1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Car Accident

Discussion in 'Prayer Requests & Praise' started by Spinach, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Spinach

Spinach New Member

I just called my husband to see if he would be home for supper. He cut the conversation short because he was in the middle of dealing with the Police. He did tell me quickly that he was in an accident and that he and the Pastor with him are fine. He told me not to break out in hives or anything, but that it wasn't good. I don't yet know what that means----and I don't know what this will mean for us, legally, here.

Please pray about this situation!

Thanks!

2. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just prayed! Glad they're both fine.

3. Spinach

Spinach New Member

I'm on the phone with him now. He's fine. The van if fine. Our insurance will cover the minimal damage to the other car, which hit our van in the rear, after 10 meters of skid marks.

Legally, it's not good, but it's not bad, either. I'm glad it's no worse than it is.

On a side note, dh took his first breath test tonight. What a crazy night on the mission field!

4. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure glad your husband and pastor are all right.

Praying for all involved.

If the other fellow hit your van in the rear it should be his fault.

5. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

So, how are those hives Spinach? ;)

I'm glad they are all ok too! Also praying for all involved.

6. Spinach

Spinach New Member

HA! I never do break out in hives, but I do worry so.

Dh was at fault for lack of turn signal. It was evening and no one was on the road. He made an error in judgement and didn't turn on his signal----he was turning into the Pastor's driveway. Just then, the car came up out of nowhere and skid before hitting our van in the rear. Fortunately there wasn't much damage.

The biggest frustration was the language. At one point, they demanded a specific document. Dh tried to tell them that he already gave it to them and that it was in the squad car. They kept telling him they wanted the paper. They wouldn't listen to him. Finally they gave him 24 hours to get that paper. Then they went back to the car----and wouldn't you know it, there was the paper. They held it up to show that they found it, but no apology was given.

In the end, the police were easier on him than our lawyer said they would be. We were pretty worried, but it ended up being ok.

Thanks for praying, all!

7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Praying it all turns out ok... :praying:

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If I understand the responsibilities of accidents, your husband might get a ticket for not signaling but since he was hit from behind, it's almost all the fault of the person behind him. My father was a cop and he told me that you could stop your car on the interstate in the middle of the night and leave the lights off and walk away. If anyone hits your car, it's their fault. Weird, huh?

But I'm glad everyone is OK. That's the most important thing.

9. Spinach

Spinach New Member

The way things should be and the way things are, are two very different things when you're a foreigner, unfortunately.

He was a bit sore in the neck last night, but he's fine today.

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Wait! That's right - you're not in the states. Sorry!! It's probably different over there.

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

And laws do differ, here, for example, if you do not properly warn the person behind you that you are stopping you are at fault.

12. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I totally understand what you are saying. Living over seas makes one appreciate for what the USA has. I hope that I will never again complain about traffic laws or how people drive in the the States again. I live in a country that has the supposedly has the highest amount of accidents per capita in the world.

I will be sure to pray for your situation and that everything works out fine.

13. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Outside of the US, things are oh so different in many respects including traffic laws (if they are even upheld).

14. Spinach

Spinach New Member

Things are not so orderly on the roads here. I have a picture of a little Lada with a lawn tractor trailer on the back, with 2 cows in it-----on the autobahn!

On the autobahn, there are two lanes on both sides. However, slow drivers drive on the shoulder. If you are in the fast lane and someone behind you flashes their lights, you MUST move over or risk being run right off the roads. When in Rome and all that jazz... Oh, and you have to watch for herds of cows, sheep, goats, etc-----on the autobahn. It's really very dangerous on the roads.

On the regular roads, we have sheep crossings that you have to watch for. We also have horse (or donkey) carts to watch for. All of that, plus, the people prefer to walk on the streets instead of the cracked, uneven sidewalks. Nights are especially dangerous for driving.

One thing you don't have to worry about is getting hit by a train. They lower the whatchyacallits about 30 minutes before the train arrives. You may as well pack a lunch because you're gonna be there a while.

Dh said the police arrived on the scene only 20 minutes after the fact. That was record time! Usually it would take up to two hours.

15. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I have seen people go down an EXIT ramp off the free way, and then make a U turn because they did not want to take the time to find the entrance ramp.

When making a left turn, if there is cross traffic that wants to turn left as well (onto your road) they will turn to the right of you as long as there is no one there wanting to turn right.

There are very few stop signs, and if there is one they are not obeyed, and donĀ“t even let me start talking about the rotondas.

Sounds very similar to here. The posted speed limit is 120 t0 130, but few follow that. I had a visiting supporter tell me that driving here in Argentina was worse than his experience on the german autobahn.

One thing you have to watch out for here is the holes in the road (pozos) I hail from Detroit and I thought we had bad roads... until I moved here. ay ay ay!

Oh one more thing- there are some people here that will not put their lights on at night, because, as I have been told, "it wears the bulbs out faster and then I have to pay for new ones".

16. Spinach

Spinach New Member

Oh my! Yes, that sounds a lot like here, but more like the country to the north of us. They can turn a two-lane rd into a 4-lane, with parking. They park on the sidewalks if there's no room on the street.

I am from MI also, so it wasn't a schock to see the bad roads. Things are getting better with the EU here---not so many pot holes.

When we first arrived on the field and got off the plane, a dear missionary brother picked us up. He looked at me and said, "You may want to go ahead and take a nap. This is the roughest part of the trip." Boy was he right!!!

17. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Now that was funny....

It reminded me of mom's china, the ones we never ate off.

Or our couch in the living room covered in plastic. The one we could never sit on.

18. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Lanes here mean nothing, in fact it is very common to drive in two lanes at the same time.

How is the situation by the way? No legal trouble I hope? I understand though that things move very slowly.

19. Spinach

Spinach New Member

The matter has been resolved and is a lot better than it could have been. Our insurance will take care of the other man's damage. Dh now has less than a year to acquire a specific drive card, or face fines and/or eventual imprisonment.

20. jilphn1022

jilphn1022 New Member

Great to hear how the Lord cared for your husband and pastor!!