1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cause and Effect/Conditions of Salvation

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Heavenly Pilgrim, Apr 22, 2010.

1. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Giving up soon? I thought you and Bob would know the answer. It isn't too hard if you think about it.

If you knew by allowing your child to ride the bike your child would be killed, would you still allow your child to ride the bike?

Think about the question. (Hint: God is omnipotent)

:thumbsup:

2. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Did Jesus say... "You choose me,I did not choose you" ? No No No... I will reiterate what the Master teacher said, "YOU DID NOT CHOOSE ME,BUT I HAVE CHOSEN YOU". I think even a child can get that!

#62 Jedi Knight, Apr 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2010
  3. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    God "chose" to "so love the World" -- yes "really"! (And that is where 4 and 5 point Calvinism falls apart)

In the Gospels Christ "Chose" the disciples - and then they had to choose if they wanted to accept. Being chosen for a specific role in ministry - is very different from being loved by God because God CHOSE to "so love the WORLD" that He gave His son as "The Atoning sacrifice for OUR sins and not for OUR sins only but for the sins of the WHOLE WORLD".

God CHOSE to take that path. Thus He CHOOSES to "Stand at the door and knock - if ANYONE hears His voice and OPENS the door - He will come in"

It all starts with God CHOOSING - we all agree.

4. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Just trying to give you time to think through the problem.

Hint: God is "bigger" than "a god of robots".

But if "Calvinists were god" they would be hard pressed to do anything beyond "making robots" so that they could "be in charge" of what everyone did.

The lesson so difficult to learn within Calvinism is "it is really hard to BE God".

Thus free will is beyond the Calvinist model because Calvinism's highest goal is "robots".

in Christ,

Bob

5. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

There is one split nanosecond when the Calvinist, or those leaning hard towards Calvinism, sometimes 'appear' to unlocked of the ‘robot’ syndrome, and for this split nanosecond somehow manages to make one single ‘free will choice’ of salvation………and then ZAP! Free will vanishes as fast as it mysteriously arrived. Saved for all eternity regardless of any thing they do from thence forward.

But then again, according to the manner in which JK and others interpret the Scripture, even then God in reality does the choosing and not man. Could it be that by sometimes mentioning that ‘flash’ or ‘milesecond’ of so-called 'free will' they in reality are using it more as a convenient sophistic tool than a firm belief? Could it be possible that the following statement is true? "Their freewill is no free will at all."

6. Heavenly Pilgrim

One of the main purposes of this thread was to allow those stating that there are no conditions to salvation explain how that can be possible apart from determinism. As a side issue, those claiming that there are no conditions yet say man must accept the free gift, how can one accept or reject a free gift without an act of the will?

This thread provides an excellent opportunity for some to do something positive, and show clearly how myself, or others, are misunderstanding them or misrepresenting their views when a comparison is drawn between their views and those of the deterministic system of Calvinism. I for one am listening and will consider carefully the presentation of your views. :wavey:

7. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: The real question remains JK, i.e., but how does God choose?? Is it arbitrary selection? If so, double predestination rules. Explain to the list how God chooses without double predestination being an unavoidable consequence.

If you asked me, I would say that God chooses who will be saved by those that He foreknows will voluntarily fulfill the stated conditions of salvation He has set forth. No double predestination or predestination of the damned here.

8. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

Read John 13:1 having LOVED HIS OWN which were in the world, HE LOVED THEM unto the end. John 17.. I DO NOT pray for the world,but for THOSE YOU HAVE GIVEN ME. Jesus never said you chose me because I first chose you.....rather you did not choose me.

#68 Jedi Knight, Apr 25, 2010
  9. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

Double predestination? I don't find that in scripture. What I do find is that ALL have sinned and deserve Hell and seperation.....would you agree? Does ANYONE deserve Gods mercy? Yes or No? Is it fair and just if God leaves us in our sin and seperate us forever? If God wanted to show mercy on some does that make Him unjust?

#69 Jedi Knight, Apr 25, 2010
  10. Heavenly Pilgrim

JK, re-read post #68. Is that what you really wanted to say?

11. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Certainly, but if you hold to ‘all are born sinners’ (Original sin) you have God blaming men and punishing men for sin they in reality could not have avoided. Coming from your position of original sin they do not ‘deserve’ hell in the least. It was simply their fate. In that case, justice would demand they have an opportunity at mercy afforded them if God is going to punish them for such an unavoidable fate.
    HP: Deserve ‘mercy’ or an ‘opportunity to receive mercy?’ Again, that depends. If God is going to blame men for something they could not have avoided, justice would demand that all receive an opportunity to receive mercy.

HP: Are you starting to see it depends on whether or not men are sinners due to their own formed selfish intents or whether they were created that way?

HP: Again, that would depend on why they are sinners. If no other possibility existed other than to be a sinner, justice would demand an opportunity of salvation be afforded them. If they are willing rebels due to their own choices, having a contrary choice possible at least in the first portion of entering into a moral state, no. God in that case is under no obligation to provide an escape period.

Do you see how the notion of original sin, either in agreement to or in opposition of, drives the conclusions to your questions?

#71 Heavenly Pilgrim, Apr 25, 2010
  12. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

You think God owes you is the sum of it all. You believe in Double Debt .....He owes you a chance,and He owes you IF you keep yourself saved untill the end. God's in debt to HP!

#72 Jedi Knight, Apr 25, 2010
  13. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: :rolleyes: No, God owes me nothing having created me with the power of contrary choice and a free will to choose.

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

1. Do you keep your salvation?
    2 Does God keep your salvation?

Think hard about those two questions before answering them. For if you keep your salvation then God's work is not sufficient enough on the cross to atone for your sins. You must help him by keeping it yourself.

If God keeps your salvation then salvation is all of God with no conditions attached.

If conditions are attached then salvation is works-based and not of grace through faith. It is either all of God or it is of man. You can't have it both.

15. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: God does the keeping, but will not keep apart from my fulfilling the conditions He sets forth. Here is just one of Gods warning to you and me as Gentile believers: Ro 11:21 For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.

Forgive me DHK, but I see your position as one of stark contradictions. You say there are no conditions to salvation and yet you say one must accept the gift. Can you tell us how accepting a gift is not meeting a condition? Would not you also say that if one rejects the gift one cannot be saved? Both accepting and rejecting involve the formation of an intent of the will by man, so why again is accepting a gift not the fulfilling of a condition in order to receive salvation?

16. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

"Ro 11:21" You should not to cut and paste like you are...... it does not apply to what your trying to prove. How about NEVER will I leave you!

17. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

He won't leave us, but we can leave Him.

18. Heavenly Pilgrim

Lori, although I believe I know where you are coming from, and as such would basically agree with you, is there not clear promises of God that He can and will forsake those that forsake him?
    De 31:16 And the LORD said unto Moses, Behold, thou shalt sleep with thy fathers; and this people will rise up, and go a whoring after the gods of the strangers of the land, whither they go to be among them, and will forsake me, and break my covenant which I have made with them.
    De 31:17 Then my anger shall be kindled against them in that day, and I will forsake them, and I will hide my face from them, and they shall be devoured, and many evils and troubles shall befall them; so that they will say in that day,

Ro 15:4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning,

1Co 10:11 Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.

#78 Heavenly Pilgrim, Apr 25, 2010
  19. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You and HP sure are fascinated with Calvin. I really sgould take the time to read his writings sometime.

Anyways, back to my question which you guys were so stumped on...

If you knew by allowing your child to ride the bike your child would be killed, would you still allow your child to ride the bike?

Well, if you were God, then yes.

God knew Adam would fall and die if He placed the forbidden tree within his reach, but God still placed the tree there and allowed Adam to eat and die.

Why?

God also knew He could raise Adam from the dead and restore Adam to an even better than his original condition.

:jesus:

20. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is an interesting pov.

How can can one who is created in Jesus Christ able to leave themselves?

:jesus: