1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Carter meets with SBC bloggers to discuss 2008 convocation

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gb93433, May 17, 2007.

1. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

So the Bible contains errors. You are now a "liberal" according to many. Some see inerrancy and lack of any error as the same thing:

Thesaurus
    Noun1.inerrancy - (Christianity) exemption from error; "biblical inerrancy

[​IMG]
    in·er·ran·cy (ĭn-ĕr'ən-sē) [​IMG]
    n.
    Freedom from error or untruths; infallibility: belief in the inerrancy of the Scriptures.

So under those definitions you do not hold to inerrancy. How does it feel to be a liberal?

Perhaps we can agree with John Ankerburg on his definitions:

A. What inerrancy does claim:
    1. To constitute an absolutely errorless original text. Inerrancy means that what the Bible teaches is true without a single error in the original manuscripts.
    2. Inerrancy does not refer to manuscript copies or translations.

http://www.johnankerberg.org/Articles/theological-dictionary/TD0799W3.htm

So depending on what ones definition of inerrancy is I can certainly see someone refusing to sign any document saying the Bible contains no errors. I can also see Burleson's view of cooperating with such people.

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

They did not do what they needed to do because they are too attached to their wallet and theiur extravagant living. They live in health and wealth alley. When a president of seminary and people claim as the leader of the conservative resurgence has an addition to an already large home just to house his books and trophy animals it clearly makes a statement of his willingness to sacrifice. When you go to a church growth conference and they tell you to reach wealthy people if you want to plant a church it tell you a lot about the conservative resurgence. When you read in the newspaper and then the trustees admit they lied that tells you a lot about the conservative resurgence. When you see two pastors in leadership roles in the SBC who regularly preach other pastors sermon week and after week that tells you a lot about the conservative resurgence. When you know that a church has had the Mormon bishop in to preach for several years and the SBC knows about it and does nothing except to glady accept their CP money that tells you a lot about the conservative resurgence.

Now if you consider the conservative resurgence better than liberalism you are settling for a hal baked cake which is still far from what God wants. The conservative leaders and liberals are not much different than each other. One has a different platfrom than the other but both do not really believe God. They put their trust in themselves. I expect both the CBF and SBC to fall at what one was will not exist. If one looks back over history who have made the same claims and lived the same kind of false righteousness they did not last.

When you hear men tell lies and say they believe the Bible but really live as practical atheists it tell you a lot about their faith.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Inerrancy is just another buzz word for a statement made by people who think they have all the answers but have no proof for their statements which gives the world something to grab onto and have fun with.

Years ago when the idiots started making their proclamation and I was much younger I started getting tripped up. I started hearing some of that stuff come out of the dispensational camp of people. When I finally began to understand the historical context behind the passages then I understood what was written with much greater clarity and understood the message better. That is when I also better understood the Holy Spirit's role in inspiration.

Why not stick with the words the Bible uses and be correct instead of trying to persuade people to someting else. Why redefine the accepted definitions for the English language?

From Websters dictionary

inerrancy  n.
    1. lack of error; infallibility.
    2. the belief that the Bible is free from error in matters of science as well as those of faith.

The problem with that definition of inerrancy is that realistically the writers only knew about zero elements and what they possibly knew was earth, wind, and fire.

4. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

There were not any documents presented to Burleson that stated such. As far as the signing the 2000 BFM well he is not required to sign it or to be a trustee. But remaining a trustee and not agreeing to the 2000 BFM is not an option. And as far as your aplication of inerrancy you have misapplied it clearly.

5. 2 Timothy2:1-4

And what the writers knew or did not know is irrelevent. The scriptures were inspired by the Holy Ghost and therefore written by God. God is not limited by knowledge therefore the scriptures nor its penmans were neither with regards to God's revelation of himself.

[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]2Ti 3:16 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

The problem with the liberal justification of their denial is that they always leave God out of the picture.
    [/FONT]

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Absolutely.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Don't always be so sure. The SBC has been known to make exceptions. I am told of a former faculty member who did sign the BF&M 2000 but not without changes on his part and they accepted that.

8. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Without any evidence, this is gossip.

9. SBCPreacher

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then don't. Don't pastor a SBC church. It's that simple. But in the meantime, try not running down the entire SBC.

10. SBCPreacher

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If takes a fair amount of arrogance for you to assume that you know about me or my church.

Is the SBC perfect - no. Far from it. But there still some great churches in the SBC that are preaching the Gospel and leading many to faith in Christ. There are still many Godly pastors in many SBC churches.

And since you would never pastor in a SBC church, why are you getting so bent out of shape over what the SBC does?

