1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can you be a Christian and not believe in the bible?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Rachel, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Rachel

Rachel New Member

I'm sure this has been covered before but I am wondering what y'all think about this.

Can you be a Christian and not believe the bible is God's Holy Word?? I seem to run across people alot now that believe they are a Christian that believe the bible is just a book of stories by men only, not God. They say they refuse to live by what it says because they believe it's just myth.
    I am wondering why they believe in God the Father or His son Jesus if they don't believe in the bible? Maybe they don't and are just generalizing 'God' to mean whatever they want God to be, making Him into their own 'god'.

I also wonder why most people believe in their 'good works' getting them into Heaven, without them needing a Savior. I used to believe that too. Why is that?? It seems that most people automatically think by 'being a good' person most of the time gets them into Heaven.
    Where does this come from, satan deceiving everyone?

This is so frustrating for me to come across people that believe these things. I try to share the Truth of God with them and hope and pray that the Holy Spirit works in their heart. I guess that's all I can do?

Rachel

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

The bible is the source of our information about God and sin and our need of Jesus as Savior. The bible is God's written word to us. I don't see how anyone can be a christian and not believe the bible is true.
    Yes, it comes from satan, and these peoples belief they are christians is from satan.

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I would answer NO because the Bible was inspired by the Holy Spirit and Jesus said....

Matt 12:32 Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.

4. Rachel

Rachel New Member

I know the bible was written by the Holy Spirit but penned by men. That it's our source of info about God, sin, and our need for Jesus our Savior. The terrible thing is when I try to share scripture's with these people, even Jesus' own words, they won't hear of it. They don't believe any of the bible or that God wrote it, so any scripture's I show them means nothing to them! Isn't that strange?! Satan is very good at deception!!

Besides that I show them how historically accurate, scientifically accurate, archaelogicly accurate the bible is.

Is there any other way to show them the Truth?? I would love to know. What do y'all do with people like this?

Rachel

5. Rachel

Rachel New Member

I don't think it would be so bad if they realized they aren't Christian's, then maybe they would be more open. I do my best to share that we all sinners and need a Savior to forgive us of our sins. It just makes me so frustrated and angry and sad at times though! :mad: [​IMG]

Rachel

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

They only way any of us know the truth is that the Truth revealed Himself to us. Without the Holy Spirit revealing the truth of scripture and who Jesus is none of us can believe it. What they need more then anything is prayer. And that is what you can do for them.

7. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Rachel;
    I suggest something different.
    The Law of God is what brings men to Christ.
    With that in mind, you may try leading the discussion to how they personally have violated God's Law.
    For example, you may ask them if they have ever lied, even a tiny white lie.
    Then ask them if they have ever stolen anything, no matter how small or insignificant.
    Then you may show them the absolute Holiness God requires. This may lead them to understand that they stand condemned before a Thrice Holy God and in need of a Savior.
    You need not worry if they believe the Bible is God's words or not. The Bible says they have a knowledge of God given to them by God himself. All you need do is get them to see they are short of The Standard of Holiness God requires.
    The rest should be easier for you after you have gotten to this point.
    BTW, forget proving the Bible. God will take care of that. He promised, The Holy Spirit will convict the world of sin, righteousness and judgement. That is God's job.
    Your job is to show them they have failed to keep the law perfectly, they need Jesus and the rest is easy.
    I hope this helps.
    In His service;
    Jim

8. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Rachel, ask these people how they know about Jesus (or how anyone knows about Him) if they don't believe the Bible.

9. michelle

michelle New Member

--------------------------------------------------
    I know the bible was written by the Holy Spirit but penned by men. That it's our source of info about God, sin, and our need for Jesus our Savior. The terrible thing is when I try to share scripture's with these people, even Jesus' own words, they won't hear of it. They don't believe any of the bible or that God wrote it, so any scripture's I show them means nothing to them! Isn't that strange?! Satan is very good at deception!!

Besides that I show them how historically accurate, scientifically accurate, archaelogicly accurate the bible is.

Is there any other way to show them the Truth?? I would love to know. What do y'all do with people like this?
    --------------------------------------------------

THE ONLY reliable truth in this world, and the ONLY thing that will convict their heart of God's truth to salvation is through HIS word. There is NO OTHER WAY. God has said this:

Hebrews 4

10. For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.
    11. Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.
    12. For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

There are many things that can soften a persons heart, but the ONLY THING that will CONVICT their heart is God's word, whether by reading it, or hearing it, as the scriptures also say this:

Romans 10

14. How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
    15. And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
    16. But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?
    17. So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
    18. But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world.

