1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cancer and my computer?

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by I Am Blessed 24, Mar 24, 2005.

1. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Fortunately, you don't have to be a doctor or clinician to help with cancer research.

The University of Oxford and the National Foundation for Cancer Research have created a supercomputer. It's actually a virtual supercomputer and they need your help.

You can connect to the supercomputer's grid and donate your computer's unused resources. You simply download a small program. Then, the
    program runs in the background studying molecules for a cure.

It's a great way to put your computer to very good use.

TO VISIT THIS SITE, GO HERE:
    http://www.grid.org/projects/cancer/

Can someone please explain to me what this is all about? :confused:

2. MargoWriter

MargoWriter New Member

Excuse me? No dowlaoded program is gonig to run in the background on MY computer without me knowing exactly what its doing and why. :eek:

3. I Am Blessed 24

That's why I wanted someone to explain it to me.

If you clicked on the link, it explained exactly what it's doing and why.

I wanted to know the technical set-up.

4. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Grid computing allows computation to be spread out over a large number of machines. The client would run in the background, and presumably be resource friendly when the PC was being used, when the computer is idle (like screensaver mode) it would proceed to process data and send the results back to them. This allows them to do large computationally intense projects for very little money, they do not have to pay for time on a supercomputer, or build their own cluster. It is donated to them, and the lack of power on individual PC's is made up in quantity.

5. I Am Blessed 24

Thank you James.

6. superdave

superdave New Member

Very soon, everything will run on the grid, you will not need a PC with its own compute resources, you will simply connect to the network. After all, as some smart guys said in like 1983. The network is the Computer.

I am not a conspiracy theorist either, but I do think my company should have called our new grid computing environment "The Matrix" because that is almost the scope of the vision.