1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Categories of Truth We Teach and Preach

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Squire Robertsson, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The idea folks is for you to click on the link. Then you can give a reasoned opinion on the ideas presented. Mind you, this is a "handout". It accompanied the messages linked to in the first thread of this forum.

3. MRCoon

MRCoon New Member

Interesting and does have certain application in reminding us to preach the Gospel according to Christ not our personal convitions or preferences. Though I'm not sure why he had so many items on his list...seemed to be too indepth and added to my confusion because to me it seemed that quite a few of the points were rendundant or so minor in the differences that it became too much info...know what I mean? [​IMG]

4. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think that's a pretty good chart.

5. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

My problem is the common definition that he gives for conviction. Whether one dies for a conviction is not the test, IHMO. We do hold real convictions, I believe, that many would stop short of giving one’s life.

Let me illustrate. Baptism by immersion is a conviction for Baptists, IHMO. However, would you die for it? Felix Mantz did but would you?

David Gibbs popularized the definition of conviction as something you’re willing to die for, I believe. However, I must respectfully differ. He did not carefully think this through and confused the ability to withstand duress with the sincerity and certitude of the belief. Some may die for something out of pigheaded stubbornness and cussedness, not conviction. Many real Christians have recanted their convictions under coercion. Peter, who so wonderfully professed Jesus as the Christ and promised to never desert him, subsequently denied our Lord under the tough circumstances. Which of us can say with certainty that we would not be so weak under the same provocation? Even though Peter publicly denied Christ, we cannot say that he did not simultaneously believe that Jesus was the Messiah. Thus, we cannot say that just because one is not willing to die for the public proclamation of a belief, that it is not a conviction. Conviction has to do with what you believe, not what you necessarily do under duress. The test of conviction is sincerity and genuineness, not the ability to withstand torture and tolerate pain.

6. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paid, I agree with you on the historical position on baptism means immersion and anything else is just getting wet.

And yes many folks (Christian or not) are willing to die out of pigheaded stupidity. However, let's look at the Categories as a broad model to guide our thinking. For an example: I'll go to jail before I knuckle under to a law forbidding believer's immersion. On the other hand, I don't care whether your choir (if any) is robed or not.

How much of the fulminating on this Board comes from folks putting CAT3 matters in CAT1 and further taking action on differences on CAT3 matters in the same manner as they would on CAT1?