1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Catholics, Protestants, Baptists

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Rebel, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The article is complete rubbish from start to finish. The author (who is he?) selectively quotes from the Bible and leaves out all the verses that so clearly point to Penal Substitution. He also has not read the Church fathers properly or he would not make such sweeping statements which are easily refuted merely by quoting them.

Here are a few extracts from the Church fathers. Let me say that I do not regard the Fathers as being authorities on doctrine. In my reading of them I find that they contradict themselves and each other pretty regularly. The Bible is our only authority. I give these extracts purely to refute these false claims that PSA was unknown until the Reformers.

First John Chrysostom. In his Homilies on 2 Corinthians, he illustrates his point with the analogy of a king who takes pity on a miserable, condemned criminal. The king gives his only son to receive the guilt and punishment of the criminal, and then exalts the criminal to a place of dignity. Chrysostom argues that the criminal would be overwhelmed with gratitude and would do anything rather than upset the king who had treated him so badly. The he comes to application:

'If one that was himself a king, beholding a robber and malefactor under punishment, gave his well-beloved son, his only-begotten and true, to be slain, and transferred the death and guilt as well, from him to his son (who was himself of no such character), that he might both save the condemned man and clear him from his evil reputation; and if then, having subsequently promoted him to great dignity, he had yet, after thus saving him and advancing him to that glory unspeakable, been outraged by the person that had received such treatment: would not that man, if he had any sense, have chosen 10.000 deaths rather than appear guilty of so great an ingratitude? Then let us also now consider with ourselves, and groan bitterly for the provisions we have offered our Benefactor; nor let us presume, because though outraged He bears it with longsuffering; but rather for that reason be full of remorse.'

Note that Chrysostom is not trying to expound the doctrine of Penal Substitution; he assumes it as part of his illustration of another point. Therefore PSA must have been familiar to his readers or they would not have understood his meaning.

Now Augustine of Hippo. This is from Against Faustus, Bk. 14, sect. 3.

'But as Christ endured death as man and for man; so also, Son of God as He was, ever living in His own righteousness, but dying for our offences, He submitted as man, and for man, to bear that curse which accompanies death. And as He died in the flesh which He took in taking our punishment, so also, while ever blessed in His own righteousness, He was cursed for our offences, in the death that He suffered in bearing our punishment.'

That should be clear enough for anyone.

Now Pope Gregory the 'Great,' Morals on the Book of Job, Vol. 1, speaking on Job 2:3:

'And of him is it rightly added, 'without cause.' For He was destroyed without cause who was at once weighed to the earth by the avenging of sin, and not defiled by the pollution of sin. He was 'destroyed without a cause,' who, being made incarnate, had no sins of His own, and yet being without offense took upon Himself the punishment of the carnal.'

Gregory emphasizes our Lord's innocence, and explains His suffering on the grounds that He 'took upon Himself the punishment of the carnal. This is obviously Penal Substitution.

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It sounds like you are advocating either Christus Victor theory of atonement or Ransom theory in general (I.e., purchase of mankind .... Not all Ransom theories supposed a party to receive payment). Either way or "in between," these groupings as theory ate not original to the topic. Either way your view is not heresy (and obviously many ECF's expressed the position), which I suppose you know. PST is not a test of orthodoxy and it has never been the only view of the Cross. I believe you are correct in that it did not exist as a developed theory until the Reformation, and I view your arguments compelling (much truth in that article, it echos what historical theology teaches). Still, antiquity doesn't prove correct doctrine.

#42 JonC, Jan 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  3. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, JonC,
    You asked me to find some extracts from the Church fathers with the word 'punishment' in them. I hope that you've observed that all three of my quotations contain that. Biggrin

• Like Like x 2
  4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did see them, brother. You chose two that I am not very familiar with in regards to their works (I am Augustine, but not very much with Chrysostom and very little with Gregory) ....that's sneaky Laugh.

I will of course read their works when I get a chance. I think it worth repeating that I do believe both punishment and substitution to be inherent in all theories of atonement, but like Rebel I lean against today's focus of Penal Substitution. It is not that I believe Jesus did not experience in the flesh the punishment that man deserves, and certainly not that I reject Jesus doing so in our place (I believe this inherent in the word "atoning sacrifice." But it is the framework of the theory and how it is reasoned out (what it incorporates) that I find disagreeable. Penal Substitution is not Christ becoming man and suffering in the flesh the punishment of man as our substitute and for our redemption. Just about all theories believe that. My question of PST is the philosophy and theories that put all of that together as PST.

