1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Catholic Church to ban pop music at Funerals.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Ben W, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

2. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Is that right link??

I think what this is saying, and what is in force in many catholic churches now, is that secular music may not be played in the service proper. Secular songs may be played beforehand if desired.

3. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sorry Charles, for some reason the "Snip" from Snip URL just would not go to the right link, so I have written it out the old fashioned way! [​IMG]

4. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

Actually,

most pop music can not be delivered in good taste in a funeral setting..

I think a total ban is wrong and that musical selections should be screened prior to and during the planning...

Contemporary music that has appropriate lyrics and is in keeping with a 'Farewell' celebration, IMHO, should be allowed...

For instance...

If Jesus tarries and I don't get to fly home to heaven I'd like 'Pomp & Circumstance' (The Graduation March) and 'Friends' (are friends forever) played at my funeral...

Both of which would be inappropriate at the funeral of an unsaved person because they will have niether 'Graduated' from this life nor will they have Friends Forever...

Needless to say songs of the order of Madonna's 'Like A Virgin', etc. would never be appropriate.... :D

5. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

Personally I am not sure I would want any popular music. Not that I am against pop music, although most music considered popular after 1990 really isn't worth listening to. ;) I think I would rather have some good old favorites of mine such as "Thy Strong Word", "I know that my Redeemer lives" and a few others.

In the LCMS we don't have a ban, but in most churches the Pastor has the final say on what can be played at the service because we view a funeral as a worship service in celebration of God's kept promises.

6. mioque

mioque New Member

"Both of which would be inappropriate at the funeral of an unsaved person because they will have niether 'Graduated' from this life nor will they have Friends Forever..."
    "
    Imagine this becoming the law of the land...
    You are saved Bob so playing 'I did it my way' is not an option at your funeral.
    That's for unsaved people only! ;)

7. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

It is a matter of what is appropriate. there was a news item tonight where a toddler drowned in a dam in country Queensland. The parents want to bury the child on the property, again what is appropriate....