1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Carrier just showed corporations how to beat Donald Trump

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Crabtownboy, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Trump lost and Carrier and United Technologies showed other companies how to trump Trump ... and Carrier employees and Indiana tax payers will be stuck with the price. Trump promised to save ALL the jobs. But he didn't and in addition stuck it to Indiana tax payers.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: https://www.washingtonpost.com/post...-to-beat-donald-trump/?utm_term=.dcc085f5a50d

President-elect Donald Trump will reportedly announce a deal with United Technologies, the corporation that owns Carrier, that keeps less than 1,000 of the 2100 jobs in America that were previously scheduled to be transferred to Mexico. Let’s be clear: It is not good enough to save some of these jobs. Trump made a promise that he would save all of these jobs, and we cannot rest until an ironclad contract is signed to ensure that all of these workers are able to continue working in Indiana without having their pay or benefits slashed.

In exchange for allowing United Technologies to continue to offshore more than 1,000 jobs, Trump will reportedly give the company tax and regulatory favors that the corporation has sought. Just a short few months ago, Trump was pledging to force United Technologies to “pay a ... tax.” He was insisting on very steep tariffs for companies like Carrier that left the United States and wanted to sell their foreign-made products back in the United States. Instead of a ... tax, the company will be rewarded with a ... tax cut. Wow! How’s that for standing up to corporate greed? How’s that for punishing corporations that shut down in the United States and move abroad?

In essence, United Technologies took Trump hostage and won. And that should send a shock wave of fear through all workers across the country.

#1 Crabtownboy, Dec 1, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2016
  2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm wondering how Trump picking corporate winners is different from when Obama picked corporate winners? Anybody want to enlighten me why it's OK to do this now, but when Obama was doing it in Great Recession it was wrong?

3. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know, when even the liberals over at The Young Turks are calling this a win for Trump, you might have to rethink some things:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I counted three curse words in the OP. Should have been edited out.

Evidence that CTB cuts-and-pastes without reading first.

5. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Trump can thank Pence for this half a loaf. After all, it's the state of Indiana that will be footing the bill for the incentives (there are few incentives from the feds for this kind of thing, after all). Not that it's necessarily a bad deal for Indiana; the income taxes from the saved payroll, plus consumer spending (which generates more taxes) and preservation of housing prices (which generates property taxes) are worth something. Trump wants to slash taxes for corporations anyway, so United Technologies doesn't stand to gain anything by not closing one of the two plants in that regard. Of course, UT (which has billions in federal contracts) might be thinking it doesn't stand to gain anything by ticking off the prez-elect so soon. Check back in five years and see if the plant is still operating.

6. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hope some of you guys know you are becoming quite the downers... There seems to be a disturbing desperation to direct (twist) every new action into pessimism and negativity around here and it is getting beyond old, it has become downright sad, frankly such motivation gives the impression of coming from a state of mind that seems rather unhealthy and rooted in personal dissatisfaction with life in general. I appreciate hearing Christian views of current events going on in the world but the thought has come to mind that what's behind an agenda of this kind of nitpicking vitriol toward every movement is probably something better to be avoided by anyone who would like to take some pride in country for change and wishes to enjoy a little peace and happiness in watching the overdue positive changes which are coming to our nation. ...just sayin...

• Like Like x 1
  7. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    And some folks mistake realism for pessimism.

• Like Like x 1
  8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They're still just mad that Trump beat Hillary. Some of them even admit a lot of things will get better, but it still doesn't make them happy. I guess they invested too much of themselves intheir anti Trump agenda and now they justcan't shake it. Even to the point of being hyper critical of things that haven't even occured, but might. Maybe.

Strange behavior for a bunch of people who basically just didn't get what they wanted and don't know how to handle it. Suffering from PEST, the same disorder that caused Al Gore to gain 100 pounds , grow a beard and become a shill for phony science. Pest does strange things to otherwise normal people, even Christians.

9. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm wondering how Trump picking corporate winners is different from when Obama picked corporate winners? Anybody want to enlighten me why it's OK to do this now, but when Obama was doing it in Great Recession it was wrong?

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Selective amnesia?

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which winners did Obama pick? All I remember is the fiasco of funding green energy startups, which I would say differs from incentivizing an established company to stay in the country.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I find it highly amusing to see how many 'conservatives' and Trump supporters think this is great. Not long ago most of these same folk were condemning the 2008 bailout of the banks and car industry and shouting government should play no part in helping companies. Wasn't the hashtag, "Get government out of our lives," shouted over and over on this board?

Well, who said Trump supporters should be consistent. Trump certainly is not consistent.

So, now all a company has to do to get breaks and have tax payers help them is say, 'we are going overseas'.

ROFL

13. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The green energy companies like Solyndra and Fiskers are great examples, (and they weren't start-ups). Another example is the General Motors bailout, including related GM suppliers. I'm sure there are others.

It's not just incentivizing companies to stay in the country, picking winners and losers also means dis-incentivizing them like slapping regulations on them such as when Obama had the EPA crackdown on drilling for oil or changing the air quality standards to hurt coal burning powerplants.

Slapping tariffs on companies that leave the country, like Trump wants to do, is the worst sort of picking winners and losers.

So I ask again for the third time, if this was wrong, wrong, wrong for Obama why is it now OK for Trump to do it?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

14. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No need to rethink that liberals love to have government meddle in free enterprise, which is basically what this guy is advocating. (Obama is too soft to do what Trump is willing to do was essentially the message in the video.)

15. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This quote by Mike Pence is quite ominous:

“The free market has been sorting it out and America’s been losing,” Mike Pence said yesterday, while in the background Trump could be heard singing the chorus: “Every time, every time.”

I can see this line of reasoning being applied to lots of industries, like health care and energy, for starters.

#15 InTheLight, Dec 2, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  16. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.westernjournalism.com/du...rump-could-do-nothing-to-retain-carrier-jobs/

During June Town Hall, Obama Said Trump Could Do Nothing To Retain Carrier Jobs

Back in June, President Barack Obama derided President-elect Donald Trump’s ability to do anything for the Carrier Corp. employees who were slated to lose their jobs. In the wake of Carrier announcing it would shift production from Indiana to Mexico, the president indicated that jobs leaving Indiana were part of a trend that could not be reversed.

The president later told the audience they would have to learn to live with the loss.

17. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Using the government's pull as a customer is far different than writing law and regulation to mandate changes in business practices.

Private industry does this all the time, and nobody claims that it is an affront to free enterprise.

18. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Conservatives made similar negative flaps about Obama policies and I was among them.

As far as I know my complaints were not against him personally but his policies (same gender marriage) and projects (Obamacare in particular).

So those of us who are not #NEVERTRUMP should expect a tsunami against Trump's actions which has amazingly started before he is even inaugurated.

What is sad is the venom of ad hominem posts which has come forth since the election.
    True, both conservatives and progressives have their "attack dogs" which are let loose particularly at election times.

Thank goodness dueling has been outlawed (apart from debating). :)

Personally I thank the LORD for allowing us to have the Bill of Rights.
    An unparalleled freedom for America's citizens in the history of world government.

HankD

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Solyndra and Fiskers were manufacturing companies that received loan guarantees from the federal government in order to maintain/create jobs. Carrier is a manufacturing company that is getting tax incentives to maintain jobs. Essentially they are both getting free money from the federal government.

So I ask again for the fourth time, if this was wrong, wrong, wrong for Obama why is it now OK for Trump to do it?

20. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, with you so far...

Yes, if we believe in a principle or ethic we should be consistent.

Well, you lost me. Who has made on ad-hominem attack, other than Benjamin and Carpro, in this thread?