1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Can you be MORE than a church?"

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by 12strings, Nov 21, 2011.

1. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I saw this on a Billboard:

"More than a Church, We're a Community!"

Very Sad, It should say, "More than a Community, We're a CHURCH!"

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I can hear it now.

Cum bah yah.

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It's part of the ecclesiological disambiguation that is en vogue in much of modern evangelicalism. It is sad because it misunderstands the doctrine of the church and the nature of community.

But that's okay for them because they want to be as cool as possible and attract others with their hipster antagonism for status quo or traditional theological expression.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Sounds like some of the advertising OUR church has been doing - and that I am not happy about. Fortunately, whatever is done for our campus goes through my husband and myself so we've been able to change it to be more Biblical and actually mention God. :(

5. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I'm going to translate the following for us normal folks (my comments inserted and bolded)

...there, that should make things crystal clear! :)

6. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

That looked like the closest thing yet to "baptist" tongues with interpretation here on the BB!

7. mandym

mandym New Member

While the theology in the billboard is wrong, it certainly addresses a public perception rather than the doctrine of the church. There is most likely a better way to do this.

8. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I'm old and out of touch with modern ecclesiological thought. So, when I hear somebody talking about "community," I react "ah, another of those religious buzzwords."

My own congregation is a loving group of believers. But if you told some of our members we practiced "community," you'd probably get a blank stare.

9. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Whew! You all are a tough crowd!! :laugh:

Theres nothing wrong with that sign at all. :thumbs:

We all know that some churches are kinda cold. Not terrifically friendly to strangers who show up.

This church appears to be simply trying to say "WE WELCOME YOU"! Join the family!

Lighten up, Francis! :wavey:

#9 Alive in Christ, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2011
  10. mandym

mandym New Member

But you should not just do it any old way. It needs to be well thought out and correctly represent what a church is.

11. Alive in Christ

But everyone knows what a church is. Every one knows what goes on in a church.

Praying
    Singing
    worship
    prayer requests
    financial giving
    preaching
    bible study

etc etc.

Most lost people even pretty much know what goes on.

It just looks like nothing more than a WARM INVITATION to me.

12. mandym

mandym New Member

Apparently you don't even know what a church is. the church is the body not the building. I agree that is their intent but it was done with bad theology.

13. Alive in Christ

Good grief....

:tonofbricks:

:laugh:

14. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

We must have some clairvoyants here on the BB. It would surely take one to judge this church simply by what is posted on this one billboard. Now, it could be that this church does fall under some of the condemnation mentioned here, but I would think one should at least visit the congregation before passing such judgment.

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tom LOL, Brother think your trying to say "Kumbaya":laugh:

Least you aint boring!!!:smilewinkgrin:

16. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Thanks for the right spelling. I'm an old fogey about touchy-feely stuff. When I read the OP, I immediately visualized the congregation, arms linked, swaying back and forth, looking skyward, singing kumbaya.

Maybe somebody can define community. Does their church also have a grocery store, movie theater, a McDonalds, you know, that kind of stuff?

I'm also wondering if their church name shouldn't include Something-Pointe.
    Modern churches, even some Baptistic churches, are named Northpointe, Southpointe, Crosspointe, etc.

It wouldn't surprise me if at some point Something-Pointe Community Fellowship Church dropped Baptist from their name.

Sorry, I'm being a grinch. I'm sure that "faith community" has good motivation to impact their community for Christ, and I'm just out of touch with modern church marketing strategies..

17. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I think the biggest problem I have is not that the church put that up. It is not that surprising. I simply think it is a symptom of a larger issue of people in general no knowing what a church is there for. It seems that for many, the highest goal is to belong someplace; which is one of the great benefits of a church family, but is not it's main purpose, which is to Give glory to God by pointing people toward his son.

It seems the equivalent of saying, "more than a church, we're a place to hang out...a country club...a group of friends" ...All of which are not in any way MORE than a church, but something LESS.

I tend to be of the opinion that in a relativistic world, the opposite approach might actually work better, to actually give people a purpose for that community.

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    WOW.... you just summed up everything I think is wrong with theme....they are "Belonging Systems" rather than pointing to Christ. I resolve not to do that but to take seriously the Great Commission. Therefore I will be at the places where the poor & disinfranchised congregate & most of them are of Catholic faith, I will be in apostate churches teaching the true gospel etc. Thats where the rubber meets the road & then I will start a group of people looking for God but not finding it in the snooze places. :sleep:

19. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Can you clarify two things?

1. Where are these apostate churches that preach the true Gospel? I thought the defnition of apostate was NOT teaching the true Gospel?

2. I don't understand the last bolded line at all.

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I wouldnt think you would.

In NJ (where I live) the landscape is full of apostate churches. I have a Methodist Club down town that dominates & the Catholic Church (where I grew up). I will go into both, worship with them where I can & go to their bible studies & ask a ton of uncomfortable questions. I will also go to their soup kitchens & shelters & minister to the down trodden. In that way I will put myself in a position to have spiritual discussion with this type of person who doesnt know or understand Gods saving grace.

#20 Earth Wind and Fire, Nov 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2011