So, thank you for the references. I am comfortable enough with Augustine to say that he did not hold to Penal Substitution Theory but I will look at aspects that you present as being penal and substitution. Insofar as the other two, I have read of them but I have not read their works. So I have some homework to do. Thanks again for bringing this to my attention.

#44 JonC, Jan 16, 2016
  5. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well in the light of the quotation that I've given, perhaps you need to consider this question anew.
    The fact is that the Church fathers didn't give a great deal of time to the atonement. They were more concerned with battling Marcionites and Arians. When they do speak on the subject, they hold various theories, and none of them are necessarily wrong. The idea of a ransom is biblical; Christ did rise victorious from the grave and is therefore Victor; the atonement should certainly have a moral influence over us (Chrysostom is making that very point in the extract I posted). But these theories must come under the overarching truth of Penal Substitution. I suggest to you that since no one contemporary writes to contradict the words that I have quoted of various Church fathers, the reason must be that PSA was accepted as truth by all of them. Why wouldn't it be? It is plain enough in the Scriptures.

BTW, "atoning sacrifice" is two words, not one. Tongue

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Frown It is two words...even in American English....you are right.

I understand that much of this argument is subjective. We look at the early church and realize that they are working out theology but also responding to circumstances which affect their priorities. I also think that this was what was going on in the Reformation as well.

But you have a good point regarding these theories and differences in theories being relevant to issues concerning each generation. Another example is the extent of the atonement. Many have pointed out that this is a later development within Reform thought (and they are right here). Calvin did not believe in limited atonement. BUT the scope of the atonement was a post-Calvin issue. It would be unfair to form hypothetical conclusions for Calvin has he been alive when the topic was introduced. It may be just as unfair to do so with the Early Church Fathers.

I don't think that we can prove a point by looking at the writings of the ECF's, except that what is orthodox within Christianity is not as narrow as the views each of us would hold personally. I do believe that we are highly influenced by the Enlightenment and a reliance on reasoning out a system within which the atonement should occur, and I am not sure that this forms the best framework for understanding the Cross. This is an interesting topic (I am working on a study to look, piece by piece, at aspects of the atonement via Scripture alone (don't worry, I won't subject you to that process....but I may ask your opinion from time to time).

There are contemporary writers that contradict your interpretation of the early church writers (in terms of holding a theory that is close to Penal Substitution Theory). These include Paul Enns (Moody Handbook of Theology), J.I. Packer (The Logic of Penal Substitution), Millard Erickson (Christian Theology), Louis Berkhof (Systematic Theology), Leonard Sweet (Cross & Covenant), Adam Johnson (Atonement), Denny Weaver (The Nonviolent Atonement), Robert Hutchinson (Searching for Jesus), N.T. Wright (Atonement at Ground Zero), just to name a few).

But.....maybe all of those theories, including Penal Substitution, come under the overreaching truth of Irenaeus' Recapitulation theory. Biggrin

#46 JonC, Jan 16, 2016
  7. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah! I didn't make myself clear. By 'contemporary,' I meant contemporary to the Church fathers I have quoted. Sorry!

• Like Like x 1
  8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oops....sorry for misreading the post. I would then bring up Origen (even though I disagree with his theory) and Irenaeus (I do find merit in his theory) just as two different views to add to the two I quoted previously.

#48 JonC, Jan 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  9. LK1234

LK1234 New Member

If it is penal and substitution then it would it not be penal substitution atonement? I do not see the difference in what you are suggesting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Penal Substitution Atonement is more than Jesus dying as a substitute for man and taking on the punishment for the sinfulness of mankind.

It follows a specific philosophy that was not worked out for centuries. Think of it. I commit an evil act, so I incur a sin debt. That sin debt must be collected (not the guilty be punished, or the stain be removed but an actual debt owed to God that must be collected). So to save me God punishes Jesus with my punishment for my sinful act thereby satisfying divine justice (justice demands satisfaction, the just can punish the innocent as a substitute for the guilty as long as that judgment is executed to clear the debt). I hope you see the several philosophies that are presupposed in what I just presented. First there is the overriding sense of divine justice. God can forgive a debt only after it is paid in full. Second, this motif if justice looks very much like Aquinas' theories refined and changed from penance/merit to punishment/wrath. This looks more like 16th-17th rationalizing than 1st century worldview.

It is not Scripture but philosophy were we disagree. And most will not look objectively at their theories to even consider reevaluating their view or honestly rejecting other views.

#50 JonC, Jan 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  11. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes denying that Jesus died to pay the wage for our sin is heresy.

• Like Like x 1
  12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't realize anyone was denying that. But yes, denying that Christ paid the wages of our sin is heresy. We were purchased with a price, and Peter tells us this price was the precious blood if Christ. What I was speaking of was penal substitution theory. Like other views, PST does NOT deny that Christ paid the wages of man's sin (I don't think that any main theories do).

13. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is because his post was removed after it was reported. Such heresy is not allowed on this site.

• Like Like x 1
  14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ahhhh....I wondered (at first I thought you mistook my comments as such). Thanks for clarifying Rev.

15. LK1234

LK1234 New Member

I don't know we throw out the baby with the bathwater but you do have a point with the philosophy. Your outline is how atonement is taught and it is not scripture. It is "new" as a theory compared to some of the others. That does not mean that it is wrong or that it has nothing to point out. It came about through centuries of experience and thought.

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We don't throw out the baby with the bathwater, but we don't just try to condition the water either. We go back to the well and draw anew.

17. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have thought this. If one agrees that it quacks, has feathers, webbed feet and a beak, why keep on denying that it's a duck?

18. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    '.....Among whom also we all one conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh.......and were by nature children of wrath' (Eph. 2:3).
    'Therefore, brethren, we are debtors' (Rom. 8:12).
    'Whom God set forth as a propitiation, by His blood, through faith, to demonstrate His righteousness......to demonstrate at the present time His righteousness, that He might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus' (Rom. 3:25-26).

'.......Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgressions and sin, by no means clearing the guilty' (Exod. 34:7). "Assuredly, I say to you, you will by no means get out of there until you have paid the very last penny' (Matt. 5:26).
    The Lord Jesus Christ does not have a '1st Century worldview.' Jon, I love you dearly in the Lord, and it is for that very reason that I tell you, it is your philosophy that is keeping you from accepting the clear Biblical teaching of PSA.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

JonC I must agree with Scriptures and what MM has readily supplied as well against your theories. You've accused Calvinists (so-called) of getting their teachings from books, a man, of only having a theoretical theology (in so many words you've laid this charge) and of not getting their teachings from Scripture. It is an agenda of yours, you say it often enough with no valid proof, thus it only comes across as a smear. You would not fare well at all in a real debate with any of these brothers worth their salt to defend their position with Scripture. Several here have taken you to task over it. This accusation of yours is so untrue it is not worthy of addressing any longer and you are maligning many brothers on here with that attitude and false accusations.

Jonc it is apparent that it is you who are holding to theory above Scripture, rarely do you exegete or use it here. It is seen thread after thread, and as much as you have told me your contempt for me (odd behavior for a professing believer) I say the above to you sincerely as it is true.

• Like Like x 1
  20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother Martin,

I need to point out that I do believe those passages. Throughout history those who have held other views regarding the Atonement believed those passages. People like N.T. Wright, T.F. Torrance, Denny Weaver and many others today believe those passages but do not necessarily hold the same view as each other or you. So it is not a matter of accepting or rejecting Scripture. It is a matter of accepting or rejecting an explanation of Scripture.

I know that you are not accusing me of denying Scripture here, brother, but instead of not interpreting it correctly. I just wanted to point out that difference and remind you that I did hold strictly to PSA for decades so I understand your arguments and the reasons of your posts. Like I said earlier, I am also not denying PSA as much as I am working through the position to see what is interpretation and what is Scripture. Theology itself incorporates philosophy and reason, and theories of atonement are theological. There is no harm in questioning our theories by putting them again to Scripture.

To illustrate one point here, brother. You rightly point out that we incur a sin debt. But it is interpretation to say this is a debt that must be collected in terms of focusing on the debt apart from the debtor (that God looks, in a sense, at what is owed him and demands payment in full regardless of who makes the payment). What I am talking about is the structure of interpretation here.

But I appreciate your comments. I understand your position because it was once my own. I fear that I have inadequately explained what I am looking at or dealing with as it does not appear you understand my position at this time and I apologize for my failure to articulate here what I am examining. But I am not denying that we have earned those wages of sin, that Jesus bought us with a price, that He bore our sins, and all that atonement entails. I am questioning some of the reasons that are not within the text and that have never formed the bounds of orthodoxy.

Thank you for the passages.

#60 JonC, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2016