1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can you name all the U.S. Presidents?

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Ps104_33, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

2. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you name all the U.S. Presidents?

Yes, but I'm not sure many of them would appreciate the names I would name them.

3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :applause: I liked that! I missed 6.

I didn't cheat.....I just took the test cold. I couldn't remember Fillmore, Buchanan, Hayes, Hoover, and two more that I can't even remember right now! :laugh:

But it absolutely doesn't count if you look at a list of presidents before taking the test. No cheating!

Aw.....rats, if you read my post, then I just gave you four. :BangHead:

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I got 'em all with 5:46 remaining. It took me probably 2 minutes to remember Taylor, though.

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I drew a blank on #12. I knew #15, but I could not get it spelled right, so technically I missed that one, too. But from #16 onward there no difficulty at all.

6. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Had a little trouble entering VanBuren.

Most of my problems had more to do w/ fat-fingering the president's name! :laugh:

An even greater challenge would be to name all of the Vice Presidents!!! :thumbs:

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I do know 'em all under the Constitution, but the format won't allow me to enter it when I get to a certain stage in naming them. It stopped this time at President Hoover, with some 7 minutes left. Last time it was President Pierce. I tried it twice. I'm wasting no more time on it.

Ed

8. Bob Farnaby

Bob Farnaby Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, I got 34 out of the 43 .. missed on two because i couldn't spell them!

not too bad for an Australian...

Next .. Name our Prime Ministers since Federation without looking them up ;)

Regards
    Bob

9. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Got 'em all with 7:55 remaining. Not bad for a Limey!

10. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

#10 Lacy Evans, Jul 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2007
  11. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm ashamed to say that I missed like 7 or 8 of them. They just slipped my mind. Arthur was the hardest one to remember. What did he do?

I will go and brush up and then give this to my kids...

12. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Vice President Chester Alan Arthur (son of a Baptist preacher) was elevated to the office of POTUS upon the death of James A. Garfield--who was assassinated on July 2, 1881, but didn't die until September 19, 1881.

He was perhaps best known for his support of Civil Service reform which eventually resulted in his signing into law the Pendleton Civil Service Reform Act of 1883.

His administration also saw some of the very first post-Civil War era immigration legislation become federal law.

Few would have expected Arthur to turn out to be the reformer that he became. Up until the 1880 presidential election, Arthur had been viewed more as a pawn in the hands of the corruption-riddled NY state GOP machine that was managed by political boss Roscoe Conkling.

13. rbell

rbell Active Member

14. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

John Tyler was the Tyler of the famous 1840 Presidential campaign slogan, "Tippecanoe and Tyler too."

When the Whig Party's candidate, William Henry Harrison ["Old Tippecanoe"], won that election, Tyler was in line to become Vice President.

However, as it turned out, Tyler would only be Vice President for about a month.

At Harrison's inauguration in March, 1841, Harrison caught pneumonia as a result of his standing out in the inclement DC as he delivered his lengthy inauguration address. About a month later, the aged Harrison died as a result of his illness, and thus John Tyler took over the reins.

Tyler was both the 10th VPOTUS & POTUS and the 1st to succeed a President w/out being elected to that office.

Some refered to him as "His Accidency"; others questioned whether, in fact, he was truly President due to the imprecise wording of Article II of the Constitution as it then stood (something clarified by the 25th Amendment).

I find it interesting to note that as President, Tyler's first official act was to proclaim a National Day of Fasting and Prayer. Part of this presidential proclamation reads thusly:

"When a Christian people feel themselves to be overtaken by a great public calamity, it becomes them to humble themselves under the dispensation of Divine Providence, to recognize His righteous government over the children of men...and to supplicate His merciful protection for the future."

What was good advice for the USA back then is still good advice for the USA today!
    (II Chronicles 7:14)

15. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I missed three, Van Buren, Hayes and Arthur, and couldnt spell Coolidge.

16. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wrong. Pneumonia results from bacteria-- or sometimes viruses-- entering the sacs of the lungs. Microbes thrive more in warm and dry surrounding atmosphere than a cold adn wet one. I Timothy 4 condemns furthering "fables and old wives' tales."

17. billwald

billwald New Member

I can't name all my grandkids.

18. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Please forgive my error in ascribing Harrison's death solely to that of pneumonia.

Strictly speaking, Harrison's death might best be primarily attributed to the "cold" that he caught on that inauguration day.

Later on, however, said "cold" did develop into pneumonia.

As best as my limited knowledge of medical science [either the 1841 or the 2007 version!] may be, I certainly have no desire to face the bema seat judgment having to contend with the prospect of being condemned of "furthering 'fables and old wives' tales"!!

19. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Well I can name them all with 9:32 remaining, but because I could not seem to remember how to spell Cleveland correctly my time was 2:24.

Didn't any of you learn the Presidents song in grade/middle school? The one that is sung with President's last names to the tune of the 10 little indians? I don't know what teacher originally thought of the idea, but I will always give thanks that I had Mr. Guy King as a history teacher, (7th grade if I remember correctly). Wouldn't you know I actually sang that song in my head quite a few times during some of my college exams when I would draw a blank on the President's name I was trying to remember. I have already taught it to my son. Best learning tool ever in my book.

20. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I didn't even try, I don't like being shown dumb. But my daughter has this leap frog or something like that that she not only learned all the presidents but all the states, their capitols, and state flora and fauna, and some facts about the solar system. A real cool tool. i think it does anatomy also.