1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Carter meets with SBC bloggers to discuss 2008 convocation

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gb93433, May 17, 2007.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Have you read the transcript?

If you were to ask Carter there is no doubt in my mind that he would say that Jesus is the only way. I cannot even imagine with him teaching a Sunday School class each week that the people in the class would accept such nonsense as Mohler suggests. If I were a betting man I would be willing to bet that Mohler is a liar especially from what I have seen of his exaggerations and misinformation in the past. He had to do something to look better after the homosexuality issue he spoke about.

#21 gb93433, May 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2007
  2. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

2 Tim 2

Then give me a definition of inerrancy. Give an example of a Biblical doctrine Wade Burleson holds that is liberal.

You have a bizarre definition of liberal. Why not deal with his statement and answer his question for me:

"What I can't understand is why Southern Baptists could not be accepted if they affirmed the 63 Baptist Faith and Message, or the First London Confession of Faith, or even their own confession if it is ORTHODOX regarding the essentials of the faith."

But you would sign it anyway?

Again, you have a strange definition of “liberal”. Why not finish and say he has a liberal view on the length of a man’s hair too.

You know as much about me as you do Wade Burleson. Neither I nor Wade find any Biblical Doctrines in error. Of course those of the Hyles camp would probably disagree.

Do you find any errors in the verses below?

2Ki 8:26 Ahaziah was twenty-two years old when he began to reign, and he reigned one year in Jerusalem. And his mother's name was Athaliah, the daughter of Omri king of Israel.

2Ch 22:2 Ahaziah's age was forty-two years old when he began to reign, and he reigned one year in Jerusalem. His mother's name was Athaliah the daughter of Omri.

Was he 42 or 22?

2Ch 9:25 And Solomon had four thousand stalls for horses and chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen, whom he put in the chariot cities and with the king at Jerusalem.

1Ki 4:26 And Solomon had forty thousand stalls of horses for his chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen.

Did Solomon have 4000 stalls or 40,000 stalls?

Or will you also ignore the question?

3. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

Oasis

I just asked a simple question that you don’t seem to want to answer. I didn’t ask for a verse by verse battle over Wade.

I’ll post it again for you, perhaps one of the Wade bashers will answer it because it gets to the core of the question as to what is the definition of inerrancy:

2Ki 8:26 Ahaziah was twenty-two years old when he began to reign, and he reigned one year in Jerusalem. And his mother's name was Athaliah, the daughter of Omri king of Israel.

2Ch 22:2 Ahaziah's age was forty-two years old when he began to reign, and he reigned one year in Jerusalem. His mother's name was Athaliah the daughter of Omri.

Was he 42 or 22?

2Ch 9:25 And Solomon had four thousand stalls for horses and chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen, whom he put in the chariot cities and with the king at Jerusalem.

1Ki 4:26 And Solomon had forty thousand stalls of horses for his chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen.

What Doctrine?? Since you are so well versed on Wade’s theology you should be able to tell me on what Biblical Doctrine Wade Burleson is in error on. The “doctrine” of separation? Is that it?

You must not be in the SBC. I attend a church where a Paige Patterson disciple ministers and he, nor my own SBC pastor, will preach from Mark 16:9-20 because they question the inspiration of that text as do many. So what does that do to inerrancy?

We will disagree because you tell not the truth.

Let me guess, IFB?

4. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

If there are no doctrines in the Bible to be found to be iin error then the Bible is inerrant.

5. csl

csl New Member

GB,

If Carter believes Jesus is the only way then why doesn't he just say so?

Jesus was very clear about Himself. He said:

"I'am the Way the Truth and the Life NO MAN cometh unto the Father but by Me."

What pap to say that He is a former president blah blah blah has to watch how he words things...blah blah blah.

No. A true born again child of God can answer without double-talk , with conviction that Jesus is the only way to heaven.

Jimmy Carter is more than likely an apostate. Bill Clinton more than likely needs to confess his sins before a holy God and get saved.

I myself choose to be as exclusive as the lord Himself. Jesus said He was the only way.

So GB is Jesus a liar?

If you've never been washed in the blood of the Lamb then the Bible says that person is going to Hell. So those who claim to be christians like Carter and Clinton need to speak CLEARLY if they command such sway with the public. The Savior of whom they PROFESS spoke clearly about Himself why can't they?

They cannot because IMHO they are "clouds without water" Jude 12

GB, I will agree with you though . The SBC is on the way out. God never promised that the SBC would prevail but His church will.
    the wolves and tares of liberalism may defeat the SBC but they will never defeat the blood bought saved saints that make up the bride of Christ.

The only fault I see of those who fought to return the SBC to it's conservative roots is the fact that they didn't prune and purge as was needed. I say if it meant giving up half of whatever the convention owned then they should have done it just to cleanse the whole denomination completly of those of a liberal, theological disposition.
    They did not however because there was to much money, power , buildings etc... involved. So in that regard some of the conservative resurgence rings hollow with me. This is why out of conviction I cannot pastor a SBC church. The "tent" is to big for me.

6. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

Is that the definition of inerrancy as understood by all?

I accept that definition, but what if Brother Fundie says the definition of inerrancy is absolutely no errors in our modern 1611 KJV Bible. (See my example that you didn't answer).

If you disagree with Bro. Fundie, then you are now the "liberal". If you don't believe the 1611 KJV is the only inspired version of the Bible then you hold a "liberal" view of inerrancy. If you have a meeting with someone who uses the NASB you are now cooperating with heretics. Yes, Bro. Fundie will say of you: " he is a moderate who embraces doctrinal liberalism".

You see how easy it is too call someone a "liberal", it is however more difficult to prove it from scripture. Go back and listen to good ole Jack: http://jackhyles.net/sermons.shtml

Why according to his ilk "liberals" were rampant in the SBC. I bet you would even be a liberal.

7. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, only time will tell if your prophecy is true. But, I for one plan to stay a Southern Baptist until either the rapture (which I pray is REAL SOON) or until I die and go to heaven. There will probably always be issues that need to be dealt with in the SBC, but honestly, they don't really affect the local church very much.

There have always been nay-sayers, especially from those outside the SBC. There have always been the prophets of gloom and doom. I have long since stopped listening to them.

8. 2 Timothy2:1-4

They may be wacked about the KJV only thing but they have no doubts about scripture. And they do not paint it as unclear in any way shape or form as does the EC or any liberal. Scripture is clear and doctrine is worth all the dogmatism in the world. The open unded conversation and ecumenicalism is straight from the pit of hell.

9. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

How would they answer this?

Was he 42 or 22?

Seems it would be an easy question for those who "have no doubts about scripture" or "do not paint it as unclear in any way shape or form".

Will no one help this poor liberal heretic out??:praying:

10. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

You're from Indiana and you're making fun of somebody's speech? Gimme a break.

11. 2 Timothy2:1-4

Can you tell me which doctrine these copiest errors make unclear?

12. csl

csl New Member

SBCPREACHER,

"Doesnt' affect the local church much"?

No. If your logic was correct then there would have been no need for a conservative resurgence in the SBC because all those liberal preachers that those liberal profs. indoctrinated with their lib. theology would never have produced all those "moderates" that wanted to forsake the Bible.

It is the apathetic, satisfied attitude of guys like yourself that will help usher in the next downslide in southern baptist life. What?Do you want to deny the elephant in the room and maybe it will just leave?

I guess it is hard to leave that ole SBC when you got that retirement plan all working for you.

Which is another problem with SB churches. Some of them have these complacent, willy-nilly preachers who are just killin time until they can start drawing that retirement check. Why they ain't gonna raise a ruckus bout nothing.

Yeah in one sense your right the local church isn't effected that much because they are ignorant of what is even going on because their pastor doesn't want to put forth the effort to take a stand.

Furthermore, the SBC is in trouble because you have these young preachers who want to thumb their noses at the convention and it's so called "back slapping" way of looking out for the powerbrokers of the SBC. Yet they will give just barely enough money to the CP to be considered SB. I guess they like some of the perks of convention life but want to distance themselves from the "rough side" of the SBC because they want to distance themselves from the "family".

Don't think I'm right? Somebody nominate Ed Young Jr. for SBC pres. I bet he is real interested. How bout ole Ricky Warren?
    I know how bout that died in the wool lib. McManus who spoke at the convention last year.He is about a rock's throw from being a heretic. Maybe he will show interest?

On any given Sunday you can pop into a SBC church and you might see a woman preacher, next door down you might find somebody speaking in tongues, next door down you might meet a reformed brother, next door down may be a seeker friendly church, next door down may be one of these crackpot, wacked out emergent churches or gatherings or whatever you call them.

Check out your precious convention"s different state conventions and some of their associations. Dude there are some wacked out things going on in church planting and it sure ain't baptistic.

So who is going to win the day? The young reformed SB preachers, the seeker friendly,hip relevant, don't wanna stand for the convention preachers, or the moderates/libs. who have simply put on a new disguise which is the postmodernistic, emergent, type of costume.
    Who knows maybe it is the bapticostals like Ron Phillips who really have the clout, after all they got the Holy Ghost anointing.

13. 2 Timothy2:1-4

Yep the State of Florida is eat up with this liberalism. It is time for another option.

14. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I see you didn't take my advice in the other thread to calm down.

Seriously....calm down.

15. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

Do you prefer this statement of belief from our "Christian" President?

Bush on Religion and God
    President Says He Believes Muslims and Christians Pray to Same God
    Oct. 26, 2004 - While the president often refers to God during public addresses to his supporters, Bush's religious convictions don't always seem to reflect those of the conservative Christians who make up his political base.

