1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Catholics and the democratic party

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Ps104_33, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

An excerpt from a recent article:

"In both 1996 and 1998, Democrats won the Catholic swing vote. In the presidential election of 1996, Democrats won 54% of the Catholic vote while Republicans received 46%. We believe that in 2000, we will once again earn the Catholic vote because we champion the issues Catholic-Americans are committed to."

It astounds me that the Democratic party continues to get the Roman Catholic vote despite the fact that they are for homosexual marriage and abortion. There are some pro-choice Republicans but as a whole they are against it.

As a Catholic, which party do you think best reflects your religious views?

I know that the Catholic church doesnt take sides politically, but dont you think its about time Teddy Kennedy was excommunicated?

2. LaRae

LaRae Guest

Ted Kennedy has excommunicated himself (as do other Catholics who are pro-abortion etc).

I don't vote party, am not registered to any party....I vote person and the more conservative ones as a usual rule.

LaRae

3. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

But can you tell me why the democratic party continues to get the catholic vote? The Evangelical Christian right tends to be a voting block for the republican party mainly for the pro-life stand and less government. The Catholic Church, which tends to a social gospel, would lean toward the Democratic party for its "cradle to grave" social programs. Are Catholics in general just indifferent?

4. Harley4Him

Harley4Him New Member

Probably because for much of the late 19th and early 20th century many in the republican party were openly and blatantly anti-catholic. Some republican congressman even signed their letters with "THWTP" under their names. It means, "To Hell With The Pope." Of course if you knew any religious American history you would know this. Catholics in general aren't indifferent; anti-catholics like you just tend to get upset when they're politically active.

5. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Hey Harley'

THWTP!!! :D :D [​IMG]

6. Harley4Him

Harley4Him New Member

To Hell With The PS104? If you feel headed in that direction, go for it!

7. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

Enough with the disrespect. Both of you! Stop it now! Go cool off.

Ps104, did you ever think to why voting booths are private? I don't think anyone should answer your question as to who they vote for. I doubt though that any Catholic votes democratic because they are pro-abortion.

8. LaRae

LaRae Guest

The reason that some Catholics vote deomcrat is becaues of the social justice issues. In case you hadn't noticed the CC is very proactive when it comes to these areas....and generally the Democrats tend to be more involved in them as well.

LaRae

9. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

If Protestants and Catholics vote for a pro-choice which usually mans 'pro-abortion' candidate, they are placing their politics above Christ. And from this one must come to the conclusion that their faith doesn't mean very much to them.

A vote for pro-choice is a vote for killing the unborn soul of the infant. Some say yes, but there are other political issues to consider.

That would be like saying that Hitler was not too bad by killing Israelites and homosexuals, because, after all, he was a good organizer, loved the German children and thought well of his homeland Germany.

10. rbrent

rbrent New Member

What church was Hitler a member of?

Did his church ever excommunicate him for his genocide and war crimes?

Is he the same Hitler who signed a Concordat with the Holy See about 1933?

11. Harley4Him

Harley4Him New Member

He was raised catholic, like some of the baptists on this board.

12. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There are many reasons for voting for pro-abortion platforms and it is interesting to see some of our RCC bretheren here educating us on what that might be.

Certainly there is "some reason" for the majority RC vote going to pro-abortion platforms.

In Christ,

Bob

13. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

Is every democratic running for office pro-abortion? Why is this the sole issue that should be wieghed when deciding who to vote for? What if a republican is anti-abortion but hates Jews and promotes violence against their group?

14. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Wow! I completely missed that "platform" in the last 8 presidential elections.

Or did you mean to argue "IF we can construe fictional reasons for voting against any repulican president then that justifies REAL statistics for consistent RC voting in favor of pro-abortion platforms in presidential elections".

Surely there is "one" RC on this board that is NOT pro-abortion and that "can allow themselves to see" that the RC vote in America is overwhelmingly for pro-abortion candidates.

So what is the "argument" that "trumps the abortion question" so that "the MAJORITY" of RCs have no problem voting for that platform as long as is it gets them the "even higher value" of ... what?

In Christ,

Bob

15. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

Bob, I concede. You have successfully attacked my sarcasm and shown it to be false. :eek: :rolleyes:

16. Harley4Him

Harley4Him New Member

9 of 10 black protestants voted for Gore.

17. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Every now and then Harley posts something that he claims to be a fact.

Harley - would you consider giving your "source" in those rare cases?

In Christ,

Bob

18. Harley4Him

Harley4Him New Member

Source

Would you have less problem with the facts I bring up, Bob, if Ellen White had predicted them? Or is it just hard to believe that I know things you don't?

19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Harley - to date you have been very hard pressed to establish a single point of fact. You seem content to whine and rant - without actually "saying anything".

I had hoped that given enough time - you would say something that "had substance" and (now imagine this) actually had "a source".

I guess your recent attempt "wasn't it" so - continue the ranting instead :rolleyes: [​IMG]

In Christ,

Bob

20. Harley4Him

Harley4Him New Member

I didn't realize that posting voting statistics in a thread about voting statistics was ranting.

Ummm, errr, ummm ... how to say this? Try clicking on the word "Source" in my post and it will take you straight to a source.

oooooooooh-kay. (hint: try clicking the word Source in my post. You asked for a Source. There it is.)

BTW - would it be ranting if Ellen White predicted that 9 of 10 black protestants would vote for Gore?