Accountable

Accountable New Member

There is not enough room debate the whole issue now but I will responed to part of your blog. If needed I am willing to adress the others if needed later. I have a busy schedule today!!!

Anyway Galatians 4:5-6 say "that we might recieve the adoption" This is not assured. The writter of Galatians was a believer and he included himself in the verse. "That we might"

It is conditional.

19. Accountable

Accountable New Member

This is correct.

A good example would be the judgement that fell upon the children od Jacob in Genisis 49 to gain a greater understanding of this in principle.

20. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Way of Life Encyclopedia
    ADOPTION

The N.T. word means placed into a family as a son. It refers to a rich man choosing an orphan and making him a legal son and heir with the full privileges of such. This word is used to describe salvation in Christ (Ro 8:15,23; Ga 4:5; Eph 1:5).

You are making a simple truth into a complex lie. The meaning of adoption has never changed.

#80 Linda64, May 31, 2007