1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Caner's PR Attempt Backfires

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by FR7 Baptist, Aug 2, 2010.

1. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

The Rev. Ergun Caner, or one of his followers, has hired an online reputation protection service to spam Google with positive articles about him. However, the interwebs have caught on.

Read More

2. Peggy

Peggy New Member

Two things to remember from this kerpuffle:

1) Don't lie

2) Don't ever, ever, get on the wrong side of Dr. James White

3. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

I am impressed by James White about as much as Ergun Caner impressed me.

4. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I hope and pray I never fail at something in ministry, because it seems forgiveness ist something the Church and Christians are offerin anymore.

5. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

How has Dr. White put himself in the realm of Dr. Caner in your opinion? Please elaborate, thanks!

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I hope and pray that if you had the same deceitful attitude for nearly a decade you would come clean about it --confess,repent and get out of the limelight. Otherwise, Christ and His Church would be held in open contempt.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Prov. 29:1, "A man who hardens his neck after much reproof will suddenly be broken beyond remedy."

Those kind of people show who God is and the action he takes among the unrepentant.

8. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

I am a Reformed Baptist and generally love the debates of Dr. White, but I find how he approaches some subjects is too much for me. For years, long before the Caner issue, I felt his continual and incessant drone on certain issues is tiring. He, at times, comes across as arrogant.

While I tend to agree with White, he is does not win me with his approach. The other day I watched 10 minutes of his ranting about the Liberty statement on Caner. To a point, I thought, "You may be right, but get a life and move on." It was not his first rant and will not be his last... and it was tiring.

So, while I respect White's intellectual ability, I still have difficulty with his attitude, approach, and droning.

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Most anyone today would have trouble with someone who speaks the truth. We live in a worldly society both inside and outside of the church that is spineless and has little affect on their neighbors.

Years ago I lived in a parsonage and was next door to two families. When I left the town one of the ladies thanked me for getting to know her husband. She had become a Christian years earlier but he was not a believer. She told me that I was the only pastor living in the parsonage that ever got to know her husband.

Too often arrogance is confused with confidence and boldness.

What would you do with the Jesus found in the Temple in Jn 2:13-22?

10. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

GB,

Did I say anything about him speaking he truth? In fact, I said that I tend to agree with White more than I disagree. I have very few disagreements with him and the ones I have are minor.

My problem with him is his attitude, approach, and droning about the issues.

Again, I respect him highly as a Greek and Apologetical scholar. However, those three areas (attitude, approach, and droning) make it difficult for me to listen or read his works.

So, please, do not turn this into "He is speaking the truth and that is why people hate him." No, I do not like his attitude, approach, and droning, but I often agree with him.

:BangHead:

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I find myself "with" White on only about 100% of the issues. ;)

When battling the same errors and fauly thinking and "heresies" over and over and over, I too become repetitious. And must seem "arrogant" to those who disagree with me.

Holding the truth IN LOVE is battle #1 for me. I want to hold the truth AND beat the dummies over the head with it until they agree with me!! :BangHead:

12. Eagle

Eagle Member

Here, here, Dr. Bob! Well said! I think that most of us on this Board, find ourselves agreeing with you on this point, only about 100% of the time!

P.S. Do not expect me to say I agree with you again, anytime soon! :laugh:

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The problem I have is your subjective judgment. How can we possibly judge another except on the basis of facts in accordance with scripture? Facts are facts. Just look at Jesus what he called the religionists of the day, "White washed tombs." Should White have named Caner as one of those and given him the same name? Caner fits the same profile.

When I consider Matthew 5:4 we ought to be angry that few have taken any action against Caner and his false statements that are nothing more or less than lies. It has been a great opportunity for Satan to chide a man who has easily gotten by with such nonsense.

White is one of the few real men who stand up and call it what it is. He is not a man of flowery feminine speech which is: politically correct, perfectly acceptable, and non-offensive.

What do you see when Jesus turned over the tables in Jn 2? Was he a feminine Jesus like most would like to see or was he a masculine Jesus standing for righteousness and truth?

14. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  15. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Jerome, have you ever, even once posted anything that was edifying?

16. William Price

William Price New Member

Your venom is showing. How about posting something that brings God glory instead of posting something that shows the depravity of the human heart?

17. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

How is what you posted edifying?

18. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have not noted one instance. But we allow discussions here that often have postings I see as "less than edifying". :tonofbricks:

19. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would pray that if you, or I, should fall into sin that you would repent and allow grace to move you on. Dr. Caner, though he and his supporters have made excuses, has failed to acknowledge or apologize for his sin. HIs situation, like David's, cannot be made right unless/until he confesses his sin. I am not one of those who believe he must come out and humiliate himself begging everyone to forgive him. However I do believe that the very public nature of his sin requires some sort of public apology for his sin (not mis-statement or mistake). Many Christians talk about calling sin what it is, sin. However the Caner situation proves that far too many are willing to ignore or excuse sin when the guilty party is a friend, family member, or popular preacher/teacher. That is a very sad commentary on the state of the modern evangelical church. Lets recall that unrepentant liars will spend eternity in hell (Rev. 21:8). I am not saying Dr. Caner is lost, what I am saying is that he needs to repent. The fruit of true repentance is a change and a making things right (Lk 19:1-10). We have not seen this from Caner or his supporters.

20. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with you about Dr. White's tendency to "drone on". I also believe that, from time to time, he provides a platform for people who don't need or deserve a platform. I have noticed that he will respond to a blog or youtube posting by someone that nobody has heard of. Usually that "somebody" is way out in left field someplace. There is no reason for him to provide those type of people with platforms. As for Dr. White coming across as "arrogant", I don't know. Many times confidence can be misunderstood as arrogance. Also someone who is as well studied as Dr. White can make other "less studied" folks look bad. That, of course, can be misunderstood as arrogance. I have seen Dr. White "wipe the floor" with someone during a debate. Of course that person/s later claims Dr. White was "arrogant". The truth, however, is that Dr. White was better read/studied than the other person was.

I think the "rift" between Drs. Caner and White is deep and goes much further than this issue. It goes back to the "almost debate" over Calvinism where Liberty and the Caner brothers tried to change the rules at the last minute. It goes back to Caner's weak attempts to pass himself off as some sort of expert debator when he clearly is not. Does Dr. White need to move on to something else? Probably. However the Caner situation is not going away. Dr. Caner has shamed himself, Liberty University, and the Church. And for what purpose? To make himself look more important. Shame on him, shame on Dr. Ergun Caner.