1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cato on Governors; Fred: Huckabee a "Pro-Life Liberal"

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by TomVols, Nov 9, 2007.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/news.php?viewStory=57977

What I find interesting is that in the Knoxville paper, it notes that while Cato gives Huckabee low marks, it gives TN gov Phil Bredesen very high marks, the 4th highest mark in 2006 according to Cato's website. But he's a man who has increased state govt salaries, increased the gelt thrown at Titans owner Bud Adams, sponsored the Cover TN program, a scaled down state-run healthcare program which also aids illegals, and has proposed numerous tax increases and a state income tax.
    What the heck is the Cato Institute thinking? :tonofbricks:

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here ya go:

www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa581.pdf

Governor Bredesen is talked about on page 36.

Tennessee

Phil Bredesen, Democrat Legislature: Divided
    First-Term Grade: B

A businessman who made his millions in the health care industry, Phil Bredesen continually
    reminded people of his opposition to a
    state income tax throughout his term. Instead,
    Bredesen’s crusade was going to be budget
    restraint. He started out his term in bold fashion
    by declining to draw the governor’s
    $85,000-a-year salary. Bredesen’s headliner
    proposal was his plan to control costs in the
    state-run health program, the outrageously
    expensive TennCare, which consumed nearly
    one-third of the state budget at the time. He
    was able to remove all non-Medicaid-eligible
    adults and put strict limits on prescription
    drugs and doctor visits. What has hurt
    Bredesen’s grade lately is his inability to control
    spending in the budget overall. State
    spending has grown by an annual average of
    5.5 percent in real per capita terms the past
    two years. When a $272 million budget surplus
    materialized, Bredesen and the legislature
    conspired to spend it on bigger government,
    including more money for TennCare. As
    Bredesen’s first term comes to a close, he can
    brag about keeping Tennessee in the ranks of​
    the lowest-taxed states in the nation.

#2 KenH, Nov 9, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Well, some of that is partially true.

Bredesen did decline the govenor's salary. However, with his 9 digit net worth from his days as a HMO CEO, that's hardly impressive. And he raised the govenor's pay for his second term, along with a cadre of other offices for his political cronies. He tapped a friend to run the Tenn lottery at a $750,000 per year govt salary. When the legislature tried to cut that in half, he raged.

He did initiate cuts in TennCare. Illegals and many undeserveds got to keep it. Working families, children, etc., lost it. You can still get bariatric surgery paid for by TennCare but not your required heart meds. Interesting.....anyway, Enter CoverTN for children, which is TennCare 2.0 as one publication referred to it. It hasn't been on long enough to see the costs.

He has proposed increasing the sales tax, increasing the tax on tobacco, opposed removing the tax on food, and has proposed raising the Hall tax and has spoken in favor of an income tax.

Even with Tennessee's 9.25 sales tax, our real tax rate is quite low thanks to no state income tax. And with a legislature that is not compliant in his second term, Bredesen will not get his income tax (it would appear).

Interestingly, Bredesen was supposedly being courted by the Dems to run for president or be a Veep candidate. I would argue Bredesen did some decent things, but he's not worthy of high marks as being fiscally sound and his ethical morass in his handling of the THP treads near what Ernie Fletcher got into in KY but it never got the outcry it should have.

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Oh...in the same interview, Thompson attacked Rudy on gun control. Forgot to put that one in there.

5. leesw

leesw Member

This is crazy. Huckabee is extremely strong against abortion! He is Prolife to the Nth degree!

Look here to see his record on it: http://www.mikehuckabee.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Issues.View&Issue_id=11

Here is what it says, with quotes from Huckabee:
    • "I support and have always supported passage of a constitutional amendment to protect the right to life. My convictions regarding the sanctity of life have always been clear and consistent, without equivocation or wavering. I believe that Roe v. Wade should be over-turned.
    • I applaud the Supreme Court's recent decision in Gonzales v. Cathcart forbidding the gruesome practice of partial birth abortion. While I am optimistic that we are turning the tide in favor of life, we still have many battles ahead of us to protect those who cannot protect themselves, and so it is vital that we elect a pro-life President.
    • I first became politically active because of abortion, when I helped pass Arkansas' Unborn Child Amendment, which requires the state to do whatever it legally can to protect life.
    • As Governor, I did all I could to protect life. The many pro-life laws I got through my Democrat legislature are the accomplishments that give me the most pride and personal satisfaction.
    • To me, life doesn't begin at conception and end at birth. Every child deserves a quality education, first-rate health care, decent housing in a safe neighborhood, and clean air and drinking water. Every child deserves the opportunity to discover and use his God-given gifts and talents.
    • I believe in using existing stem cell lines for research, but I do not believe in creating life for the sole purpose of destroying it.
    I support and have always supported passage of a constitutional amendment to protect the right to life. As President, I will fight for passage of this amendment. My convictions regarding the sanctity of life have always been clear and consistent, without equivocation or wavering.

I believe that Roe v. Wade should be over-turned.

I applaud the Supreme Court's recent decision in Gonzales v. Cathcart forbidding the gruesome practice of partial birth abortion. While I am optimistic that we are turning the tide in favor of life, we still have many battles ahead of us to protect those who cannot protect themselves, and so it is vital that we elect a pro-life President.

No candidate has a stronger record on the sanctity of life than I do. I have always been actively and aggressively pro-life. I first became politically active when I helped pass Arkansas' Unborn Child Amendment, which requires the state to do whatever it can to protect life.

As Governor, I used that Amendment to pass pro-life legislation. The many pro-life laws I got through my Democrat legislature are the accomplishments that give me the most pride and personal satisfaction. I banned partial birth abortion, I required parental notification, I required that a woman give informed consent before having an abortion, I required that a woman be told her baby will experience pain and be given the option of anesthesia for her baby, I allowed a woman to have her baby and leave the child safely at a hospital, and I made it a crime for an unborn child to be injured or murdered during an attack on his mother.

What I accomplished as Governor proves that there is a lot more that a pro-life President can do than wait for a Supreme Court vacancy, and I will do everything I can to promote a pro-life agenda and pass pro-life legislation. If I'm saddled with a Democrat Congress, I'll veto any pro-abortion legislation they pass. I will staff all relevant positions with pro-life appointees. I will use the bully pulpit to change hearts and minds. I have no desire to throw women in jail, I just want us to stop throwing babies in the garbage."

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Other than being pro-life Huckabee was just plum awful as the governor of my state. He was soft on crime. He was a tax raiser. He wanted to give my tax money as college scholarships to the children of illegal aliens.

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Similar resume (save for abortion) yet he gets lower marks from Cato than Bredesen. I just can't figure that out. Maybe Huckabee stole the girlfriend from someone at Cato, or Phil has some cousins working at Cato (doubtful).