#50 SBCPreacher, May 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2007
  11. PastorBrad

PastorBrad New Member

Very simple: He is just trying to cause divisions within the SBC to weaken it. He has withdrawn from the SBC and should keep it that way!

12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

It is hard to disagree with that.

13. csl

csl New Member

SBCPreacher,

I got saved in a SBC church, called to preach in a SBC church attended SEBTS .(17hrs. from receiving degree.) First church I pastored was SBC.I have been invovled in SBC life since I was 7 years old.

I admire and respect men such as Jerry Vines, Adrian Rogers, James Merritt, Johnny Hunt, Al Mohler, Paige Patterson, R.G. Lee, Criswell, and some others. As well as all the other SBC preachers who preach in your average as well as small sized churches.

I hate to see the ole ship go down but liberalism must be defeated not marginalized for the sake of the SBC machine not to implode.
    When dealing with theological liberalism you have to obliterate it from a church or organization or it will only rear up again with a new disguise.

SBCpreacher don't you dare complain of the "politics" of the convention while at the same time reaping the benefits of being a convention pastor. Yeah she (the SBC ) ain't perfect in other words what your saying is yeah we still have churches that have pastors who deny that the Bible is infallible, we still have women pastors even though the BF & M refutes the practice. But you know we have to sacrifice a little leaven in our SBC bread because all in all we ( the SBC) do so much good through the CP. Blah blah blah.

Oil and water cannot mix neither can theological conservatives and theological liberals. Yet the SBC seems to think they can make that happen?

The old school SBcers are getting old. The new breed of SBC pastor has been to indoctrinated with the false view of tolerance and lacks understanding when comes to the importance of standing up for doctrinal purity within a denomination.

How many times have I heard something like this in a SBC meeting of some sort:

"Oh we can set aside some of our doctrinal differences in order to work together for the cause of evangelism".

How warm and fuzzy that sounds yet it reeks of ignorance.

Your doctrine will determine how you evangelize and just what kind of discipleship you will perform.

The proof of that is in the SBC pudding that is before our very eyes.
    Where did all these half cocked pastors and churches come from that have this low opinion of doctrine. Why it came from the fruits of setting aside doctrine for evangelism.

You've got me all wrong SBCpreacher, I would love to see the SBC succeed and it might very well do that but it won't neccesarily be with the hand of God upon her there are just to many libs. hidden in the SBC woodpile.

14. 2 Timothy2:1-4

Ditto!:thumbs:

15. rbell

rbell Active Member

CSL, you've made what...10 posts?

As far as I can tell, you've run down the SBC in every one of 'em. That brings some thoughts to mind...

• There are thousands of SBC churches, and many, many faithful and Godly folks serving God in the SBC.
    • Just because you perceive you've had your cornflakes TT'd in by a few doesn't give you the right to run down an entire denomination.
    • Not every pastor under age 75 is of the devil.
    • Since you aren't SBC, why not focus on where you are, and let God deal with the group to which you don't even belong?
    • I don't know what you're talking about when you refer to "reaping the benefits of being a convention pastor." Last I checked, if there's any benefits for SBC pastors, it's because they've set them aside out of their own income. You seem quite misinformed about this particular issue.

16. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Study Carter...he has drifted away from Baptist doctrine, hasn't he?
    And Clinton? My goodness, no, there is no way what is supported there is under God's guidance.

Debbie Mc

17. SBCPreacher

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are no benefits of being what you call a "convention pastor," whatever that is. I do not pastor in the convention - I pastor in the local church.

I have never once said that we need to compromise on Biblical doctrine. On the contrary, I have said many times from the pulpit of my church that there is no room for compromise on Biblical doctrine.

I think your error is in assuming that all SBC'ers are the same. Making assumptions is always a bad idea.

Again, if you are not part of the SBC, then leave us alone. You probably have enough to worry about in your own denomination. Every one of them has problems of their own.

And one more thing. If any church or denomination succeeds, it will ONLY be because the hand of God is upon it. If we're trying to do this "church thing" on our own, we will fail. It is only by the grace of God that any church is successful in reaching others for Christ. I don't know how you pastor, but I can't do it except for the grace of God.

18. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The problem is not the godly pastors but the ungodliness of the SBC leaders. Aot of the pastors I know would like oyt see the blabbermouths among thre SBC leave and let the pastors get back to work doing what they do best instead trying to keep their church together.

As I look back on the school class I was in while in seminary almost everyone of them have left the SBC. Those are godly men not false teachers.

19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why leave the SBC alone when their leaders are making the national news in which makes other Christians be disgraced by the actions of a few.