1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can't delete a file. HELP!!

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by HeDied4U, Feb 23, 2009.

1. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yesterday afternoon I downloaded an AVI file from a site that I have downloaded from before. During the download I got a popup message from McAfee saying (words to the effect) that a buffer had been overloaded. Not thinking much of it, I just clicked on [okay] and let it continue to download.

When I tried to play back the video, RealPlayer just sat there like it was trying to get it going, but to no avail. I tried running it in Windows Media Player, and got an error message saying that I needed some kind of codex for it to run.

Rather than go through the hassle, I just decided to delete the file. Well, imaging my surprise when it wouldn't delete. I get this nice little pop up box saying it was calculating the time (needed to delete it, I suppose) but even after 30 minutes the box was still calculating. The only way I can get it to go away is to hit [cancel]. I tried restarting my computer, thinking that might help, but it just did the same ting again. Tried again this morning and I'm getting the same results.

I'm at my wits end. It's slowing my documents folder way down when I try to open it. I've tried everything I know (which isn't much, I'm afraid) to get rid of it and it just will not delete.

HELP!!! How can I get rid of that stupid file???

Many thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Maybe try doing it from a command prompt. Start>Run and input cmd and enter. change to the directory where it resides and type DEL filename.avi and hit Enter, where filename.avi is the real name of the file.

3. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

How large is the file? If it's very large, I can see it taking that long to delete.

Here's what you do to delete the file without going through the Windows deletion process.

Download a useful program called Eraser. You can find it at download.com by searching for Eraser (it's up to version 5.86). Install Eraser and use it to erase the file. You can make Eraser accessible in Windows Explorer via right-click, or you can run the program and erase the offending file. If the file is very large, it will take Eraser a while to erase it.

However, if you'd like to watch whatever the file is, it wouldn't be too hard to find the codec for it. A codec is just a program that decodes the avi so you can watch it. You should be able to find it on download.com. In fact, there's a codec pack on download.com, version 7.4, that might have what you need.

4. HeDied4U

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The file is 23.1MB. I've had larger files to be deleted that didn't take long at all.

I'll try looking for the codec in the morning (at work at the moment), and then if that still doesn't work I'll try the Eraser program or the technique that Magnetic Poles suggested above.

I'll update sometime tomorrow and let y'all know how it all turns out.

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions. I really appreciate it.

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

7. HeDied4U

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I want to thank you all for your replies. They were all very informative.

However, before I tried any of them out, I decided to try one last thing; a system restore. Didn't think it had a chance in you know where, but I figured "Eh, why not."

Imagine my surprise when after the computer restarted, and all settings were now from three days ago, I was able to delete the file right away when I tried it. No sitting there thinking for 30+ minutes without any action; no slow Documents folder. Nope, none of that; it was an instant delete.

I will keep all these links and suggestions in mind however, just in case I run into this problem again (and I'll be praying that I don't).

Thanks again. :thumbs: