1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cause and Effect/Conditions of Salvation

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Heavenly Pilgrim, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

HP said "God being Sovereign can do that……or is this yet one other thing a Sovereign God cannot do"
    Can a Soverign God lie? Shall NEVER perish?

2. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: I am not avoiding anything. I simply was not thinking of that text when I posted. I was right about the text I had in mind, and as I recall you never posted a reference anyway. If you desire to be understood correctly, post a specific reference next time. It you desire to address that issue in particular, start a thread concerning it. If you want to discuss the issue at hand on this thread, address the questions and subject of the OP.

Tell us JK, are there any conditions to salvation?

3. Heavenly Pilgrim

No, God cannot lie, but He can breach or revoke a promise without lying.

4. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

Well I thought you knew your Bible well enough for me not to post scripture reference. My Bad!:laugh: DHK did post it right after so you would not get confused.....so whats the problem? I see you might need to meditate on it "John 10:28" and see if you might change your view before you change your tactic!

#44 Jedi Knight, Apr 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2010
  5. Heavenly Pilgrim

Tell us JK, are there any conditions to salvation?

6. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

I am waiting for you to give a "right" answer for you incorrect answer from before. Please don't ask if you cannot finish what you started.:smilewinkgrin:

7. Heavenly Pilgrim

JK, I told you the verse that came to mind when you said what you said, I recognized that you quoted the verse you say you had in mind correctly, I said I was sorry. Now if that is not good enough for you I know not what could be. This discussion is about conditions of salvation primarily, and if you have nothing to offer concerning the topic of the OP or are ashamed or afraid to do so, find a thread that wets your whistle.

Are there any conditions to salvation JK?

8. Heavenly Pilgrim

DHK has been one in the past to make the claim that salvation has no conditions. DHK also tells us we need to accept the gift of salvation. Tell us DHK why acceptance of a gift is not a condition of receiving it? Could it be that in reality you believe our acceptance or rejection has nothing whatsoever to do with salvation?

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

No. God does not break His covenants.

10. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Oh "good" we get to look at the Bible talking about forgiveness revoked.

Matt 18
    32 ""Then summoning him, his lord said to him, "You wicked slave, I forgave you all that debt because you pleaded with me.
    33 " Should you not also have had mercy on your fellow slave,
    in the same way that I had mercy on you?'
    34 ""And his lord, moved with anger, handed him over to the torturers until
    he should repay all that was owed him.

My friends - Bible study just does not get any easier than that!

in Christ,

Bob

11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If God KNEW Lucifer would fall and become the devil - would God have made Lucifer a "robot" instead?

Are you sure you thought that one through??

in Christ,

Bob

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Indeed - unconditional election turns into "arbitrary selection" :laugh:

But so much for the traditions of man.

in Romans 2:11-13 we are told that "God is not partial" to one human vs another. No "abritrary selection" with God!!

Matt 23 "How I WANTED to save your children... but YOU would not!"

2 Pet 3 "God is not willing for ANY to perish but for ALL to come to repentance".

John 12:32 Christ "DRAWS ALL" unto Him!

1John 2:2 - Christ "is the Atoning Sacrifice for OUR sins and not for OUR sins only but for the sins of the WHOLE WORLD"

in Christ,

Bob

#52 BobRyan, Apr 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2010
  13. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Depends on the version.

KJV....For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

NLT....
    "For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.

NIV...“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son,* that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

ESV...“For God so loved the world,* that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

NASB.....
    "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.

ASV...
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth on him should not perish, but have eternal life.

The point remains that you said there was a distinct difference. Care to explain this distinct difference?

Now you are in a pickle!

:jesus:

14. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am on my chess game :thumbs:

Just waiting for your answer (Hint: asking a question is not answering a question)

Care to answer?

If you knew by allowing your child to ride the bike your child would be killed, would you still allow your child to ride the bike?

:jesus:

15. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: If a frog had wings he wouldn’t bump his rear every time he jumps. You are asking a stupid question for our foreknowledge is not infinite. Besides. riding a bicycle was not the goal of God creating man Steaver. Since your question involves absolute infinite foreknowledge, you need to reserve such questions for God.

By the way, are you suggesting that if God knew Satan and man would fall He would not or should not have created man or Satan? Why don’t you answer your own question for the list so we can gain from your superior insight? If you do not have an answer for your question to us and my question to you, what is your point?

16. billwald

billwald New Member

>Indeed - unconditional election turns into "arbitrary selection"

Does it matter if the null position is "elect?" and people must opt out to avoid their being saved? In other words, is there any theological implication to the statement of Lot's wife, "Curse God and die?"

17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

That was Job's wife. And it has nothing to do with this conversation.

18. Heavenly Pilgrim

Amy, what about you? Are there any conditions man must fulfill to be saved?

19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Enjoy the game!

My post is for the readers - the point I raised will be apparent to many Bible students -- (but you probably already knew that.:type: )

in Christ,

Bob

20. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The default position being that God is calling you as the elect to be saved, that God has died for your sins, that God's Holy Spirit is convicting you of sin and righteousness and judgment - and that He does this for ALL.

In John 1 - Jesus is "The light that coming into the world enlightens EVERY man"

In Rev 3 "I stand at the door and knock - if ANYONE hears my voice and opens the door -- I WILL come in"

As you say - the individual would have to say "no to God"

Thus this is not a case of arbitrary selection at all. God is reaching out to ALL "I will draw ALL unto Me" John 12:32.

But ALL do not choose to accept.

in Christ,

Bob