1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Catholics, and the Eucharist.

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Joshua Patrick, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

hi Joshua...I'm an Orthodox Christian been through a year of Orthodox Catechesis and also took all the classes required to become a Roman Catholic through RCIA...

as an Orthodox Christian we to hold to the real presence, but let me ask you this question...

In the Roman Catholic Church, who effects the Sacraments...is it the priest or the Holy Spirit?

2. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I got this from a Catholic site.

3. Joshua Patrick

Joshua Patrick New Member

The Catholic Church is not a denomination, therefore I cannot class it as a denomination.

" - Big claims, yet you provide no theological discussion, nor attempt to counter the claims I put across, but present yourself in a negative manner, using primitive words and insulting me by claiming "the RCC faith is quite unfounded and false.".

God Bless.

4. Joshua Patrick

I know what Orthodox Christians teach, your even more devoutly honoured to the blessed mother, than Catholics!" :)

The Holy Catholic Church, class the Orthodox Church, as the "right lung of Christianity".

Talks are being very successful between, the Patriarch's and the Pope, for our Church to combined back into one. These are very exciting times, the Holy Spirit is truly at work! The Patriarch of Bulgaria, as already come back into union with the Seat of Peter! :)

The priest, calls down the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit, changes them into the flesh and blood of Christ.

God Bless Brother!

5. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

The question was asked earlier why, as a catholic you joined a baptist board. I may have missed you answer, but I to am curious what is your motive for joining and posting here?

6. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

Hmmm-Just curious, would you ask the same question of a Methodist, Presbyterian, etc. joining this board? Why so much paranoia over a Catholic? Why is it only Catholics are presumed to be here to proselytize and not to be here to defend their faith? It is a big assumption. Webdog already insists that Joshua is here to proselytize and is jumping to a conclusion without any basis for it.

#66 lori4dogs, Oct 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2010
  7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Because Catholics and Baptist believe different things - and this is a Baptist board.

8. Joshua Patrick

I have a passion for apologetics. Also we are called to spread the truth's of the Gospel. Afterall the Bible is a product of the Catholic Church, we did create the bible. Therefore it is a rightful duty to, interpret the bible, and preach what the Apostle's and the early Christians taught.

I also class myself as abit of a theologian, I'm debating to take it up in University next year, or do Computer Science. I like to see other people's views on certain area's, so far nobody as shown me, why baptist do not believe in the real presence of the Eucharist.

God Bless.

9. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I am not paranoid at all, just curious as to the true motive. I wouldn't think it would be such a big deal to give an honest answer to a direct question.

As far as would I ask it of a Methodist etc.., well probably no. I might be wrong here as I am not an expert on this site and all of the rules, but I get the impression from other posts that it is against the rules for a catholic to join. If that is the rule, it naturally raises the question, I asked doesn't it?

Now I don't know the reason behind the rule, and I am not even sure I would agree with such a rule without knowing the reasoning behind, it, but that it another question entirely.

10. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Thank you for your reply.

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The Bible is not a product of the RCC. That myth is as far from the truth as one can get.

12. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

So do Methodists, Presbyterians, Lutherans, etc.

13. targus

targus New Member

As far as I can tell - it is an unpublished rule that Catholics are not permitted to join.

I think that this sort of problem could be avoided if the no Catholic rule were to be posted on the registration page.

What is the point in hiding the fact that Catholics are not welcome here?

#73 targus, Oct 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2010
  14. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

Lots of people seem to be dodging the question. "Why don't Baptist believe in the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist.?"

15. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

This question comes up time and time again. Don't expect a clear answer.
    Non-Christians are allowed to come to this board and join, but not Catholics. Go figure!

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Not in the foundations. Before we attended this church, we were Presbyterians and my husband was an elder on the Session. Before that - before we were married - he was Methodist.

But if anyone from those denominations came here joining, I would be happy to ask the same question. When I was Presbyterian, I'd definitely identify just about completely with the Baptist church - except we did baptize infants (but not as a sacrament but more as a dedication of the child and the child would have to participate in believer's baptism when they were saved). So I would have been happy to say "I joined here because I believe the same as you and would like fellowship and such."

17. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

I've never heard of a Presbyterian church that did not baptize infants as a sacrament and did so as a dedication only to re-baptize them later as an adult. What Presbyterian synod does that? Just curious.

18. Joshua Patrick

Hello friend! :wavey:

For the first 300 years of Christianity, there was no Bible as we know it today.

Christians had the Old Testament Septuagint, and literally hundreds of other books from which to choose. The Catholic Church realized early on that she had to decide which of these books were inspired and which ones weren't.

Several Church Councils or Synods, were convened to deal with the matter, notably, Rome in 382, Hippo in 393, and Carthage in 397 and 419.

He debates sometimes became bitter on both sides. One of the most famous was between St. Jerome, who felt the seven books were not canonical, and St. Augustine who said they were.

There are always three sides to every story, this side, that side, and the side of truth. Whether Jerome's position, or Augustine's position was the correct position, had to be settled by a third party, and that third party was the Catholic Church.

The Pope stepped in to settle the matter. In concurrence with the opinion of St. Augustine, and being prompted by the Holy Spirit, Pope St. Damasus I, at the Council of Rome in 382, issued a decree appropriately called, "The Decree of Damasus", in which he listed the canonical books of both the Old and New Testaments. He then asked St. Jerome to use this canon and to write a new Bible translation which included an Old Testament of 46 books, which were all in the Septuagint, and a New Testament of 27 books.

Rome had spoken, the issue was settled.

St. Jerome acquiesced under obedience (Hebrews 13:17) and began the translation, and completed it in 404 A.D.. In 405, his new Latin Vulgate* was published for the first time.

A full explanation of the history of the bible, and how it was compiled is here;

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080928064041AATOZUD

If you have another idea, how the bible was compiled, please feel free.

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, I see that the discussion is done. :wavey:

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anne .... I would have to agree with Lori on this one. I was a Presbyterian & we always followed the Westminster confessions of Faith....even PC USA follows it. Are you now Reformed Baptists?