Remember, they may not like to hear it, and may reject it, but God has also said this:

Isaiah 55

10. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater:
    11. So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

and....

Luke 8

11. Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.
    12. Those by the way side are they that hear; then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved.
    13. They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away.
    14. And that which fell among thorns are they, which, when they have heard, go forth, and are choked with cares and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to perfection.
    15. But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.

Never stop sharing the word of truth with them, even though they do not like it. This is why christians have always suffered persecution. It is what we will suffer in this life, as we are not greater than our Lord. They persecuted him, they shall also persecute us, if we are truly in him. Also remember to continually keep them in your prayers.

love in Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour,
    michelle

10. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Thanks everyone, that helps alot. [​IMG]

Michelle, I am glad you mentioned Isaiah 55:10-11. I had forgotten where that verse was that God said His Word wouldn't return void. I marked it in my bible in case I forget again. ;)

Rachel

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Interesting. I would surmise that, hindsight being 20/20, that being a Christian requires a belief that scripture is God's inspired Word. You use the term "holy", and rightly so, but that can be a broad term, so when referring to scripture, we need to make sure we're not adding to scripture by adding to word meanings.

Anyway, I'm getting off track. Here's a sidequestion: There are several people on this board who became Christians before they had every cracked opne a Bible. Were they still Christians, even though they had not yet come to the understanding of what scripture is? Of course.

Also, we need to be careful when using terms like "believing in the Bible". For example, a person who says women cannot wear pants, and pull out scripture to prove it, will say that those who don't believe women can't wear pants don't believe in the Bible. This is often the case when discussing topics like creation/evolution, the sabbath day/saturday, headcoverings, wine consumption, etc.

12. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

When I became a Christian the very first thing I did was go buy a Bible.

13. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

Why would anyone want to be a Christian and not find out as much as they can about Christ by reading the Bible?

People who want to know about their past have no trouble using books on geneology. It just makes sense to me that if you want to know about your heritage as a Christian you would use a Bible.

14. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Some points re the OP:-

1. First, being a Christian is about a relationship with God through Christ. Therefore, understanding something of Who Jesus is - the Incarnation - and what His mission was - the Gospel - is important.

2. The supreme revelation of Who Jesus is is found in Scripture, wherein the Incarnate Christ is described. Therefore, a basic understanding of Scripture is also important

3. BUT some people (a) have no access to a Bible (b) cannot read one even they have one or (c) due to learning difficulties cannot understand Scripture even if it is read to them. Therefore, the Gospel and the Incarnation need to be communicated to them in some other way that they can understand

Yours in Christ

Matt

15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just plant the seed or expand upon it as the Spirit leads and leave the rest of it to God.

1 Corinthians 3
    6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.
    7 So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.

HankD

16. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God. A person may not even BELIEVE it IS the Word of God, but that does not stop of the wooing of the Holy Spirit through the Word.

My lack of faith is not an obstacle for God! He GIVES faith to believe.

17. Link

Link New Member

I would say 'yes' but qualify it that someone has to believe certain Biblical doctrines to be saved.

We are not saved by believing the words froma creed that say that the bible is the word of God. We are saved by grace through faith in Jesus Christ. Salvation does not come by professing a fundamentalist stance toward scripture, rather than a neo-orthodox one, etc.

In the first century, most Christians who believed the Gospel message would not have read the entire New Testament caon. They would have read or heard bits and pieces of it, and they would have heard the message contained in those books verbally from apostles and others associated with them.

In the second century, there were different ideas about what books should have been included in the canon. If a believer during this time wasn't sure about Revelation or had never heard of a book in our canon, that doesn't mean he wasn't a believer. If he was forgiven through faith in Christ, how can we judge him for not fitting our anachronistic definition of a Fundamentalist Christian?

There are also plenty of Christians overseas who have never had a chance to read the whole Bible, but they can still be saved by faith in Christ. Some Christians are from illiterate cultures and aren't sure exactly what a book is when they put their faith in Christ.

We should keep these things in mind when dealing with liberals. It is not a good thing to be a liberal in ones view to scripture, but the Bible doesn't say that if someone has some wrong (even harmful) ideas, that he is going automatically to hell.

18. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. You have no basis for your faith without the Word of God.

19. rufus

rufus New Member

Can you be a Christian and not believe the bible is God's Holy Word??

Nope, you can't!

It is by God Word that we hear and faith to believe comes! See Romans 10

Rufus

20. corinne

corinne New Member

I completely agree.

Corinne