1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Catholic or Christian

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Rufus_1611, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Thanks for the kind words. I agree with all that you site and would add that not only is there Judaism in new robes but the old robes are still kicking hard as well and they sure do adore that wicked book.

2. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Do you witness to Catholics or do you walk together as brethren? If you do not judge, then how do you know the difference between friend and foe or brother and lost soul?

3. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

"And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues." - Revelation 18:4

4. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Excellent post.

5. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Another excellent post. Amen!

6. billwald

billwald New Member

"Let's remember that the idea that "Catholics are Christians" is a relatively new idea."

The idea that Protestants may be Christian is much newer. <G>

7. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Absolutely correct. I haven't yet read past this comment, but whoever disagrees is ill-informed.

These kinds of "discussions" are poor witnesses, and an offense to God.

8. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The RCC ADMITS that HER DOCTRINE has them WORSHIPPING a PIECE OF BREAD as though it were God -- IF in fact the heresy that man can turn bread into God -- is not true!

Pastor Larry says that anyone saved in the RCC is lost in spite of this doctrine not because of it.

The RCC says that mankind should NOT go directly to God in prayer but must go through her priests and popes -- Pastor Larry says that if someone in the RCC is saved it is INSPITE of this doctrine not because of it.

The RCC says to use images and idols in worship RATHER than obey the commandment of God forbidding it..-- Pastor Larry says that if someone in the RCC is saved it is INSPITE of this doctrine not because of it.

The RCC says that the people of God are to pray TO THE DEAD in Christ -- no matter what scripture -- (that is GOD's Word in case some are confused on that point) says against it in Isaiah 8:19....-- Pastor Larry says that if someone in the RCC is saved it is INSPITE of this doctrine not because of it.

While I am the first to say that Catholics are Christian and many are saved I also say that the one's lost were were in many cases shepherded to that lost state and held blindly in that lost state by the false doctrines of the church. I agree with Pastor Larry that the many RC members SAVED today are SAVED in SPITE of the false doctrines leading to perdition.

In Christ,

Bob

#28 BobRyan, Jan 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2007
  9. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The real funny part of that is that you can go to RC message boards and see RC members themselves claiming they are "Catholic not Christian".

But here of course - that would be a "bad thing" for them to admit to...

10. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Evdence, please. Context is important as well.
    [ad hominem removed]

#30 tragic_pizza, Jan 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2007
  11. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Ms. Pizza,

Perhaps you missed the OP...

I'd be delighted to hear your thoughts on these questions since you are such an outspoken defender of the Catholic faith.

12. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

You got the gender wrong, Ms. Rufus.

What keeps me from being Catholic is that I follow Reformed theology. There are parts of Catholicism I am not completely comfortable with, but not nearly as many as are in the Baptist faith.

13. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

If you are reformed then why don't you follow the reformers?

“I feel much freer now that I am certain the pope is the Antichrist” - Martin Luther

"We here are of the conviction that the papacy is the seat of the true and real Antichrist...personally I declare that I owe the Pope no other obedience than that to Antichrist." - Martin Luther

"Some persons think us too severe and censorious when we call the Roman pontiff Antichrist. But those who are of this opinion do not consider that they bring the same charge of presumption against Paul himself, after whom we speak and whose language we adopt... I shall briefly show that (Paul's words in II Thess. 2) are not capable of any other interpretation than that which applies them to the Papacy." - John Calvin​

If you agree that the pope is antichrist or The Antichrist then how can anti-christ lead a pro-christ religion?

If you disagree that the pope is antichrist then how is it that the fathers of the reformation were wrong and you're right?

14. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Because I take the Reformation seriously, not just the polemic.

15. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

You don't follow the reformers because you take the reformation seriously and you don't take the controversial parts seriously?

Is the pope antichrist or the Antichrist?

16. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Niether, as far as I know.

You are, I see, unfamiliar with the Calvin's motto: "Reformed and ever reforming." Thus just because Calvin said something five hundred years ago doesn't mean the Reformed tradition maintains that statement.

Rufus, is it OK by God to hate people?

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The pope is called the "vicar of Christ" is he not? That means "substitute for Christ", hardly making Christ the head of the RCC.

18. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Of course, reformed theology is much broader than agreeing with quote from Calvin and Luther. But thanks for trying.

19. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

It would sound like you are reforming your way right back to the whore the reformers left.

By God it is.

"And I hated Esau, and laid his mountains and his heritage waste for the dragons of the wilderness." - Malachi 1:3

What does your question have to do with our topic?

20. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

It's OK for God to hate, yes, but is it OK with God for you to spew so much hatred at Catholic people?