In an exclusive interview with ABC News' Charles Gibson, Bush said he believes that both Christians and Muslims worship the same God.

"I think we do. We have different routes of getting to the Almighty," Bush said. "But I want you to understand, I want your listeners to understand, I don't get to get decide who goes to heaven. The Almighty God decides who goes to heaven and I am on my personal walk," he said.

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

How sad isn't it?

The Republicans know that the church is the largest orgaized group of volunteers who are conservative and tend to support one another. It is no secret what their strategy was from the start.

I would like to see both parties go and let us get someone in with some integrity instead of a dollar and political agenda.

17. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

You could get out of there and go to Canada or the pacific northwest and start some churches. Those conventions are not laden with such nonsense. They have a job to do and are trying to stay focused on the task at hand. It is refreshing to see what is happening in those places.

18. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

If you believe both parties have no integrity (which is correct), why do you keep singing the praises of Carter?

The American people are sick of the existing two parties, the lies, the deciet, and pandering for votes.

19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If the churches cannot clean up their own act then how could anyone believe their message of how to love people as Christ does and the free gift of salvation. When I pastored in the SBC I never once spoke on what was going on in the convention. However there were those involved at the state and national level in the congregation who thought I should teach SBC materials and talk about what was happening in the SBC. They did not seem to like that too well. We were too busy trying to visit the new Christians and help them grow that I did not have time for such nonsense. Those people liked the limelight but were ineffective in their local town. It did not take me very long to find out from non-Christians in town about them and what they were really like.For over 25 years they had a heretical practrice that the SBC knew about and said nothing. When I contacted one of the main leaders in the conservative resurgence he advised me to move on rather than say anything. The SBC collected their CP money and never said one work about their heretical practice. Today they have a very pro SBC pastor and are dying a slow death. There is a lot of talk about how much they believe the Bible but little action. Do you really think that makes me have great respect for SBC leadership?

When someone tells me how good he is at something and how much he believes the Bible I find few of his words believable. When a man believes the Bible it is obvious in the way he lives and what he says. Billy Graham does not have to tell us how much evangelism he does. He exudes it.

I am certainly not in favor of divison and divisiveness. I think a lot of old Baptists are tired of the fighting and want the Baptists to get back to doing what they once did--cooperation in missions. Some of my friends have been missionaries with the SBC and some have worked as professors and administrators in some SBC entities. Not one of them have much good to say about the current SBC and the trouble they have caused. Those idiots caused a lot of trouble for some who are working in Muslim countries. I think Carter is a little wiser than them. Think about what the outcome might have been if he said Muslims are going to hell. Isn't that kind of like Bush saying all Mormons are going to hell. Who could be sure all Mormons are going to hell? Who could be sure all Muslims are going to hell. As a kid I can remember hearing Baptists say Catholics are going to hell. Well that is all I knew. The person who led me to Christ never said anything against Catholics but rather led me in undertsanding the Bible and teaching me to pray and share my faith. Evetually I saw things. Often stating a truth does not always help the person you are trying to reach. For years I always thought of Baptists as some kind of cult. If I came to a Baptist church in town I avoided it because I did not like what I saw as their disrespect for others. During my college days I won a lot of Catholics to Christ. I never once cut them down or showed them any disrespect. I avoided those discussions and simply did as Jesus did, point them to what God wanted from the beginning.

When a man came to Jesus and asked how he could inherit eternal life what did Jesus say? Sell all you have. Jesus reached in to the heart and gripped it. My gut says that a lot of Christians today would want Jesus to do something different. More often we should think beyond our words and then say what we should. Our words can have a great impact.

For example the average person on the street is going to hell. If I walked up to them and told them that I would be telling them a truth but how much wisdom did I use in winning them to Christ? Most likely the would get angray and not listen. If I persisted they would probably have me escorted off of the property.

Sometimes by what we say we can win the battle and lose the war. Our words must be showered with wisdom. Many times the religious leaders tried to trap Jesus and every time he led them away from what they wanted to what God wanted.

I am not a real pro Carter advocate. If he can pull off some kind of unity then great. Personally I disagree with his efforts and would like to see the SBC gone. I don't think for one second that Mohler ever represented what the transcript had written in it what Carter said. There are a number of things I disagree with Carter on. I am in favor of the truth. I never advocate lying or exaggerating the position of even someone I disagree with.

So are others outside of the US.

20. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

With all the problems of the SBC, what on earth makes you think the likes of Carter can help? Lets go back to 1976, when Mr Carter was elected. We had all sorts of problems, a recession, lack of confidence because of Watergate and Vietnam, etc. Now, forward to 1980. How did he help the situaion? Now, take that fact and plug him into helping the Baptist faith, with Clinton there. Duh[​IMG]

#40 saturneptune, May 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2007