1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Carnal Christians

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gekko, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

He was always a son, even when he was in the pig pen. He was never "not a son".

2. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

Yeah, but all humanity can be considered to be 'sons of God' in a technical sense, due to Him being our creator, right?

3. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

and the coin and the sheep were lost as well. And there was great rejoicing when they were found. In the context of the 3 parables placed together (strategically), why do we have to make the son backslidden?

4. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Tater in order for something to be lost that means it must be outside of the original position. That's why I struggle with how so many Christians don't see that Israel was a saved nation during the NT times. They were lost sheep. Nowhere in the Bible does it ever associate a sheep with spiritual deadness or an unsaved state.

They were lost sheep. They were saved, but just away from the fold and had lost their way.

Now you could view that as they lost their salvation and needed to get it back, but that is not supported by Scripture. Scripture only leaves us with one interpretation and that is the interpretation of Truth.

5. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

and the coin?

6. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Again the coin can not be lost unless it was previously possessed.

7. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

exacty. But it doesnt necessarily parallel a "saved" person

8. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

What else could it possilbly be talking about? Especially when talking about lost sheep. Again there is no mention in the Bible equating a sheep with an unsaved person.

9. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

The intention of the parable is not even about lost/saved, but about who Jesus was hanging around and why. He told the 3 parables in response to the question. Since parables are not allegory, I think the meaning goes beyond our modern day theological categories.

10. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Exactly! None of the parables that I can think of off the top of my head are dealing with saved/unsaved issues. The parables are addressed to saved individuals that need to learn from the spiritual truth that is in them.

The spiritual truth was there for them and it is here for us if we will understand it as it is given instead of trying to put our own personal spin on the matters!

11. gekko

gekko New Member

taken from another forum that im part of. please read. oh - and tear it up all you want HoG and J.Jump. :)

12. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

:thumbs: My bad, then. I misunderstood that you were saying the lost son "backslidden". Then we agree! :)

13. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

It's not a matter of tearing it up. It's a matter of is what is stated true or not according to Scripture. So let's see if it stands up to the test of Scripture.

Right from the get go we see this person is not dealing with Sripture but with personal opinion. What does the word mean?

That's exactly what the word means. A change of mind, but then this person adds personal opinion to the matter. S/He should have just let the definition stand on its own.

What were the people supposed to change their minds about? They were supposed to change their minds about Who Jesus was. Christ came to them as their King, but some did not want to accept Him as King. Now there are some that did want Him to be King, but they wanted Him to be King on their terms and not His.

Again that's just not true. Repentance is something that you do (work) not something God does for you. God doesn't change your mind, you change your mind.

These are kingdom contexts, not eternal salvation contexts.

Yes actually it does. Lordship salvation is a false teaching that is trying to get people to rely on themselves and them changing their mind and them committing their life to the Lord instead of what the Lord has done of their behalf.

Again where does the Bible talk about a repentant faith in connection with eternal salvation? Answer-nowhere. It's not there.

Repentance and faith in the same sentence are kingdom issues, not eternal salvation issues.

Again this is a false personal opinion, becuase you don't have to look any further than Acts 16:30-31 to find it to be a statement outside of Scripture.

14. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

I guess I'm misunderstanding you now as backslidding has nothing to do with eternal salvation, but the state of the person's walk in the present.

15. gekko

gekko New Member

well J.Jump - you may want to discuss this further.

but i will resort to: agree to disagree.

God bless

16. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Gekko you are more than welcome to step away from the discussion, but that doesn't change that the Bible doesn't teach what you want it to teach. There's just no way that you can support it without causing contradictions at some junction.

17. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

Now you're saying that eternal salvation is dependent on "state of the person's walk in the present?" That's what I've been saying all along. Someone who was "saved" 20 years ago but turned their back on God, like the Prodigal Son, is TODAY in the state of the unbeliever and in danger of eternal damnation.

18. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

No I'm not. You obviously are misunderstanding what I'm saying. Your eternal salvation is not based on your walk (works), but on the works of Christ done on your behalf. That's it! You faith is a one-time event as HoG explained. It's like pulling the trigger on the gun. Once you pull the trigger it's a done deal. You can wish you never pulled the trigger, but the results are still the same.

Salvation NEVER changes after that moment. To say otherwise to is step outside of Scripture.

Your walk ONLY has to do with the salvation of your soul.

19. gekko

gekko New Member

one last thing i wish to add as a finish for me:

J.Jump and HoG - i do agree with what you have been saying - that belief is a one time thing (although salvation is an ongoing thing for we are always saved once we are saved for its not us but Christ that saves us - i hope we agree on that. that its not us but Christ)

as for me - i will put my life in the hands of God and trust that He will teach me his ways. ways of a repentant faith and trust in Him.

although we may disagree on what scriptures are talking of eternal salvation - but i dont know. i've still much studying to do in the word. im only 18 after all right?

what i will share with others is that we must not tell people that they are saved - but i will tell them how to be saved - by grace through faith. and because of that - the Lord demands of us repentance and good fruit now that we are His - He will work through us to glorify Himself.

i will trust the Lord in teaching these babes in Christ - although it will not be immediate - which we agree on - which is one thing i've learned from all this. that its not immediate. (it was professingly immediate for the stony ground hearer though - but thats not my point)

we do grow. for those of us who do not grow - we've been locked away in a closet. we need to be in the world not of the world as much as a plant needs to be in the sunlight to grow.

another thing i wish to add. and i pray we agree on. that the Lord does not hear the prayers of the unrighteous - for his face is turned against them.

1 Peter 3:12 - For the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and his ears are open unto their prayers: but the face of the Lord is against them that do evil.
    ---

May God bless you and Keep you.
    josh a.k.a. gekko